What's with the ads?

#1 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6654 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:33 PM

Since so many of you have done dna testing, or know someone who has...

I bought 23 and me kits for dh and myself for Christmas. We won't open and use the kits til then, so I can return if needed. We only plan to so ancestry, not health, as of right now. I want to sign up on ancestry.com anyway, in February (because I will go part time at work then and should have time to spend on the site) but have wanted to for a long time.

If I am going to join ancestry.com, should I have bought a different company's kit?

What are the different sites I should join to make the most of our info?

What facebook groups have been helpful?

What else should I know?

Thank you!!!

Edited by myblessings4, 07 December 2017 - 04:33 PM.

• JoJosMom likes this

#2 Myra

Myra

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

And I would like more information for medical dna kits.  I'd like to know about Alzheimer's and later stage dementia.   Do the DNA kits test specifically for this area?

#3 elegantlion

elegantlion

Wandering and Wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28049 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:29 PM

My mom and I are considering doing this too. So interested in which ones might be better if most of your ancestry is North American and Western European. 

#4 JoJosMom

JoJosMom

NBWG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7436 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:31 PM

:lurk5:

#5 Element

Element

Head Gamemaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1632 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

And I would like more information for medical dna kits.  I'd like to know about Alzheimer's and later stage dementia.   Do the DNA kits test specifically for this area?

23 & Me, the more expensive medical version, tests for Late-Onset Alzheimer's Disease. No mention of dementia tests. Here's what it says about the Alzheimer's test: 

Intended Uses
  • Tests for the ε4 variant in the APOE gene associated with an increased risk of developing late-onset Alzheimer's disease.
Limitations
  • Does not include all possible variants or genes associated with late-onset Alzheimer's disease.
  • Does not include any variants or genes linked to early-onset Alzheimer's disease.
  • Does not determine a person's full APOE genotype.
Important Ethnicities
  • The ε4 variant included in this test is found and has been studied in many ethnicities. Detailed risk estimates have been studied the most in people of European descent.

• StartingOver likes this

#6 gardenmom5

gardenmom5

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20074 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:30 PM

for medical - it's 23 & me.

If you want to use it on ancestry.com- you should use their test.

that said - there are other sites. e.g. gedmatch - for running genealogy.  and promethease for health.   My ND has her own health alogrythm - even for 23 & me.  (she said her's can take six months to run.)

https://isogg.org/wi...parison_chartis a good comparison of the various sites.

here's the thread I had at thanksgiving. http://forums.welltr...y/#entry7891014

• elegantlion likes this

#7 gardenmom5

gardenmom5

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20074 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:35 PM

here's an updated version comparing ancestry and 23&me

http://www.lifewithg...23andme-review/

• elegantlion likes this

#8 gardenmom5

gardenmom5

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20074 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:41 PM

I've had fun playing with dd's ethnicity results.  (she opened it on my computer).  you can change the level of confidence - from 50% - 90%.

at 50% - she's 1% middle eastern/north african (dh's grandfather is armenian) and 98+ european.  when we go to 90% confidence - she's 89% european - and 10% undefined.  just interesting.  they give the ethnicities on each gene, so I can guess which is mine.   when my results come back - it can be linked to her and we'll know for sure which is mine and which is her dad's (process of elimination - just like we did with her mthf test results.  that's why she originally did 23 & me - and it was a big deal for us.)

she submitted it to gedmatch-  but it hasn't come back yet.

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20177 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:44 PM

My mom did Ancestry but then uploaded her results to several other sites. 

• StephanieZ and gardenmom5 like this

#10 Gaillardia

Gaillardia

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3163 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:03 PM

My great grandmother (mother, mother, mother) and my dh's great grandmother (mother, father, mother) were both adopted. (Someone had recently linked about the adoption train in the late 1800s or early 1900s). 

When you do a DNA test, does it "link" you to people you are removed from, even by that many generations? Would I really be able to find out? I guess what I'm asking is...well, doesn't it get "watered down" going back that far? I don't think I really understand it.

