What's with the ads?

#1 ktgrok

ktgrok

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20519 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:25 PM

Leggings look cute but I can't figure them out. I'm only just over 5' tall. Where do I find a shirt that is long enough to cover my butt/crotch, but not big and tent like? And will I look silly, since I'm so short?

#2 Sandwalker

Sandwalker

Hive Mind Level 5 Worker: Forager Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

Leggings look cute but I can't figure them out. I'm only just over 5' tall. Where do I find a shirt that is long enough to cover my butt/crotch, but not big and tent like? And will I look silly, since I'm so short?

No, leggings are cute on short women imo. I am little, too, and some of my leggings/yoga pants are "above ankle" on others, fit "at ankle" for me. I can't get the high-waisted types Lol. And as for shirts, there are lots of long tops that are perfectly long enough for coverage. I got some cute rayon tops at Target on clearance that are nice and long, but not so baggy they make me look pregnant, and not so tight I look like Chesty McGee.

#3 Carol in Cal.

Carol in Cal.

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17078 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:34 PM

For tunic type tops I try on about 8 for every one that I purchase.  I've become quite picky about length and fit.  I want the back to hit below the butt, prefer not to have the crotch look like it has a pointer on it in front, and like a 'skimming' fit rather than a sacklike one.

Brands that have worked for me include Nick and Zoe or Melissa McCarthy.

• trulycrabby likes this

#4 Rach

Rach

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4493 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:37 PM

Well for workout leggings you can buy petite sizes from Old Navy. You could also have them hemmed. It’s easy to do yourself or you could pay $10 or less to have someone else to do it.

Edited by Rach, 07 December 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#5 Carol in Cal.

Carol in Cal.

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17078 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:08 PM

Oh!  And, cutting big oversized t shirts is a thing out here.  

Women get a ginormous men's t and cut out the neck and trim the bottom to the exact shape they want, then let fray.  Sometimes they tie knots in the bottom if it's too big around, or fasten a 'bunched' part at the waist or bottom with a blingy hair clip.  These can be pretty cute.

#6 VaKim

VaKim

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2681 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:15 PM

I am just 5 feet tall and have a pair of Lularoe one-size that I love. They fit me way better than the ones I got at Walmart and Amazon. 

I just have some tops that I have found at Goodwill that I like, but like a pp said, I have to try on a bunch before I find anything that fits right. 

#7 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37510 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

I find they work out ok (regular lengths).  I saw petite lengths at Kohl's last time I was there.

#8 Seasider

Seasider

anchored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8803 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:48 PM

Oh! And, cutting big oversized t shirts is a thing out here.
Women get a ginormous men's t and cut out the neck and trim the bottom to the exact shape they want, then let fray. Sometimes they tie knots in the bottom if it's too big around, or fasten a 'bunched' part at the waist or bottom with a blingy hair clip. These can be pretty cute.

Those girls are reliving the 80s, I remember doing that with my clothes back in the day!
  • Carol in Cal. and ashfern like this

#9 Word Nerd

Word Nerd

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11828 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:49 PM

Tunics are available all over now.

#10 Seasider

Seasider

anchored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8803 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:50 PM

For casual, I've actually noticed that Walmart carries the Danskin line that is now getting the message that women want longer tops. I have bought some cute fitted long enough casual tops there recently, they go over yoga pants or even over leggings and still make me feel like I am adequately covered.

#11 Word Nerd

Word Nerd

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11828 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:51 PM

For casual, I've actually noticed that Walmart carries the Danskin line that is now getting the message that women want longer tops. I have bought some cute fitted long enough casual tops there recently, they go over yoga pants or even over leggings and still make me feel like I am adequately covered.

Their line of yoga pants also includes Petite/Short lengths. 

#12 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37510 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

Well to be fair, when one is short, a lot of shirts are plenty long!

I have trouble with tunics because they always look like dresses on me.

• Sandwalker likes this

#13 BarbecueMom

BarbecueMom

Bad Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3445 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:57 PM

I am on the short end of petite AND have short legs compared to torso. I have to buy size 12 sweatpants in the boys department or I ruin them by walking on them. Maybe girls sizes or short juniors? I have yet to find leggings I like. I tend to just wear jeans with long-ish shirts.

