Menu

How is this ethical/legal- school teachers

Mimm

I just got done having a conversation with the wife of a school teacher. As part of her husband's job as a 4th grade science teacher, he has to do experiments every week for a bunch of 4th graders. 88 pairs. The experiments are written to conform to whatever standards are handed down from on high, and are not written by him. He doesn't get to choose them. He gets a $50 budget. For the year. Total, not per kid. They are spending almost half his inadequate paycheck on supplies for these experiments. We sat there brain storming with her on how she can find deals, fund raise, get donations from local businesses, etc. But the fact of the matter is, that's such a unreasonable requirement, I'm shocked it's in any way legal. The person coming up with these experiments has no science or education background. She just knew the right people, got into this position, hands down orders that he's not allowed to disobey.

I asked, "What happens if he says on week two that he's already spent his budget and he needs more money?" She said, "Then next year he won't have a job." :confused1: :confused1: :confused1: 

Also the standards are changing so all the stuff they buy this year won't be used next year. They've already been told this.

She told me that the district provided 17 seats/desks for a 21 kid class. That they were required to spend money out of their own pocket to buy the other seats. She said this was normal and they've had to do this every year that he's been teaching in various school districts. That they are required to set up a reading nook in the corner of the class room but the school provides no books. That they buy tons of books every year. That sometimes the kids are required to do a project all based on the same book, but the school doesn't provide those. That scholastic runs a sale in the summer for teachers but the teachers rarely know what book will be needed for these group projects that far in advance.

I was outraged and she just shrugged and said that this is the norm. She just moved to this area not too long ago and before that lived in Chicago. She told me several stories from her time there that were even worse than this.

You always hear stories about corrupt wasteful systems, and teachers who spend a fortune of their own money. I always assumed the teachers were spending money on things like wipe off markers and decoration and organization stuff for their classrooms. Extras that make the classroom a good place to be. I didn't realize they were being REQUIRED by the school to spend huge chunks of their own money to do the basics of their jobs, or to buy DESKS AND CHAIRS for the kids. Desks and chairs the district could for sure afford if they weren't wasting it on some other stupid thing that no one needs or will use.

This isn't some inner city poor school either. This is a school distract people talk about being one of the better in the area.

I dunno, maybe this isn't news to a lot of you. I'm just surprised at how much worse it was than I even thought.

• Like 3

I just got done having a conversation with the wife of a school teacher. As part of her husband's job as a 4th grade science teacher, he has to do experiments every week for a bunch of 4th graders. 88 pairs. The experiments are written to conform to whatever standards are handed down from on high, and are not written by him. He doesn't get to choose them. He gets a $50 budget. For the year. Total, not per kid. They are spending almost half his inadequate paycheck on supplies for these experiments. We sat there brain storming with her on how she can find deals, fund raise, get donations from local businesses, etc. But the fact of the matter is, that's such a unreasonable requirement, I'm shocked it's in any way legal. The person coming up with these experiments has no science or education background. She just knew the right people, got into this position, hands down orders that he's not allowed to disobey.

I asked, "What happens if he says on week two that he's already spent his budget and he needs more money?" She said, "Then next year he won't have a job." :confused1: :confused1: :confused1:

Also the standards are changing so all the stuff they buy this year won't be used next year. They've already been told this.

She told me that the district provided 17 seats/desks for a 21 kid class. That they were required to spend money out of their own pocket to buy the other seats. She said this was normal and they've had to do this every year that he's been teaching in various school districts. That they are required to set up a reading nook in the corner of the class room but the school provides no books. That they buy tons of books every year. That sometimes the kids are required to do a project all based on the same book, but the school doesn't provide those. That scholastic runs a sale in the summer for teachers but the teachers rarely know what book will be needed for these group projects that far in advance.

I was outraged and she just shrugged and said that this is the norm. She just moved to this area not too long ago and before that lived in Chicago. She told me several stories from her time there that were even worse than this.

You always hear stories about corrupt wasteful systems, and teachers who spend a fortune of their own money. I always assumed the teachers were spending money on things like wipe off markers and decoration and organization stuff for their classrooms. Extras that make the classroom a good place to be. I didn't realize they were being REQUIRED by the school to spend huge chunks of their own money to do the basics of their jobs, or to buy DESKS AND CHAIRS for the kids. Desks and chairs the district could for sure afford if they weren't wasting it on some other stupid thing that no one needs or will use.

