Menu

Year-end Review - Day 9

Granny_Weatherwax

I met many new people this year (tennis buddies, team partners, co-workers, the college team players) and I am thankful for each one. There is one person who stands out, however, as being a real life changer for me and my family - my future DSIL.

He truly loves DD and DGD and makes them happy. The laughter, hope, and love he has brought to our home is immeasurable. 

• Like 4

Nope, can't answer this one either. My journal would be filled with empty pages! The only people I've met are at the Humane Society when I volunteer but none I can say I'm glad I met them. At this stage, one person explaining how to do something is as good as the next one who can explain the same thing. Of all the people there, I know the names of 3 of them. Those are the ones I work with. No one else has come forward to introduce themselves or welcome me. They're busy doing their jobs. Perhaps they see volunteers come and go as well, so maybe they don't make the effort because they don't know how long I'll be there.

• Like 1

I can't limit it to just one!

A new colleague who started working with us this fall and turns out to share several of my personal interests. I also enjoyed meeting his wife.

A young woman who is professor in another department and just moved here in October; she is interesting and fun.

Several of my students this semester with whom I developed closer relationships; I am looking forward to having them again in January.

• Like 1

This is perhaps a different take on the question. I have been doing family history and ancestry investigation this whole year, so my person(s) I am glad I “met†are great-grandparents and great-great grandparents. I found the grave site of my great-grandparents on my mother’s side, only about six miles from where my family, through my in-laws (so, unrelated to my great-grandparents) have our beach house. I also learned that my great-great grandmother in that lineage was purportedly full-blooded Piscataway Native American, though she used the Christian name Rebecca.

On my father’s side, I found the great-grandparents who came directly from Ireland, during the time of the potato famine (so, presumably, related to that great migration) and the great-great grandparents on dad’s mother's side who came directly from Germany. I find this all so interesting. The Mother Lode, if I managed to find it, would be learning the actual towns and villages in Ireland and Germany from which they came. And in my mother’s lineage, the Mother Lode would be learning when the ancestors came from England and if they arrived directly in St. Mary’s or Calvert counties. That family line has been from that area as far back as I was able to trace, so from at least the 1700s, but I would like to know if it goes all the way back to the mid-1600s with the orginal English settlers. 😊

Wow, that was a long-winded review answer! 😂

• Like 4

I had to think about this a bit since my social circle is made up of a lot of long term friendships. And even my neighbors etc have been here for a long time! So my answer is Bailey the rabbit! We saw her at the shelter last December and picked her out. She was scared and scarred from having been ripped open by other rabbits (they can be fierce). She’s had bunny ptsd but slowly we’ve turned her into a loving bunny who comes running when I call out “raisin!†She rules the roost over the cat, dog and even the other bunny. I was cuddling her yesterday and she actually cuddled with me instead of giving me little squeaks of fear like she did in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Maybe not "met" this year, but got to know much better-- the volunteer team and staff department I do conservation work with. They're amazing: funny, smart, dedicated, friendly. Good people.

• Like 1

A person I am glad I met

is my daughter's new friend. I'm happy that my daughters have been making new friends at the local library including one girl who really tries hard to get lots of the kids to come and interact with one another. It's nice to have such a caring accepting girl come into their lives and show them friendship.

• Like 1

I met a bunch of people this year, but none that I can't live without.  I did get to know 2 friends better this year, and I'm glad for that. 

If anything, I struggled to have any desire for new or deeper connections. Two years ago, dh and I had a deep friendship (a couple) go down in flames and I've really struggled to care at all about anyone outside of a very tight circle of trusted people. Basically, I'm not sure that I want any new friends. Ever.

• Like 3

I read this question and had to wonder about myself this year. I really don't think I have gotten to know anybody new. Of course I have been introduced to new people but I haven't bothered to really get to know any of them. That is so not like me but I haven't really been feeling like me. One of next year's goals is to make a new friend.

• Like 1