Menu

Math for 5 year old

mykidsrmyjoy

Amy suggestions for a good, inexpensive math program for dd5? She's finished the CLE kindergarten series and has a pretty good grasp of numbers, adding, subtracting, and skip counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s. I want to start her in CLE math 1 next year, but would like recommendations for something simple and inexpensive to use right now. Any suggestions?

I’d highly recommend one or two miquon books with some C rods. The books are around $9 and you can get a nice set of the rods for $15.

I've thought about using the orange book but have read that some people think it's hard to teach. Would I need to purchase the teacher's guide or would I be able to teach the workbook without it?

CLE 1

One benefit of homeschooling is being able to meet the child where she is. If she has finished CLE K and seems ready for CLE 1, then I would not hold her back due to an arbitrary grade designation.

Wendy

I have considered doing this, except that Im not sure if DD is ready for the amount of writing involved. I would almost like to spend the next few months solidifying what she's already learned in a fun, quick way each day. I'm also teaching a 1st grader this year and I'm not sure if I have time to teach another full-blown math curriculum.

What about more mathy games and playing a basic kind of store and doing some cooking and math based projects together?

Have you looked at anything on this thread?  Most things are probably too old for her but there might be some fun stuff there...

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/499692-looking-to-do-some-relaxed-math-here-want-to-share-ideas/

• Like 1

Agree with others, though, if you think she is ready for the level of CLE 1 but not the writing, scribe for her.  Do some on a dry erase board.  Do some collaboratively.  Cut out some of the review if she doesn't seem to need every single problem.  I would still add in mathy games and real life math, though.  This is a great age for that.

Maybe make some giant die out of boxes and contact paper.  

What about CLE at a slower pace. Perhaps just do 1/2 lesson a day or a lesson 3 times a week. This would cut down on your time and her writing but keep her moving ahead. Get the number writing book and calendar book from CLE to do with informal math on off days if you do it 3 days a week.

• Like 2

I have considered doing this, except that Im not sure if DD is ready for the amount of writing involved. I would almost like to spend the next few months solidifying what she's already learned in a fun, quick way each day. I'm also teaching a 1st grader this year and I'm not sure if I have time to teach another full-blown math curriculum.

What I'm doing right now with my K-er, which is cheap, quick, enjoyable, and requires almost no prep is a combination of using the rods along with Gattegno's free math textbook. This seems to me a good alternative to Miquon if you like the idea of working with the rods (they're awesome!) but don't want to invest time/energy in another curriculum. My 5 year old spends about 5 minutes a day on one of these exercises, and then...we play a game!

I keep a game shelf just for her that she can choose from. Any game with dice, counting spaces, playing cards, dominoes, Rush Hour, checkers, and a few more obviously mathy games like Money Bags and I Sea Ten. I'd say any of these, along with living math books (like in the MathStart series) would be a good way to solidify what's she learned, have fun, and promote the idea that math is not just filling in workbook pages!

Edited by fralala
  • Like 2

I've thought about using the orange book but have read that some people think it's hard to teach. Would I need to purchase the teacher's guide or would I be able to teach the workbook without it?

It’s not really hard to teach. A few pages will leave you puzzled, just skip those. I bought the teacher books but never used them.

I like the miquon suggestion. It comes at things from a different angle than CLE. I think it is awesome for building number sense and mental flexibility. I would actually get orange and red. You need the annotations too, but can probably skip the other books if you’re just using it as extra fun math to fill in rather than a full fledged curriculum.

The gattengo option is good too. Also check out the videos on education unboxed. That will give you an idea of what the implementation might look like.

Lastly, you could look at mep 1. It’s free and doesn’t require tons of writing. You actively teach the lesson. I could go on and on about it... http://www.cimt.org.uk/projects/mepres/primary/index.htm#year1