This isn't some inner city poor school either. This is a school distract people talk about being one of the better in the area.

I dunno, maybe this isn't news to a lot of you. I'm just surprised at how much worse it was than I even thought.

So are they independently wealthy?  How can he afford to spend half his paycheck on school supplies?

I just wouldn't do it.  

• Like 6

These are some of the type of issues that have driven a lot of people I know to homeschool. I'm jealous of countries where teachers and education as a whole are valued and respected. We are in what is supposed to be the best school district in the state but the reality is it is obismal and we had to pull our child out so that he would have the chance at an actual education. Part of me wanted to sue them but I honestly think they were doing the best they could with the issues they were dealing with, like your friend's husband is obviously doing the best he can.

• Like 1

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m a former teacher and so is my mom and my sister in law is currently a teacher. This is not the norm in any of the school districts I am acquainted with. Yes, teachers spend their one money on books and various other supplies but not seats or things that you are mentioning and certainly not half a salary. Yes, it adds up, but what your describing is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ealp2009
  • Like 14

So are they independently wealthy?  How can he afford to spend half his paycheck on school supplies?

I just wouldn't do it.  

She may have been somewhat exaggerating, I don't know. But I know they are spending a lot and it is hurting them.

They do live rent free on his inlaw's farm. Their expenses are much less since relocating. But their income is too because she no longer works.

You mentioned they were in Chicago before, is this district that this is currently happening in also in Illinois?

I ask because my aunt teaches in the Chicago area and tells me similar stories.  Not quite to the extreme of having to go buy desks, but the craziness surrounding the curriculum and what they are supposed to teach sounds very similar. 

This current situation isn't is Illinois.

I'm a former teacher and still sub in our local districts.  I've NEVER heard of anything like this.  Yes I've bought some supplies out of pocket, but nothing was ever required and if it was furniture it was for myself like bookshelves or storage and I took when I left.

• Like 5

My local elementary schools rarely do science except for the annual 5th grade science fair. So definitely very low cost for science.

All desks and chairs are paid by my school district. It might be hard to squeeze 35 tables and chairs in a classroom intended originally for 25 students but it gets done. It is a state regulation actually that there are enough tables and chairs for the students to be supplied by the district. Curriculum per student is also paid by the district. My kids former public school teachers had to pay for whiteboard markers out of their own pockets as they were given $100 annually for classroom stationery. Parents contributed most of the stationery and story books though so teachers were not out that much locally.

I have never heard of anyone having to buy basic furniture for a classroom; however, many teachers I know do provide additional furniture for reading nook or other special areas. I did choose to bring in a computer description at a school where teachers were only supplied with a table as a desk.

It is not unusual for teachers to provide books for extra reading, but those can be reused from year to year.

• Like 1

I've been out of the classroom since oldest child was born, but the situation described in the OP is bizarre.  I'd be livid if I were that teacher.

I did buy (small) things out of my own paycheck when I taught (books or craft supplies or decorations for my room).  I bought a stool and paint and stuff to make it my own...but I cannot imagine being required to buy STUDENT DESKS.  Just...no.  

I'd be doing some serious fundraising for my classroom, as well as hitting up local businesses for donations.  (But imagine if EVERY teacher in a school/system was having to do that?!  The businesses and parents would have to draw a line somewhere.)

IDK... wow.

• Like 2

Your example is extreme, but the premise isn't unusual from my experience. My SIL teaches in the inner-city public schools and she spends a lot of her own money on things that should really be covered by the district. No, nobody technically tells her she has to pay for it herself, but they are things required for her to teach her students and they refuse to pay for it. So, she pays for it so she can teach her students - i.e. do her job. 

I didn't know until my oldest was in K that the teachers - at least in my state - have to supply their own classroom books. Which I guess isn't that big of a deal since the teacher owns them and then can take them back when they move, but it would be quite a burden for teachers that move to a different grade level. I know several teachers who have taught several grades and they don't really get to choose.

It doesn't matter what their rent situation is.  This should not be required of him.  Where is the union?

