Menu

The Should I Stay or Should I Go? Teachers Lounge 12-7-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Morning.

Today's theme stems from the fact that I received a message from my sister stating hospice said

my mom only has a week or two left to live. So now, I'm trying to decide how soon to leave to drive to the midwest (from Arizona), do I take the kids with me, and do I rent a car or just make sure mine is up to snuff (not sure which is the least expensive at this point). Do I stay and wait for a further word or do I just go and see what happens? Blah.  :closedeyes: 

Anyone else dealing with a parent not long for this earth? Here: see above.

How am I supposed to focus on kids getting their schooling done with this weighing on me?

Anyone else traveling this month? Here: whenever I go, I'm heavily leaning on taking the kids with me, as we could then also drive from Illinois to see my MIL in Michigan. And maybe spend Christmas with cousins. I just don't know at this point.

Talk to me! :bigear: 

Keep in mind my kids are 19 and 13. No, the 19yo doesn't drive yet ( a story for another time). But when we did a similar drive 9 years ago, they did really well. I'm sure they'll do fine this time around, too. I'm really leaning towards using one of our own cars if and when we go. I might just hijack my husbands car for a couple of weeks as his is a Highlander, so a bit more cabin space than my Camry. Now, it's just figuring out finances, specifically for lodging and meals, on the way. And when to leave, of course!

• Like 1

I'm so sorry! I'm sitting here crying as I'm remembering losing my mom 3.5 years ago. I still miss her so very much. My life really hasn't been the same since in so many ways. 

Go, Scrap as soon as you can, and do whatever it takes to make it happen. I didn't go see my mom as planned because our washing machine went out and we had to buy a new one. A washing machine! She went into the coma the next day. I had seen her the weekend before, and I did talk to her on the phone. I wish so much I had gone and seen her that one last chance. 

Take the kids and don't worry about school. School can wait or be modified. You'll never get this chance back, and they will learn so much about family and what it means to be with those we love in their times of need that it will be a schooling in life instead of the books. 

Again, I'm so sorry and pray comfort for you all and a peaceful passing for her! 

• Like 3

I agree, go! Don't wait. Take your kids. In whichever car will be least hassle/safest. That's a long way and it's winter.

I have done long distance travel with a dying parent. It was 20 years ago and I still miss my dad. Especially at Christmas! Like Amy, I thought I'd get one more visit, but didn't.

• Like 1

:grouphug:   ((hugs)) I agree, go if it's at all possible.   I wouldn't worry about school for a week or two or at least cut back to one or two most important subjects.

FIL was told almost a year ago that he could go anytime, so we're basically just waiting.

MIL is healthier but is 82 years old.

My dad is turning 80 in April and isn't in great health.

• Like 1

Thanks, all. We've known for years this was coming, even my mom knew - since her mom went the same way.

But that doesn't prepare you, really, for when it actually happens. Or how rapidly the dementia takes over.

Obviously no schooling got done today. I'll keep you informed as I know more. Thanks for all the encouragement!

I am so sorry. I say go asap! I vote take the kids as mine are always a comfort and I'd be a wreck without them. I always have to stay strong for them, so it keeps me from falling apart which I don't like to do. As far as school, don't even think about right now. Do what you can do. Only you know what's right for you, but this would work for me. Once again :grouphug: I am very sorry.

• Like 1