Menu

Science for 2nd grade

Elizabeth86

I had a curriculum for science for 1st, but haven't really worked on it much. I am now understanding just how much little ones learn from just reading science library books, educational shows, subscription boxes, science kits and interest led things. I'm thinking this may the plan for next year. Still ok for 2nd grade science?? WDYT?

. I am now understanding just how much little ones learn from just reading science library books, educational shows, subscription boxes, science kits and interest led things.

That is all we did before high school. Plus lots of observation. Incorporate nature walks. Have the kids observe plants, animals, bodies of water, collect rocks. Visit nature centers and science centers. Garden. Kids learn through play.

• Like 1

It's great for 2nd grade. This month is going to be an eclectic hodpodge. Today we filled a tube 3/4th of the way with salt, put a marble on top and screwed on the lid. They had to work as a team to figure out how to get the marble completely to the bottom without removing the lid. It was an awesome friction exercise and taught them how to get the prize from the bottom of the cereal without digging through it haha :)

We also are currently setting up to stick a bar of ivory soap in the microwave just to see what happens. I just have them draw pictures and write a hypothesis and findings. Nothing too difficult, just enough to get them making observations. We read a lot of Read and Find out books from the library. I go easy on myself with science. It should be fun, it should spark curiosity. It also shouldn't make the parent pull out their hair ;)

Yep, we just followed the Well Trained Mind's schedule as for what to cover and for ideas on output- basically it was a spine such as the Usborne First Encyclopedia of.... Series for whatever the topic. In 2nd grade it was Earth and Space Science, so I had those two encyclopedias. Then we checked out books, watched videos, looked at related exhibits at museums and wherever possible, and did science activities and notebooked about them from library books or the suggested experiment books like the VanCleave series. 

Thamks. I *think* I have next year planned. :lol: Early I know, but I didn't want curriculum planning and new baby to be happrning at the same time.

Hands down, my young kids' VERY favorite science was the informal stuff we did surrounding pregnancy, birth, and early infancy. Just getting lots of books, including them in the office visits, and discussing all their questions was so fascinating for them...because it was really about them, too, and how they came to be. It was awesome. If all else fails, you've got that!

One of my kids is now set on becoming a pediatrician and is perhaps the world's second grade expert on vaccination.

• Like 1

That is all we did before high school. Plus lots of observation. Incorporate nature walks. Have the kids observe plants, animals, bodies of water, collect rocks. Visit nature centers and science centers. Garden. Kids learn through play.

Same here.

I have raised a chemE and a physics (about to be grad) major who did no formal science curriculum prior to high school level science.

• Like 2

Hands down, my young kids' VERY favorite science was the informal stuff we did surrounding pregnancy, birth, and early infancy. Just getting lots of books, including them in the office visits, and discussing all their questions was so fascinating for them...because it was really about them, too, and how they came to be. It was awesome. If all else fails, you've got that!

One of my kids is now set on becoming a pediatrician and is perhaps the world's second grade expert on vaccination.

We do! We are pretty sure my 6 yr old ds is going to be an ob when he grows up :lol: he is fascinated byvmy pregnancy. He can always tell you what week we are in and dh never knows. :lol:

• Like 1