Menu

200 Christmas presents

Guinevere

You have a quarter to spend on each person?

I think we need more information so we can come up with something clever for 200 people at a quarter a person. I mean, that's less than some gumballs in gumball machines.

Maybe that's it. Everyone gets a gumball.

• Like 12

Maybe there's something on the Oriental Trading Company website.

These bracelets are $1.98 for 12. I linked them because they were on the first page of the website. There are probably more things like this. http://www.orientaltrading.com/happy-birthday-jesus-friendship-bracelets-a2-4_1924.fltr?categoryId=551142

Edited by Garga
  • Like 4

Gumballs!!! Lol! That would be hilarious!

I guess I was hoping someone had a magical cheap but not tacky personalized bulk ornament link or something.

I could go to $100, maybe $150, but I'd rather not.

My husband has a bunch of students, college age, and would like to do something small for each of them.

• Like 5

Homemade bookmark?  Ribbon, yarn, or cardstock could be purchased for that amount. If you have access to a printer with ink you might be able to print out something simple on the cardstock. Bright pictures with lots of color would be out, though, due to the cost of ink. Most of the investment would be your time spent making the bookmarks.

• Like 6

Homemade bookmark?  Ribbon, yarn, or cardstock could be purchased for that amount. If you have access to a printer with ink you might be able to print out something simple on the cardstock. Bright pictures with lots of color would be out, though, due to the cost of ink. Most of the investment would be your time spent making the bookmarks.

You could use Christmas cards as the base for homemade bookmarks. It's a great way to use up any leftover cards from Christmases past!

• Like 2

Buy a big tub of cocoa mix and make cute individual bags like the reindeer ones ... or get spoons and dip them in chocolate for cute stirrers. You can get big packs of colored plastic spoons at the dollar store.

https://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/chocolate-spoons/df5b52b6-6684-4c48-92ba-ddc3357528ef

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 7

My husband has a bunch of students, college age, and would like to do something small for each of them.

Ah! Food then. Cheap and welcome to most college students. Candy bars bought in bulk with a bow on them. Or "melted snowman" -- https://www.cre8tivecompass.com/melted-snowman-white-hot-chocolate/

Even just a pack of popcorn with a corny (ha!) greeting would be nice -- "Keep on popping over the holiday!" I don't know, I'm sure you could come up with something better.

ETA: slr1765 posted the "snowman soup". That's what I was trying to find but I guess I didn't remember the name correctly. That's a fun one.

Edited by Cosmos
  • Like 5

I guess I was hoping someone had a magical cheap but not tacky personalized bulk ornament link or something.

Ok, wait a minute.

Your dh wants to do something for 200 college kids and we're all sitting here trying to come up with suggestions of things YOU can do for them.

I think your dh should start practicing his paper folding and potpourri-making! ;)

• Like 24

I would do something like a packages of hot chocolate (you can get those big boxes of 60 for $5-6 at Costco or Sam's) with a candy cane. Maybe a small bag of marshmallows tied together with a pretty ribbon.

I like this the best...affordable, festive and not too much work.

I'd skip the marshmallows, though. Adds to the cost and work. Imo

Print out a greeting and tape that with a candy cane to the packet of cocoa.

200 times.

• Like 5

That's a very sweet thing he wants to do but kind of crazy. Even decorating candy canes will take a while. I hope he plans to pitch in. Me personally, I'd just buy huge boxes of candy canes and hand one out to each person and say Merry Christmas and call it done. Kids get a kick out of stuff like that. It's the thought that counts.

• Like 15

Yes, think of the potential for paper cuts and exhausted fingers from cutting out all of those little paper squares and folding 200 paper cranes! :svengo:

The pain is real.

Working with lots of paper dries out your hands, which makes them crack and bleed and get hangnails easier. It is the same with working with textiles, yarn, etc...

How about a charitable donation made in honor of your dh's students?

While the premise of the idea is a valid one, it probably wouldn't mean much to many of the students.

I vote for food for them. OR go check out Party City. They' usually have some fun little knick-knacky toys for around 25 cents each. They might even enjoy them. I can just see 200 students seeing how high they can bounce their bouncy balls that came in their Christmas card! LOL Hmmm. Food might be better . . .

All that being said, I think your budget may need to be increased a bit.

• Like 2

I highly recommend staying away from cheap toys for 25 cents that nobody seems to value any more. We have huge ziplcos of those stuff that people always give and nobody uses. What my DS's music teacher did is to give every child a pencil or an eraser and a mandarin orange for Christmas. My son used the pencil he got and ate the orange. So, it was actually a good gift instead of a wasteful effort. 

