Menu

6th grade math, specifically Saxon 7/6

Dd is doing Saxon 7/6. We have had our struggles with math in general, but we are sticking with Saxon. My question is specifically about the equations in there and correct expectations for an 11 year old. In 7/6, they have simple equatIons like 6x=18 or 10-n=3 Dd can get the correct answer without a problem, but writing out all the steps completely blows her mind. I know we must move to writing out all the steps, for sure. No need to convince me of that. However, my question is this: in the Saxon book and TM, there are never any examples of writing out the equation. It just shows the simple math necessary. I showed her how to write out the equation. So is writing out the equation something they show later? Is this some sort of developmental thing she's not ready for and Saxon doesn't expect her to do yet anyway? I found some samples of the Algebra 1/2 online and it shows detailed writing out of equations.

Those examples are definitely not beyond the developmental level of 11 yr olds. Those types of problems are often introduced at much younger ages.

The simplest explanation would be to demonstrate that the = sign in an equation means that both sides must balance each other. You can draw a simple "teeter totter" balance with the pivot point under the =. Then simply demonstrate how if you perform an action on one side of the equation that you must perform it on the other side as well in order to keep the scale balanced.

Start off with simple ones. N+2=5. To isolate n, subtract 2 from both sides. (N+2-2=5-2, n+0=3) 5*n=10 To isolate n, / both sides by 5 ((5*n)/5)=10/5), etc.

For the example of 10-n=3, subtract 3 from both sides, 10-n-3=3-3, so 10-n-3=0 then add n to both sides, so 10-3=n, solve.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 1

My daughter is in 6/5 and I don't have her do all the writing it out yet. For something like 6m=18 I just ask her what times 6 equals 18? I approach it that way for her, she gets frustrated and overwhelmed easily, as the problems get more complicated  we'll have to go more detailed with problem solving but for now this works.

• Like 1

I had the same issues with 7/6. I just assumed that later Saxon would teach all of the steps and ask for them to be written down. I wished they would have gone through it at this point. Unfortunately for me my son is an extreme rule follower and "because the book didn't tell me to do the balancing on each side that's not what they're asking me to do."  :cursing:

I'm also hoping you get some answers!

Later Saxon teaches the steps. Right now it is merely intuitive.

That seems to make sense. I mean Saxon is so completely laid out for you, they even write down how 4 plus 4 is eight, so I can't figure out how they are omitting writing out the equations. Over the last couple of months I have gone from being a hard nose about writing it out, to then thinking I was unduly traumatizing my child into hating equations and Saxon didn't actually mean for her to write them out because that's not what's in the TM, to hearing how my public school and homeschool friends do have their kids write out the equations, and I am confused. Please other Saxon folks chime in.

• Like 1

That seems to make sense. I mean Saxon is so completely laid out for you, they even write down how 4 plus 4 is eight, so I can't figure out how they are omitting writing out the equations. Over the last couple of months I have gone from being a hard nose about writing it out, to then thinking I was unduly traumatizing my child into hating equations and Saxon didn't actually mean for her to write them out because that's not what's in the TM, to hearing how my public school and homeschool friends do have their kids write out the equations, and I am confused. Please other Saxon folks chime in.

I have been through the exact same process. If Kinsa says that they teach it later that makes me feel better. I have, like you, just dropped having DS write them out. I will make him do so later when they teach the "why" of things (though my preference would be to just introduce the "why" first...)

I emailed Art Reed, who does the Saxon DVDs. Although I don't think I will wait until she discovers the need to write out equations herself, I feel better about not doing it NOW.

The Math 76 textbook starts the introduction to simple algebra

phrases, equations and concepts.

By time the student's reach the algebra 1/2 book or the early

parts of the algebra 1 book, they either have figured out they

need to write down the necessary data and equations or admit they

are a literature major and not suited for math.

As long as you do not award partial credit on the weekly tests

and score each test question as worth five points - of which all

parts must be correct to get those five points - the student will

quickly learn that they must be able to separate the essential

data from the non-essential data and record what is necessary to

solve the problem correctly.

Learning the basic simple concepts in the Math 76 book is more

important than recording everything one believes necessary for

the solution - as some students still do much of the basic

computations in their head as they do not feel the need to write

it down - yet!

Mr. Reed