I agree and I I have no idea. She mentioned that she can't keep doing this and is going to be writing letters to Powers That Be. Her husband is rethinking his career right now so the schools will probably be losing another teacher.

She mentioned some of the stuff they were demanding he have for experiments. Like those large rubbermaid container lids (just the lids...) or matchbox cars. She said there was no way they were buy 80+ matchbox cars and she got people from her church to donate their kids old cars. But like I said, he doesn't write the experiments so he can't change them up.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m a former teacher and so is my mom and my sister in law is currently a teacher. This is not the norm in any of the school districts I am acquainted with. Yes, teachers spend their one money on books and various other supplies but not seats or things that you are mentioning and certainly not half a salary. Yes, it adds up, but what your describing is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My mom,sil,several aunts and friends are teachers. Not normal

• Like 3

I agree - time to call the news and his union rep. My friend teaches at an inner-city school and buys a lot of supplies for her students, but nothing like desks or a full year of science supplies. Schools here don't offer science in elementary school. There are a couple of local parent groups that do nature studies every month or so, but that's about it.

• Like 5

I mean, of course it's unethical to ask a teacher to provide science supplies out of his wages...supplies over which he has no discretion.

I've just never heard it be any different - all the teachers in my family have worked in low income schools, and they are always shelling out for stuff. Public schools don't do terribly because the teachers are incompetent or the kids are stupid - they just have to deal with this cr*p.

Because as a society (multiple societies since we're crossing international borders here) we just plain don't value children because they are not economic producers.

This is why child rearing, child care, child teaching, etc. are not respected or well compensated occupations. Children in school are regularly subjected to conditions that most adults would consider intolerable.

But they're just kids so it's OK.

Edited by maize
  • Like 8

If I were a teacher who wanted to pull off a super dramatic swan song on my way out, I'd buy benches, slates, vintage textbooks, a dictionary, a flag, two maps and a globe, set up my room like a one room schoolhouse, and call the local news.

"This is what your school will be if teachers have to provide desks, books, and school supplies from their meager salaries. If you want more for your children, tell your legislators that current methods of funding are not working. Tell your school board that up to date textbooks and computers and adequate seating are more important than football stadiums or the padding of administrators' pockets."

• Like 3

I just can't believe the district is micromanaging so much that they come up with the science experiments/demonstrations. Why isn't the teacher given a list of concepts to introduce, and told he must do X number of experiments/hands on type things per year, and then he can come up with them himself. His wife was going to go home and use spray adhesive and sand to make fake sandpaper so they didn't have to buy a bunch of it.

• Like 1

I spent a lot out of pocket as an elementary school music teacher and wrote a lot of grants, but technically I could have done my job with what was provided (one set of books per grade level, CDĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s, a CD player, an out of tune piano, a chalkboard, and a motley assortment of instruments). I wouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t have done a choir or a band class, nor would it have been much of an orff class (this was in a district with one of the top Orff programs in the country, but with no booster club and, initially, a principal with no respect for the arts), but I could have taught basic singing and music reading. With a new principal, some support from a district coordinator, and writing a ton of grants, I built up the music infrastructure at that school to about 100k/Worth, including a full band program, in the decade I was there, but that first year, well, I was asking for hand drums and glockenspiels for Christmas so I could use them with my students. DHĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s boss let me come into the office and print/photocopy there, and provided trade show folders and pencils for my kids.

My district also has a teacher Ă¢â‚¬Å“storeĂ¢â‚¬ where companies send their surplus office supplies, and I went there regularly to see what I could glean that was useful. Printed napkins from someoneĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s big trade show make decent substitutes for tissues and paper towels.

Edited by Dmmetler2
  • Like 1

I haven't read the thread. But I'm pretty sure that's something to take up with the union, and to organize a strike.

I simply wouldn't do it, and send notes home to the kids' parents explaining why 4 of the kids don't have seats and why the planned experiments aren't happening (I'd do cheap experiments that fit into the $50 budget), along with the phone number, address, email address, etc of the school board. And I'd probably write some letters to the local newspaper etc. 

ETA: to be clear, I'd rotate who doesn't have a seat, or alternatively, have everyone sit on the floor all the time. 

