Menu

Algebra 1 mastery

My niece (DN?) is a 13 year old 8th grader who is applying to independent private schools in her city for high school. (She can alternatively continue in her very good PS Spanish Immersion program - they're keeping options open at this point). She is a brilliant and highly-motivated reader/writer but has less confidence in her math abilities; she isn't bad at math, but things didn't begin to click for her until recently and she feels behind. She is taking Algebra 1 this year as an 8th grader and would like to possibly knock-out geometry over the summer. She is feeling a little insecure in Algebra 1. She isn't doing poorly, but it isn't her easiest subject either.

My advice to my sister/niece has been that slow and steady progression with an eye to FULL MASTERY is the key to success on SAT/ACT math and in higher-level math classes. I have suggested that rather than rushing through geometry, I would instead recommend repeating Algebra 1 over the summer or in 9th grade just to ensure she knows it inside and out. FWIW, she is highly likely to pursue a degree in the humanities rather than a STEM field at the college level, but she is young, so who really knows.

For those of you who teach upper level math, what advice would you give? I know I've read on the boards and elsewhere the dangers of the 'rush to calculus' and the negative impact a lack of full algebra mastery can have on performance later in the student's career, but I can't really point to any articles or factual information. I'd love to steer them toward some data or at least better-informed opinions than my own.

Thanks in advance for any info you can share.

Edited by fourisenough
  • Like 1

I teach introductory physics at college and see hundreds of students each semester. If students struggle with math, it is almost always because of insufficient mastery at the prealgebra and algebra level. This is the foundation on which all higher math rests.

I would strongly advise any student and parent to take as much time as needed to thoroughly master algebra 1. It is not that important to get to calculus in high school; however, shortcomings in algebra 1 are very difficult to remediate years later.

• Like 9

You are singing my song! I wish I could send you flowers, cookies, and a puppy!

I teach Calculus, and it's the algebra that kills you. I recommend Algebra 1 be taken twice with two different texts, if necessary. All three of my kids did it twice!

You might be the one who planted the seed in my mind! My DD13 is taking her second pass through Algebra 1 (last year with Derek Owens and this year with WHA). She reports that she ‘loves’ math and understands everything so much better this year. I could have easily passed her onto geometry, but felt like she could benefit from a sturdier foundation. Thanks for sharing your insight.
  • Like 2

I would say that a good handle on Algebra I is nearly the most important thing to learn in high school, apart from some solid English/writing skills.  

I actually spent two solid years on Algebra I with each of my kids, all of whom were quite smart but just didn't latch onto Algebra easily, for whatever reason.

ETA:  Some of my kids did their first year of Algebra I in 8th grade, but they still did an entire second year in 9th grade.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 3

I've had both of my kids do more than one run through algebra and I think it really benefitted them.  If she doesn't want to do another complete algebra program, how about just continuing to practice a bit each day with aleks.com?

My dd has a friend in ps who decided she wanted to be an engineer in 5th grade.  She is in a special STEM school and she took algebra a second time over the summer to really solidify her understanding as well.

• Like 2

In a brick and mortar situation I would choose to repeat over the summer rather than do it in 9th grade unless she is still very shaky even after the summer. But it is indeed very important to understand pre-algebra and algebra well before moving on. 

• Like 3

You might also have this student take this exam to probe for weaknesses.  This is also good.

You can also have the student do a weekly AMC-8 over the summer, looking especially on she does on the algebra problems.  If she has mastered algebra, she'll be able to use the right tool out of her algebra toolbox for these more random problems.   

• Like 1

You might also have this student take this exam to probe for weaknesses.  This is also good.

You can also have the student do a weekly AMC-8 over the summer, looking especially on she does on the algebra problems.  If she has mastered algebra, she'll be able to use the right tool out of her algebra toolbox for these more random problems.   

The AoPS tests would be for a high level mastery since Introduction to Algebra is an honors level text.

For Algebra 1 Common-Core mastery (including Prob/Stats) you could use a NYS regents exam:

http://www.nysedregents.org/algebraone/

These are finals which take hours to finish but the answers are also provided.

There are other Algebra 2 placement tests which could be used if something shorter is needed.

My DS is not homeschooled. He took algebra in middle school and then did the AOPS Intro to Algebra online. AOPS is very challenging and thorough, but since he had already taken it in school, it was a good fit for him. I listened to the advice on here to make sure he had mastery of algebra. We might do it with algebra 2 this summer as well. FWIW- his school math program isn't very strong.

• Like 2

I would not repeat algebra 1 as a blanket recommendation. I'd want to review the student's work. Algebra 2 starts with review as kids usually forget some algebra during geometry.

But slow and steady -- absolutely! No need to rush through geometry over the summer. Jumping into algebra 2 fall of 9th is likely too fast for the student you describe.

• Like 4