Menu

Assuming you are not a teetotaler, which do you think is the better model for a teen?

Ginevra

I don't drink at all and drive. I also don't enjoy drinking during the day. So my boys have, all their lives, heard Husband ask me before we walk into a pub at lunchtime, 'Are you happy to drive if I have a beer?' I see this as good training.

Under Scotland's new rules, a single drink could put you over the limit. I support the new law.

• Like 7

I don't drink - but grew up in a family that did, and my siblings do.  (plus, my girls lived away at a college where underage drinking happened and the school ignored it.)

I think the modeling responsible drinking behavior is always preferable. not drinking until drunk (how many drinks that takes varies according to body weight, what they've been eating, how fast they've been drinking, etc.) - and someone being a designated driver, as even a buzz will reduce response times while driving.  (when dd has gone out with work friends - she's automatically the designated driver becasue she doesn't drink.)

• Like 1

I always think about this now that my son is out and about past my own bedtime.  If I have 2 glasses of wine before bed and he has an accident at midnight will I be ok to go to where he is?  

Having kids or people you love sure puts a damper on one's life sometimes.  LOL

Oh my goodness, this is so true! 

We got a call a couple of months ago from ds(16) who had been pulled over with a broken head light. When they ran his license, it didn't come up that he was licensed!  :scared: (It was a clerical error on DMV's part, has been remedied.) So we had to drive out and get him (and drive his car home). We had thought we were in for the night and dh had about 2.5 glasses of wine over a few hours (probably generous pours). He's a big guy and wasn't feeling buzzed or anything but the police officer could smell it on his breath and had him take a breathalyzer! (Ds found this really funny...) He was within legal limits so we could each drive a car home but OH MY GOODNESS, it definitely proved Scarlett's point. Eegads.

• Like 2

Oh my goodness, this is so true!

We got a call a couple of months ago from ds(16) who had been pulled over with a broken head light. When they ran his license, it didn't come up that he was licensed! :scared: (It was a clerical error on DMV's part, has been remedied.) So we had to drive out and get him (and drive his car home). We had thought we were in for the night and dh had about 2.5 glasses of wine over a few hours (probably generous pours). He's a big guy and wasn't feeling buzzed or anything but the police officer could smell it on his breath and had him take a breathalyzer! (Ds found this really funny...) He was within legal limits so we could each drive a car home but OH MY GOODNESS, it definitely proved Scarlett's point. Eegads.

Yikes!

• Like 1

Dh and I both drink.  We keep quite a bit of wine in the house to have with dinners, and then during summer we have beer while grilling out.

We've always made it a point to teach good habits when it comes to drinking:

1. If you drink anything, please don't drive.

2. Always make sure you have a sober driver.

So when we go out to dinner, only one of us will order a drink.  When we have wine with dinner, we make sure we have nowhere to be after that.

Oldest DS texted me from college.  Two of his friends invited him out and he passed.  Turns out they got in a car with a drunk driver and got into an accident.  It was by grace that no one was seriously hurt.  DS thanked us for being *those* parents for being strict with him but teaching him how to handle alcohol responsibly.

Long story short: teaching your kids to be prudent when it comes to drinking could save their life.  If we had budged on the rule and had him do the math on how long/how many, he may not be making the best decision.

Yep, this is me/us exactly.

• Like 1

I think the best part of the plan is when that child picks you up, my bet is that you won’t be sloppy drunk. You might even act totally sober. And that’s a good lesson- that the line isn’t at visibly drunk, the line is waaaay before it.

Yes, I like that, too.