Edited by luuknam
  • Like 3

I bought books from used bookstores because while the district mandated the teaching of certain books in certain high school classes, they never had a set of more than 15 of them.  And this was in a *wealthy* school district.  And yes, I paid out of pocket. I will add that a wonderful used bookstore owner cut me a good deal and he also kept an eye out for the books on my list and just gave them to me if they were given to him.  But yeah, I spent my own money on books and on some supplies that any business would supply to their employees...markers, overhead slides, that sort of thing.  

But nothing like what the OP has said here.  That is extortion, plain and simple, and it is also a reduction in the union-negotiated salary, and I don't know where the union is in all this.  They ought to be doing something about it for all the money they collect from members.  

And parents ought to be howling, too, at the district and not at the teacher, for the things they are required to buy for classrooms...tissues, hand-sanitizer, those "group" things that everyone uses.  Or just buy them and realize that if they don't, the teacher will have to...but at any rate, quit griping at the teacher.

This is what I was thinking - unless it's in his contract that they gave him a larger salary and he needed to supply the materials out of that, it doesn't seem like they could REQUIRE he purchase all these items.

• Like 1

Not the norm here either.  Teachers buy some things (like softer tissues) often, but not anywhere near what the OP mentioned.

With science experiments, it's common to have groups work sequentially rather than all together for things that need more "stuff."  This means we can have stations with different experiments at the stations and groups rotate through them.  It's also not uncommon to have half the group doing the experiments and the other half at their desks doing something else, then rotate.  This way fewer reusable supplies are needed.

• Like 5

It's not the norm here. Teachers do spend money but not for seats and certainly not to the tune of 50% of take home pay.

If he has the experiment list in advance, he should go through it and send a list of needed supplies home to the parents. He can do this at the beginning of the term and then send weekly reminders for next week's needs. This would help reduce his cost and give parents a heads up.

Hello parents~

This year we'll be conducting experiments in yada, yada, yada and will need the following supplies from home....... Please be on a lookout for these items. I'll send notices home the week before they are needed in class. If you have any questions, contact (The person who created the experiments).

-

Hello parents~

Net week we'll be conducting an experiment on electricity. Please send a potato and a small lightbulb with your child (these can be picked up at the dollar store). We'll be providing the wire.

It's not the norm here. Teachers do spend money but not for seats and certainly not to the tune of 50% of take home pay.

If he has the experiment list in advance, he should go through it and send a list of needed supplies home to the parents. He can do this at the beginning of the term and then send weekly reminders for next week's needs. This would help reduce his cost and give parents a heads up.

Hello parents~

This year we'll be conducting experiments in yada, yada, yada and will need the following supplies from home....... Please be on a lookout for these items. I'll send notices home the week before they are needed in class. If you have any questions, contact (The person who created the experiments).

-

Hello parents~

Net week we'll be conducting an experiment on electricity. Please send a potato and a small lightbulb with your child (these can be picked up at the dollar store). We'll be providing the wire.

Yeah, that would definitely not fly here. 

But it would let parents know the situation and put the onus back on to the person who required the experiments. No teacher should be funding mandated coursework.

Something like 75% of the students here qualify for free lunch.  They have programs where they send food home on the weekend.  I'm guessing a lot of parents don't have money for random crap for crappy "experiments". 

I agree that no teacher should be funding coursework!

• Like 4

Something like 75% of the students here qualify for free lunch.  They have programs where they send food home on the weekend.  I'm guessing a lot of parents don't have money for random crap for crappy "experiments". 

I agree that no teacher should be funding coursework!

Here too. It's a shame. 

But if the other 25% could participate that reduces the pressure on the teacher.

I'm just thinking out loud. I really have no idea how this would work IRL.

An acquaintance of mine recently made a FB post about her situation in OK. Spending per pupil has dropped 27% since 2008, many schools are operating on a 4-day-week, and she had to purchase 100% of all supplies for her classroom. She left & instantly found a job (in OK, no less) that paid her $20,000 a year more. Which tells you about what she was making. Every single one of her students was on the free-and-reduced lunch program.

Edited by Happy2BaMom

Assuming that this teacher is not exaggerating, I hope that this teacher is documenting EVERYTHING! 

He needs a file that has the required lesson plan and any written correspondence that requires him to use it as written, and a list of the supplies where he notes whether the items needed were available at the school, he purchased from classroom budget, bought himself, or sought donations.  Keep any receipts for spending with the documentation for that lesson.  Then he needs to make a list of people that he sends this to after each lesson (like the school board members).  