True, I should do it for genetic/medical reasons, but I am very interested in genealogy. I already know who my gr. grandmother's family was, only by name, but haven't researched it.

I'm really interested in my dh's side since a couple of my kids look like his side of the family and I'm curious of their ancestry. 

• StartingOver likes this

#11 Scarlett

Scarlett

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20177 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

My great grandmother (mother, mother, mother) and my dh's great grandmother (mother, father, mother) were both adopted. (Someone had recently linked about the adoption train in the late 1800s or early 1900s). 

When you do a DNA test, does it "link" you to people you are removed from, even by that many generations? Would I really be able to find out? I guess what I'm asking is...well, doesn't it get "watered down" going back that far? I don't think I really understand it.

True, I should do it for genetic/medical reasons, but I am very interested in genealogy. I already know who my gr. grandmother's family was, only by name, but haven't researched it.

I'm really interested in my dh's side since a couple of my kids look like his side of the family and I'm curious of their ancestry. 

It explains how much you are related.  Then it explains what that likely means. 

It is funny, I have almost zero interest in the medical.  I just want to know where I come from.  Who my people are.  

#12 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6654 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:42 PM

It explains how much you are related. Then it explains what that likely means.

It is funny, I have almost zero interest in the medical. I just want to know where I come from. Who my people are.

That's how we are about it.

#13 myblessings4

myblessings4

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6654 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:22 PM

One more question. If I buy the kit from say cvs or amazon, do I pay something more when I send in the kit?

#14 StartingOver

StartingOver

Confuddlepated!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2292 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:28 PM

Ok So we did Ancestry for Genealogy, then found a non-parent event ( NPE ) and started searching for the missing family member. So I joined DNA Detectives on Facebook. There I learned that I could upload our raw DNA to  Heritage, Gedmatch, Genisis Gedmatch and DNA Land for free. I uploaded to FTDNA for free, but it costs $19 each to use their tools which I paid. After locating the missing family member and learning some medical info through death certificates, I did 23 and Me and uploaded that Raw DNA to Promethease.com ( Ancestry Raw DNA has too many errors on that site ) for $5 and found medical information. I pay for Ancestry 6 months at a time. I have found more family through Ancestry, but I found a sister on 23 and Me. So all was money well spent. 

I have now tested hubby and I. My dad, my youngest two children, a couple of cousins and an aunt. I have more to test, but it takes time.  All the others I will test on Ancestry only, as it is the best by far for family research. I have a tree with about 4000 people there, and my farthest ancestor is an 11th-great-grandpa. My primary goal is family research although it was nice to see heritage.

Edited to Add: if you just want medical info 23andme is the easiest to read, but you can get the medical for $5 at Promethease.

Edited by StartingOver, 07 December 2017 - 10:30 PM.

• Gaillardia and gardenmom5 like this

#15 StartingOver

StartingOver

Confuddlepated!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2292 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:32 PM

I used this method to find my missing family members and found 3 cousins that were adopted also. They all used this method and have located their parents. Also join DNA Detectives on Facebook run by CeCe Moore.

Edited by StartingOver, 07 December 2017 - 10:33 PM.

• Gaillardia likes this

#16 StartingOver

StartingOver

Confuddlepated!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2292 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:35 PM

One more question. If I buy the kit from say cvs or amazon, do I pay something more when I send in the kit?

There are two problems with buying from somewhere else. They can charge more to use it when you activate it. Also if the test does not work for some reason they will not send you another test free of charge, with most companies. It is always best to purchase directly from the company you choose to test with.

• myblessings4 likes this

#17 maize

maize

Maizgyver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19005 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:02 PM

Yes it can find relatives in the third and fourth cousin range, you then have to do some detective work to figure out what the relationship is.

If your parents are alive, having them test will yield better results as they are closer to the common ancestor. Better yet any grandparents or siblings of grandparents who may be still alive.
  • Gaillardia and StartingOver like this