#14 Elastimom

Elastimom

Hive Mind Larvae

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

Long length cardigan (covers your bottom) + blanket scarf (somewhat covers your front) would look cute with leggings :)

#15 Seasider

Seasider

anchored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8803 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:22 PM

Their line of yoga pants also includes Petite/Short lengths.

Yes, and different fits. I'm in Katie's position as a shortie, and I appreciate this. But I have been known to just take scissors to a pair of yoga pants. Like tshirts, they don't really fray. Usually. 😆
  • Word Nerd likes this

#16 Seasider

Seasider

anchored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8803 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

Well to be fair, when one is short, a lot of shirts are plenty long!

I have trouble with tunics because they always look like dresses on me.

Yes, if they are also full at the bottom I wear them as dresses. Short (just above the knee) for summer is ok and then in cool season with stockings and boots.

#17 alisoncooks

alisoncooks

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5413 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:33 PM

Have you looked in Walmart lately? They have a decent selection of leggings (which run short, IMO - I'm 5'4" but they also fit my kids who are closer to the 5" mark).  I've also seen longer tops (some tunic-type, some button down type).  

I just bought a super soft "sweatshirt" that looks nice enough to pair with jeggings/boots/long necklace (IMO).  

This one: 

https://www.walmart....shirt/642735620

Edited by alisoncooks, 07 December 2017 - 03:34 PM.

• SparklyUnicorn likes this

#18 SparklyUnicorn

SparklyUnicorn

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37510 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:37 PM

Have you looked in Walmart lately? They have a decent selection of leggings (which run short, IMO - I'm 5'4" but they also fit my kids who are closer to the 5" mark).  I've also seen longer tops (some tunic-type, some button down type).  

I just bought a super soft "sweatshirt" that looks nice enough to pair with jeggings/boots/long necklace (IMO).  

This one: 

https://www.walmart....shirt/642735620

Yep.  That's where I got mine.  I'm a bit over 5ft and the length works out. 

#19 ktgrok

ktgrok

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20519 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:32 PM

Actually it was Walmart leggings that started this conversation! I saw the leggings but didn't know what to put on top. I'll check the shirts out better next time.

#20 Catwoman

Catwoman

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29731 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:35 PM

Oh!  And, cutting big oversized t shirts is a thing out here.  
Women get a ginormous men's t and cut out the neck and trim the bottom to the exact shape they want, then let fray.  Sometimes they tie knots in the bottom if it's too big around, or fasten a 'bunched' part at the waist or bottom with a blingy hair clip.  These can be pretty cute.

I'm having flashbacks to Flashdance.

I hope I'm picturing it wrong... ;)

#21 alisoncooks

alisoncooks

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5413 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:24 PM

Actually it was Walmart leggings that started this conversation! I saw the leggings but didn't know what to put on top. I'll check the shirts out better next time.

The "super soft sueded" leggings (NoBo brand) are soooo soft.

#22 Moxie

Moxie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9144 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

I didn’t read all the replies so sorry if this has been suggested. I roll my leggings under (vs the normal over way) and you can’t even tell they are rolled up.

#23 Carol in Cal.

Carol in Cal.

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17078 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:47 PM

I'm having flashbacks to Flashdance.

I hope I'm picturing it wrong... ;)

Heh.

No, it's not like Flashdance--usually the t is 3 sizes too big, and they cut out the neck in a circle following the neckline.

Not the sweatshirt slash I remember so well.  :)

• Catwoman likes this

#24 8circles

8circles

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6572 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:20 PM

Ktgrok, love the new avatar. The haircut really suits you.

#25 KungFuPanda

KungFuPanda

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13012 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

Buy capri leggings and wear them as pants!!!

#26 alisoncooks

alisoncooks

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5413 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:58 AM

Buy capri leggings and wear them as pants!!!

I do this for my youngest. Luckily, even if theyre a bit short, ankle pants are "in" right now, and I think they're pretty cute with ankle boots or a canvas shoe like Tom's (or ballet flats).