Menu

leggings for short people...help!

ktgrok

Leggings look cute but I can't figure them out. I'm only just over 5' tall. Where do I find a shirt that is long enough to cover my butt/crotch, but not big and tent like? And will I look silly, since I'm so short?

No, leggings are cute on short women imo. I am little, too, and some of my leggings/yoga pants are "above ankle" on others, fit "at ankle" for me. I can't get the high-waisted types Lol. And as for shirts, there are lots of long tops that are perfectly long enough for coverage. I got some cute rayon tops at Target on clearance that are nice and long, but not so baggy they make me look pregnant, and not so tight I look like Chesty McGee.

For tunic type tops I try on about 8 for every one that I purchase.  I've become quite picky about length and fit.  I want the back to hit below the butt, prefer not to have the crotch look like it has a pointer on it in front, and like a 'skimming' fit rather than a sacklike one.

Brands that have worked for me include Nick and Zoe or Melissa McCarthy.

• Like 1

Oh!  And, cutting big oversized t shirts is a thing out here.  

Women get a ginormous men's t and cut out the neck and trim the bottom to the exact shape they want, then let fray.  Sometimes they tie knots in the bottom if it's too big around, or fasten a 'bunched' part at the waist or bottom with a blingy hair clip.  These can be pretty cute.

I am just 5 feet tall and have a pair of Lularoe one-size that I love. They fit me way better than the ones I got at Walmart and Amazon. 

I just have some tops that I have found at Goodwill that I like, but like a pp said, I have to try on a bunch before I find anything that fits right. 

Oh! And, cutting big oversized t shirts is a thing out here.

Women get a ginormous men's t and cut out the neck and trim the bottom to the exact shape they want, then let fray. Sometimes they tie knots in the bottom if it's too big around, or fasten a 'bunched' part at the waist or bottom with a blingy hair clip. These can be pretty cute.

Those girls are reliving the 80s, I remember doing that with my clothes back in the day!

• Like 2

For casual, I've actually noticed that Walmart carries the Danskin line that is now getting the message that women want longer tops. I have bought some cute fitted long enough casual tops there recently, they go over yoga pants or even over leggings and still make me feel like I am adequately covered.

For casual, I've actually noticed that Walmart carries the Danskin line that is now getting the message that women want longer tops. I have bought some cute fitted long enough casual tops there recently, they go over yoga pants or even over leggings and still make me feel like I am adequately covered.

Their line of yoga pants also includes Petite/Short lengths. 

Their line of yoga pants also includes Petite/Short lengths.

Yes, and different fits. I'm in Katie's position as a shortie, and I appreciate this. But I have been known to just take scissors to a pair of yoga pants. Like tshirts, they don't really fray. Usually. 😆

• Like 1

Well to be fair, when one is short, a lot of shirts are plenty long!

I have trouble with tunics because they always look like dresses on me.

Yes, if they are also full at the bottom I wear them as dresses. Short (just above the knee) for summer is ok and then in cool season with stockings and boots.

Have you looked in Walmart lately? They have a decent selection of leggings (which run short, IMO - I'm 5'4" but they also fit my kids who are closer to the 5" mark).  I've also seen longer tops (some tunic-type, some button down type).  

I just bought a super soft "sweatshirt" that looks nice enough to pair with jeggings/boots/long necklace (IMO).  

This one: 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Women-s-Plus-3-4-Sleeve-French-Terry-Sweatshirt/642735620

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 1

Have you looked in Walmart lately? They have a decent selection of leggings (which run short, IMO - I'm 5'4" but they also fit my kids who are closer to the 5" mark).  I've also seen longer tops (some tunic-type, some button down type).  

I just bought a super soft "sweatshirt" that looks nice enough to pair with jeggings/boots/long necklace (IMO).  

This one: 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Danskin-Now-Women-s-Plus-3-4-Sleeve-French-Terry-Sweatshirt/642735620

Yep.  That's where I got mine.  I'm a bit over 5ft and the length works out. 

Oh!  And, cutting big oversized t shirts is a thing out here.  

Women get a ginormous men's t and cut out the neck and trim the bottom to the exact shape they want, then let fray.  Sometimes they tie knots in the bottom if it's too big around, or fasten a 'bunched' part at the waist or bottom with a blingy hair clip.  These can be pretty cute.

I'm having flashbacks to Flashdance.

I hope I'm picturing it wrong... ;)

• Like 1

I didn’t read all the replies so sorry if this has been suggested. I roll my leggings under (vs the normal over way) and you can’t even tell they are rolled up.