Menu

Great Courses Plus, Amazon Great Courses Signature Collection, Etc.

We love the Great Courses. Years ago, we purchased the courses we needed when they were on sale. The majority of those courses were video/DVD. When they added free streaming to our purchases a couple of years ago, we either watch on an iPad or with the DVD on TV. I've listened to a couple of courses through Audible, but I find that I don't sustain focus as well with audio only.

Having said all that, I am trying to figure out what the best option for additional courses is going forward. Here are the options I see:

1. Buy the DVDs or buy the video downloads; use streaming as a convenience tool

2. Subscribe to Great Courses Plus (I'd would love to do this when they run a promo, but I haven't caught one lately)

3. Amazon Great Courses Signature Collection video streaming (I haven't figured out completely yet how this works. I have to subscribe to Amazon Video for one fee plus another fee for GCSC access? Or can I buy the courses I want and access them through my Amazon video library?)

I admit that I am a bit overwhelmed by how to decide which option is the most economical as well as the most useful. I realize that the latter is up to me to decide, but I've gotten myself wound into knots trying to sift through the options.

Would anyone want to share what they do and why they prefer that option? Is there anything I am missing? TIA.

Another option--maybe you are already aware--is to check your local public library to see what they have available.  Would hate to see you miss out on free, if it's an option.  

Our library has some but not all the great courses DVDs, and some DVDs for parts of some of the courses are missing.  So I'm just watching through the ones they have and will decide later if it's worth it to pay for the rest.  

Yes, we love the library! Our library has quite a few of the Great Courses series, but not the more recent releases. They also loan the series they do have for a two-week loan period with no renewals. I haven’t figured out how to have my kids watch and take a few notes on a 36-lecture series in two weeks and still work in their other subjects. :) I’ve considered selecting the most important 15-20 lectures to view in those two weeks. Some lecture series, however, are very linear or sequential, so we would just have to watch them in order and get done only what we get done.

I still haven’t decided what direction to take. We still have about half of two series that we own on DVD to finish before we tackle anything new.

Our library will renew some items for teaching purposes. If it's a small library it would be worth checking. Also see if they have Hoopla. It's a video streaming service libraries have, and it includes some Great Courses. Another option might be to "return" your item to a circulation clerk and tell them one of your kids wants to check it out right now.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Our library is tiny and only offers two or three GC courses. The only other library is 45 mins. away. 

As someone who has been designing/writing all DD's classes, I really needed a framework to scaffold each subject (other than Bible). Once GCP became available, I took the plunge and signed up for an annual subscription. DD absolutely LOVES it and usually chooses most of her classes from there; then I build around them. It's the only subscription we pay for and is well worth the money for us. 

I have TOG years 2-4. I always planned to return to it for high school.  Therefore next year, 10th grade, we'll be using TOG Y2 because I really like TOG's Rhetoric book selection and need a break from writing all the comprehension/discussion, quiz, & test questions for each and every class. In addition, I love the fact that it has philosophy, government and worldview built right in.  I can't wait to incorporate all the wonderful GCP lectures into that. It will actually be hard to limit the plethora of choices available. There are 4 courses for the Middle Ages alone! While DD is enjoying this year's studies, she's also looking forward next year as well.  GCP has enhanced her education and, for us, her enthusiasm alone makes the subscription worth the price.

• Like 2

We opted in to Great Courses Plus a couple of months ago when they offered 50% off an annual subscription.  We own quite a few courses on DVD but jumped at the opportunity to have access to such a vast number at any time.  Our library system offers a number of Great Courses on DVD but we strongly prefer being on our schedule (versus on the library system's schedule) and literally having access to any course we want anywhere we want. 

• Like 1

I get a great deal of use from the Great Courses Plus.  My older child is still a bit "young" (either chronologically or maturity-wise) to enjoy the courses as a general rule, but I am thinking that we'll work through the ancient Greek language course together starting in the New Year. 

The only need it doesn't fill, course-wise, is that I'd like to be able to download some things and listen from my portable device while I do housework or walk/run.  But if you are not wanting audio, then that isn't a problem. 

ETA: for me, the GCP is much better than the library, because it is often hard for me to get to the library; I tend to let due dates fly by; AND if Life Happens and I pause a course for a month or two (happened with our new puppy) I can just pick things up again.  It really suits how my life runs right now. 

Edited by serendipitous journey

For those of you who don't like what your library offers, double check to make sure your library doesn't have Hoopla. (hopefully the link works) If they do, it won't show up in a regular search, you have to look for it on the homepage with the eBooks and such. There are more titles there than on the GC Plus page as far as I can tell, and you can download to your device (they expire after a set period of time.)

The trade off is that there is usually a limit to how many you can check out per month (1 lecture = 1 check out) and there are no course guides (so the Greek, French, Spanish, etc would probably be a better deal through Plus if you get the course book- and can print it). Since we have multiple accounts at two libraries, we can check out around 30 lectures a month. The ones we need to own we wait and buy on super-duper sale (French, and a few lit courses that aren't available on Hoopla or Plus). Usually the ones we need to own are because we will use them over a whole year or more, and at that point, even with Plus on sale, we come out ahead.

We don't usually use more than one or two courses a year for school. The rest is just a pick and choose thing since sometimes the courses are so repetitious.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1