For $50, if you went to Costco or Sam's Club, you could pick up trays of holiday cookies for 200 people. Just buy those cookies (I think each tray had 75 cookies in Costco) and a bag of festive napkins and ask your DH to hand over the cookies after class.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 15

Are these just college students in classes of his? I would suggest a big bowl of candy. Let them pick what they want when they turn in their finals. 

That really is nice of your DH but a lot of work for something that will not be very appreciated. At least, not much more than any random candy they can get their hands on.

• Like 6

I highly recommend staying away from cheap toys for 25 cents that nobody seems to value any more. We have huge ziplcos of those stuff that people always give and nobody uses. What my DS's music teacher did is to give every child a pencil or an eraser and a mandarin orange for Christmas. My son used the pencil he got and ate the orange. So, it was actually a good gift instead of a wasteful effort. 

For $50, if you went to Costco or Sam's Club, you could pick up trays of holiday cookies for 200 people. Just buy those cookies (I think each tray had 75 cookies in Costco) and a bag of festive napkins and ask your DH to hand over the cookies after class.

Also, are ALL 200 students going to be there the day before a holiday?

Cookies for those there and no leftovewrs because the kids will eat seconds if needed :)

• Like 3

The melted snowmen would be cute, and you could add a tag from dh that says this is probably how they feel after a semester in his class. You don't have to use bags to package them- I have used saran wrap and tied it closed with a bow. 

White almond bark is cheap right now, and the candies and pretzels to make the eyes, nose, and arms would be inexpensive. Saran wrap from the dollar store and some ribbon. 

That would be work for you, though. Any food gift would be welcome by college students. 

I like this the best...affordable, festive and not too much work.

I'd skip the marshmallows, though. Adds to the cost and work. Imo

Print out a greeting and tape that with a candy cane to the packet of cocoa.

200 times.

Quoting myself to add...any unused packets of cocoa could be donated to a soup kitchen or organization that can use them.

Let HIM figure it out. You can’t even get donuts for that amount.

Oh, actually, how about bringing in donuts or christmas cookies to class, and letting them snack during class? On the last day or something? 

Costco or somewhere has donuts cheap I'd think. 

• Like 4

Is it Finals Week this coming Monday?!?  Yes, a candy cane as they turn in their Final.  :)

Or you can copy the idea that our local engineering school did for the freshmen . . .

Gave them "lifesaver" candies as they ENTERED the room to take their (very difficult first) final exam.

Mint is supposed to stimulate brain activity.  :)

• Like 4

Is it Finals Week this coming Monday?!?  Yes, a candy cane as they turn in their Final.  :)

Or you can copy the idea that our local engineering school did for the freshmen . . .

Gave them "lifesaver" candies as they ENTERED the room to take their (very difficult first) final exam.

Mint is supposed to stimulate brain activity.  :)

Great idea!

• Like 3

Maybe he could do the baking since they are his students.

• Like 1

Ok, wait a minute.

Your dh wants to do something for 200 college kids and we're all sitting here trying to come up with suggestions of things YOU can do for them.

I think your dh should start practicing his paper folding and potpourri-making! ;)

I was about to post the same thing. If he wants to do this, then *he* should figure it out and make it happen.

• Like 1

I was about to post the same thing. If he wants to do this, then *he* should figure it out and make it happen.

Dh is *all* in. He will make cookies, he will fold whatever. He is not foisting an unpleasant task on me. I'm happy to help him! This is the idea stage, and a feasibility check. Since my dh doesnt hang around chat boards, I thought I'd see if you all had any great ideas.

• Like 12

Dh is *all* in. He will make cookies, he will fold whatever. He is not foisting an unpleasant task on me. I'm happy to help him! This is the idea stage, and a feasibility check. Since my dh doesnt hang around chat boards, I thought I'd see if you all had any great ideas.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

It could end up being a fun project because you'll be working together on it!

• Like 2

Why all the negative-nellies? Guys, it’s CHRISTMAS!!

Can’t a person actually want to help their partner do something kind? Goodness, I could understand it if she seemed to want commiseration on ‘having’ to do this... but to see multiple posts telling her to have him figure it out is quite pathetic. So much for the season of love, family, and holiday spirit! You’ve out-Scrooged yourselves this time.

"Where do you think you're going? Nobody's leaving. Nobody's walking out on this fun, old-fashioned family Christmas. No, no. We're all in this together. This is a full-blown, four-alarm holiday emergency here. We're gonna press on, and we're gonna have the hap, hap, happiest Christmas since Bing Crosby tap-danced with Danny &%*"'+! Kaye. And when Santa squeezes his fat white &$+ down that chimney tonight, he's gonna find the jolliest bunch of &$++-#(:! this side of the nuthouse."

• Like 8