I would also suggest that he start preparing ahead of time and sending lists home with the kids for items he needs donated for the experiments.  Parents who are getting many requests to send things to the school might start to get curious about what's going on and that could be helpful. 

If he's not getting appropriate assistance from the union / school board, then he should make an appointment with his state representative and take his file of documentation and share what is happening.  If the state representatives have a Public Education Committee or something like that (they most likely do) then I would send each of those members a personal note describing what is happening.  Then, I'd add them to the list that I send the documentation about how much I'm spending to.  

• Like 5

Not the norm here either.  Teachers buy some things (like softer tissues) often, but not anywhere near what the OP mentioned.

With science experiments, it's common to have groups work sequentially rather than all together for things that need more "stuff."  This means we can have stations with different experiments at the stations and groups rotate through them.  It's also not uncommon to have half the group doing the experiments and the other half at their desks doing something else, then rotate.  This way fewer reusable supplies are needed.

This is the way my son's class works for reading books too. They split the room up into groups with 4 or 5 kids per group and each group reads a different book then discusses it among themselves. The books are switched out as they finish one.

• Like 1

I am teaching now and my experience has been nothing like this.  We certainly aren't provided with a lot but we are provided with necessary supplies.  I have purchased things on my own but I also have no problem telling my department head no and while she will occasionally express her displeasure I have not had to worry about having a job.   

I will be leaving the profession as soon as my kids finish high school and I no longer want summers off though.  The overall atmosphere (testing, unrealistic expectations while not being allowed to hold kids accountable, etc) isn't worth dealing with.

• Like 1

Here too. It's a shame. 

But if the other 25% could participate that reduces the pressure on the teacher.

I'm just thinking out loud. I really have no idea how this would work IRL.

Really so the small number of students should fund the supplies for the entire class?  Nah...I would not be amused.  If the district can't afford it then I dunno maybe one way to deal with is to watch videos of experiments?  I don't think it's fair to deal with it by asking someone to squeeze blood out of a rock...

• Like 2

Lots of good suggestions here.  In addition to talking to the person dictating these experiments etc., he should be talking to his principal and his union and documenting every single thing he buys (and the routes he took before buying to find the resource in other ways).  Then going up the chain of command - to the school board, then if he can take the risk, the parents, press, and city/state reps.

In the meantime, he should also be networking with other teachers, in his school and other schools in the district.  Many non-consumable supplies are in storage for most of the year.  If six classrooms across town are doing the matchbox experiment, there's no need for all six to have a full kit of supplies; they can coordinate and use just one.  (Having done a lot of co-op classes, I have both borrowed and lent supplies like this to a teacher in my district; win-win.)

In addition, he should be looking at the experiments and seeing if substitutions can be made.  While rubbermaid lids can make a nice ramp, so can cereal boxes, pieces of cardboard, books, etc.  The "rubbermaid lids" item may have just been a suggestion of something that a teacher might have on hand, and not intended to be a set-in-stone requirement.

Classroom books are useful, but again connections can help.  Simply asking the parent-teacher group to ask parents to donate outgrown books can help.  (You would get the best books from parents whose kids are several grades higher up.)  

All that said, what the OP describes is an extreme situation; it's not normal and the teacher would be right to make a fuss about it.  The UNION is probably the best way to move up the chain of command without risking one's job.  That's what unions are for.

• Like 4

Really so the small number of students should fund the supplies for the entire class?  Nah...I would not be amused.  If the district can't afford it then I dunno maybe one way to deal with is to watch videos of experiments?  I don't think it's fair to deal with it by asking someone to squeeze blood out of a rock...

No, I meant they could provide the items for their own child. That would remove some of the burden from the teacher. 

I'm only talking about this particular circumstance where the teacher is stated to be spending 50% of his income on supplies. I would be trying to get donations from any available resource. 

I don't know.  As a matter of principle I'd say no to providing supplies.  They spend more per student here than most places.  Taxes are INSANELY high and now you want me to pay more?  Where in heck is the money going?  Oh yeah..that's right...the super thinks he is worth 250 grand (not).

I just think situations like these stink. 

