Menu

I need more podcasts! Anyone listen to Dirty John yet?

Moxie

I love true detective podcasts! They make cleaning so much more enjoyable. Please share your favorites.

I highly recommend Dirty John. It is the true story of a professional conman and how he impacts an entire family.

Edited by Moxie

Have you tried Casefile? It's Australian, and the host covers cases mostly from that region, Britain, and North America. I'm listening to the three-part series on Jonestown as I type.

I also like Criminal, hosted by Phoebe Judge. 

ETA: I mostly listen while I clean too. I should be folding laundry right now. ;) 

Edited by Zuzu822

I read that one and one of my favorite ASMR artists covered it.

It scared me, TBH. My grandmother married a similar con man despite so many warnings from family, including her mother. He hated us so much and I really believed he would have killed my great grandmother once, had she not chased him out of her house with a rifle.

He died in his sleep fifteen years ago and my grandmother still worships his memory. He swindled her out of at least fifty grand that I know of. But she was desperate for love and her said all the right words.

OH MY WORD. What a nut that lady was to stay with him!!!

I love Criminal.... Serial.... Sworn... Up and Vanished was excellent.

My takeaway-both of those daughters were primed to stay with the wrong man by their crazy, zealous mother.

I have a great aunt who fell madly in love with a man she met on the internet who lived somewhere in Africa and was easily 20 years younger. She sent him money for plane tickets, the whole thing. He never came, of course. She finally had her sister cut her internet off because she couldn’t stop herself from responding to him, even knowing he was a scammer. Denial isn’t just a river in Egypt and loneliness (she was a widow and never very bright) is powerful stuff.

I was so frustrated with the woman in Dirty John that I really did not enjoy the podcast. I go through a lot of podcasts because I listen while I run (and I run very slowly), so I have a low threshold for entertainment value on a podcast. I almost could not finish. If I were her daughter, our relationship would have been irreparably damaged. What hole was there in her soul that let her prioritize this con man over everything else?

How does one find podcasts to listen to?  itunes, Amazon?  I'm so behind the times.

There have been a couple of threads recently on podcasts.  You should be able to find them via google.  

If you have a podcast app, you can browse by subject.  

Google "podcasts" and you'll find lists from various organizations (NPR, The Atlantic, iTunes, etc)

I love true detective podcasts! They make cleaning so much more enjoyable. Please share your favorites.

I highly recommend Dirty John. It is the true story of a professional conman and how he impacts an entire family.

Do you listen to Crime Writers On?

They review podcasts and other pop culture media, mostly based on crime. They have lots of recommends and then they talk about them.