Menu

DNA - Gave Me A Huge Surprise!

StartingOver

Thats Amazing. And I'm hoping for similar when my test results come in - I have two siblings I've never been able to find thanks to adoption. DNA is my only hope. 

If you aren't on DNA Detectives on Facebook, CeCe Moore's group, you might want to join. They provided so much help in finding my husband's family. He was also adopted. Ancestry proved to be the best choice to test with to find them. Then I transferred to everywhere else. 23andMe was the best for me to test on because I found her.

• Like 1

:hurray:  So cool. There is family lore that my dad had a kid when he was much younger. I'd love to know for sure.

My dad was 22 and fresh out of the Navy. He never knew. It is possible to find the child if they have tested. More and more Adoptees are testing. Or even those who just don't know a parent.

I have tested on Ancestry and transferred to FTDNA, Gedmatch, Heritage, DNALand, and others. I found a NPE ( Non parental event ) on my husband's side. After researching I found some scary medical issues. So I decided to test my daughter and myself on 23 and me only doing the Ancestry test and took the Raw DNA to Promethease.com to trace her medical history for future reference.

But when I went to check my own DNA, I had a close match, a very close match. I sent a message then called my dad. Back and forth for a bit and then we knew for positive. DNA never lies. I have a sister, 5 years older than me that my father never knew about. We all cried! ( Dad was single at the time, so there is no one to be angry, he left to work on a riverboat and never returned to the area. Her mom put her up for adoption. ) She had a wonderful life. Thank goodness. And wants to get to know us all. I have 5 more nieces and nephews, who she homeschooled all through their education.

You never know what you will find! Best money I ever spent. Looking forward to meeting her in person as soon as she is comfortable with that.

:party: It's a 54-year-old bouncing baby girl!!! :party:

Wow such an amazing surprise!

• Like 1

My dad was 22 and fresh out of the Navy. He never knew. It is possible to find the child if they have tested. More and more Adoptees are testing. Or even those who just don't know a parent.

Ah, he was *much* younger than that and the woman was married. So this potential sibling may be unaware.

• Like 1

That's so cool! Dh and I were given Ancestry DNA tests last year, but he wants nothing to do with it. He's adopted and never had any desire to go looking for his birth mother or any other relatives. He's ok if ds wants to do a test but ds isn't interested at his age, so I'm going to sell the test. Mine came up as I expected and did help with tracing my family back through other matches. I also ran the raw data through Promethease, which was very interesting and definitely worth the small fee. It's not for the medically anxious person though!!

• Like 2

I’m so torn anout this. On one hand, adopted children have a right to know their history. But, otoh, parents who have chosen adoption have some right to privacy, don’t they? And I’ve watched enough sci-fi to be concerned that private info put in a public place might end badly. Idk, I left my tinfoil hat at home today so i’m extra jittery, I guess.

• Like 4

That's so cool! Dh and I were given Ancestry DNA tests last year, but he wants nothing to do with it. He's adopted and never had any desire to go looking for his birth mother or any other relatives. He's ok if ds wants to do a test but ds isn't interested at his age, so I'm going to sell the test. Mine came up as I expected and did help with tracing my family back through other matches. I also ran the raw data through Promethease, which was very interesting and definitely worth the small fee. It's not for the medically anxious person though!!

I would test him or your son just to run through Promethease for medical info. You don' t have to share info and can totally opt out now so no one will ever see the results but you. And opt back in later if they wish. I found out that hubby's paternal family all, parents, siblings, siblings grandchildren ( a large spread in ages ) even all died before 50 of heart issues. That was important info for our children to know.

I’m so torn anout this. On one hand, adopted children have a right to know their history. But, otoh, parents who have chosen adoption have some right to privacy, don’t they? And I’ve watched enough sci-fi to be concerned that private info put in a public place might end badly. Idk, I left my tinfoil hat at home today so i’m extra jittery, I guess.

You can keep your results private, but they can still connect through cousins, siblings, and other family. Biological parents don't have to accept contact. 

I believe every child has a right to their medical information by any means. If it goes beyond that it is up to all parties involved. My husband has no interest at all. But he did take the test for the kids benefit,

• Like 2

A person's privacy ends when another human is created.  Of course they are free to tell the child they gave up they want nothing to do with them.....

• Like 3

A person's privacy ends when another human is created.  Of course they are free to tell the child they gave up they want nothing to do with them.....

This !! My children have a right to know where they come from, even if their dad doesn't care. They have a right to their history, medical info, and heritage.

Edited by StartingOver
  • Like 1

A big sister!!! We have talked, emailed and texted several times a day since we found out. It is awesome. I have told her many times all the cards are in her hand, in her time we may meet. I sure hope so. 

Isnt it the most wonderful feeling?  My own mother, who is 72 is going through the same thing.  She just discovered that the man who raised her is not her bio dad.  And within a few months had tracked down her her bio dad most likely was.  Then she found a half sister (one of more than a dozen half sibs) who has already submitted her own sample to verify they are half sisters.

That half sister of my mom is in her mid 80s and willing to do the test to confirm.  

• Like 2

I've had first, second, and third cousins show up via Ancestry in the last couple of years. A good bit of adoption in our family! The second cousin found his birth parents within a week of getting his test results and joining the DNA detective group. He met them both right away. Sadly, his birth mother died of natural causes within a couple weeks after the meeting...but so neat that his wish to meet her was fulfilled.

• Like 3

Isnt it the most wonderful feeling?  My own mother, who is 72 is going through the same thing.  She just discovered that the man who raised her is not her bio dad.  And within a few months had tracked down her her bio dad most likely was.  Then she found a half sister (one of more than a dozen half sibs) who has already submitted her own sample to verify they are half sisters.

That half sister of my mom is in her mid 80s and willing to do the test to confirm.  

Yes, just wonderful! That is awesome! Dad is 76 but in really good health. He is ready to fly out to meet her as soon as she says the word. ;-)

I've had first, second, and third cousins show up via Ancestry in the last couple of years. A good bit of adoption in our family! The second cousin found his birth parents within a week of getting his test results and joining the DNA detective group. He met them both right away. Sadly, his birth mother died of natural causes within a couple weeks after the meeting...but so neat that his wish to meet her was fulfilled.

So awesome that he got to meet her. I am afraid with my dad's age, that he might not get to meet his daughter. That would be sad.