Menu

Snow, snow, snow

Night Elf

I live in N. GA, well close to it at least, and it's been snowing since I woke up early this morning. It's supposed to snow all day. It's finally starting to stick to my driveway but I'm assuming our roads are still fine. I don't mind snow but I dislike ice. We can't leave our house when the driveway is icy because the driveway is long, skinny, and goes over a little creek. I've lived here for 12 years now and I'm still afraid I'm going to drive off into that ditch. 

• Like 4

My kids are all wide eyed and happy about the snow. I feel like such a grinch because I have to deal with getting back and forth to work, getting unhappy employees back and forth to work, and other such things. I remember when snow used to be fun!

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 1

If there is a Bridge over that creek, Bridges Ice First. There are signs all over the State of Texas that say that. You are more likely to find Ice on Bridges,  before there is Ice on the road.

Oh no, nothing fancy like that. It's more a ditch with a small amount of water flowing through it. It goes into a pipe that goes under the width of our driveway then it's back to rock and dirt ditch.

• Like 1

Oh no, nothing fancy like that. It's more a ditch with a small amount of water flowing through it. It goes into a pipe that goes under the width of our driveway then it's back to rock and dirt ditch.

It will still ice over.

We have a spot like that in our drive and despite the fact that there's a few feet of dirt between the culvert and the drive, it still gets icy. 

Be careful.

Now I'm going to text my dad. He's in North GA!

• Like 1

It will still ice over.

We have a spot like that in our drive and despite the fact that there's a few feet of dirt between the culvert and the drive, it still gets icy. 

Be careful.

Now I'm going to text my dad. He's in North GA!

Okay, thanks for the warning. FWIW, when my driveway ices, my next door neighbor drives his bobcat with shovel over my driveway scraping away all the ice. He does it for many of his neighbors. Personally I think he's just using an excuse to use it. He's a sweet man.

• Like 5

Okay, thanks for the warning. FWIW, when my driveway ices, my next door neighbor drives his bobcat with shovel over my driveway scraping away all the ice. He does it for many of his neighbors. Personally I think he's just using an excuse to use it. He's a sweet man.

I'd love a neighbour like that. Unfortunately, with all our snow, the novelty would wear off really quickly. ;)

• Like 1

I'm in NC. We were supposed to just get a bit of slushy wet snow but an hour or so ago they put us under a winter storm warning. Not sure how much we're supposed to get now, but the ground is covered and it's coming down pretty heavily.

Same. We had 2 good hours of snow but the ground was too wet for it to stick. Now it has switched back to rain.

We're enjoying our Atlanta snow, too. Getting a message at 11:41 that school was closing at noon, not so much. So, so glad we are home schooling starting next semester. I'd complain, but I'm pretty sure the parents who were at work an hour away and got the message even after I did will be tying up the lines for the foreseeable future.

Just love how the forecasters bungled this one. I went to bed last night with them saying "a dusting" and we're currently at 3.5 inches. Our county closed schools early (my highschooler was home by 11:45). Hoping that it warms up enough to clear the road in my neighborhood. We have our church Christmas party tomorrow night and my 9 yo has a piano recital on Sun.

We saw icy mix falling. None of stuck. (Roads are a bit slippery, though.) My ds works about 45 minutes north west of us. There was two inches (per him) of snow on the ground when he left work this afternoon. Snow sticking within 20 minutes of us! But not at my house.  :toetap05:

I hope you have power. Everyone we know is out. Ours went out at midnight and Im kind of over it.

Ours went out yesterday around 4pm, came back on for about an hour at 3am and is still out now with an estimated fix time of 2pm. Hmm, we'll see. A hot shower would be really nice!

Are you by chance near the Baltimore area? Wondering if it would still be snowing in March when we plan a trip to JHU.

I am. I used to work in Baltimore City.

It does sometimes snow in March, but most of our snow comes in January or February. If your trip is towards the end of March, there’s very little likelihood of snow.

What we have on the ground right now is not even common for early to mid December.

• Like 1

It was really strange over here.  We had snow to the east, to the south and to the north but nothing for us.  Jackson MS got 5 inches and Mobile got snow and we got none.

As to hills and snow. when I lived in DC area and we got gigantic snows  (and Buffalo got very little that year), I got very good snow tires.  Over here, living on an even worse hill and my driveway being fairly steep, I have a Subaru Outback (AWD) and dh has a Toyota Tundra (4 wd).