• Like 2

I don't know.  As a matter of principle I'd say no to providing supplies.  They spend more per student here than most places.  Taxes are INSANELY high and now you want me to pay more?  Where in heck is the money going?  Oh yeah..that's right...the super thinks he is worth 250 grand (not).

I just think situations like these stink. 

"She mentioned some of the stuff they were demanding he have for experiments. Like those large rubbermaid container lids (just the lids...) or matchbox cars. She said there was no way they were buy 80+ matchbox cars and she got people from her church to donate their kids old cars. But like I said, he doesn't write the experiments so he can't change them up."

I cut and pasted Mimm's statement because I couldn't multiquote for some reason.

This is what I was referring to. If a note is sent home saying "We need rubbermaid container lids for an experiment. Can you send one with your student next week?" Don't most people have access to a container lid? Don't most people have a little toy car lying around? If the supplies are things that people might have on hand, wouldn't it be worth it ask in advance? Save the money?

__

I agree that some school admins are overpaid. There needs to be some reality tossed into the mix in some districts.

• Like 1

"She mentioned some of the stuff they were demanding he have for experiments. Like those large rubbermaid container lids (just the lids...) or matchbox cars. She said there was no way they were buy 80+ matchbox cars and she got people from her church to donate their kids old cars. But like I said, he doesn't write the experiments so he can't change them up."

I cut and pasted Mimm's statement because I couldn't multiquote for some reason.

This is what I was referring to. If a note is sent home saying "We need rubbermaid container lids for an experiment. Can you send one with your student next week?" Don't most people have access to a container lid? Don't most people have a little toy car lying around? If the supplies are things that people might have on hand, wouldn't it be worth it ask in advance? Save the money?

__

I agree that some school admins are overpaid. There needs to be some reality tossed into the mix in some districts.

Not necessarily.  Story of my life.  All the "experiments" I've dealt with over the years that require "stuff we all have"...I never had any of it.  It was maddening.  I stopped doing them and just bought kits. 

I think this could be quite exhausting for a teacher (to secure a mish mash of supplies from various people..not knowing if he'll get anything at all...on zero budget...).  It just all makes me think the school district doesn't actually care one darn bit if learning is happening. 

• Like 6

Wow... half of his income... really? I don't see how he's mentally able to do that. 

I'm a special education teacher at a private school. I just found out that the starting salary of a public school teacher in my area is 20k more than what I earn, and I have a Master's! So many people think private school teachers make more than public school teachers. It just depends on the area, and the school. In Maine where I'm from, hardly any teachers start at higher than $35,000 a year. 

I buy some things, but I'm reimbursed for everything necessary for my class. I would be livid if I was required to buy any essentials for my classroom. As far as a classroom library, I can't afford one, so we just use the school library. Maybe I'm not the "cool teacher," but until teachers are paid more, I'm not doing that.

There's a serious culture of self-sacrifice among teachers. Somehow we're okay with (or at least not protesting too much) that admins make $150,000 when teachers make $30,000. Do principals REALLY work five times as hard as teachers? I'm all for higher pay for greater responsibility and education level... but come on. The gap is not THAT large!

I say bring on the local news, too :)

• Like 5

One more comment before I get off my high horse. I recently listened to a podcast about extreme financial transparency in organizations. What happens if everyone knows everyone else's salary? If everyone knows the electric bill, the mortgage on the building, the income from donations... etc. An interesting thought when it comes to schools.

• Like 3

One more comment before I get off my high horse. I recently listened to a podcast about extreme financial transparency in organizations. What happens if everyone knows everyone else's salary? If everyone knows the electric bill, the mortgage on the building, the income from donations... etc. An interesting thought when it comes to schools.

They don't break it down quite to that detail, but here they mail out a breakdown of the budget.  So we do know salaries, building expenses, supplies, etc.

• Like 2

I haven't read the thread. But I'm pretty sure that's something to take up with the union, and to organize a strike.

Teachers here don't have unions, and they are year to year employees.  One of my friends got in a squabble with her (new) principal over something small that turned into something big.  Of course, she wasn't happy with the situation, but she thought it would blow over, and it would work itself out in time.  She didn't get a contract when it came time in the spring.  No notice, just no new contract.  She has been a teacher 20 years, 10 at that school.  And nothing she can do, because year to year employees.