Menu

New 5 yo - WWYD?

UnlikelyHomeschoolingMama

So my youngest DS just turned 5 this weekend.  He is starting on BOB books, which is fairly typical, but the kid really loves math.  I have not been doing anything formal with him except Sonlight P4/5 literature.  That is his "school" and we all love listening to those stories with him.  But he begs for math.  I got him a Critical Think Co. Mathematical Reasoning book (level 2) because he was begging for it and he has sped through it.  He knows his math facts through 12.  He can reason through things like today he told me 1 hour and 6 minutes is 66 minutes.  8+4 is 12 because 8+2 is 10 and 10+2 is 12.  He can count by 10s and 5s easily and is starting on 2s.  He can see groups of figures and group them in order to know how many there are without counting.  It really is amazing how much he thinks about numbers, manipulates them in his mind and just plays with math.  

SO...he will do RightStart for kinder but I don't know about starting anything formal until next year.  I'm not one to rush it but this kid BEGS for that math book daily (even on the weekends)!!  Do I just get him the kinder Mathematical Reasoning book because it is fun/colorful or start with RightStart so he can start thinking about math their way.  He already does operations on his abacus, but we haven't done the formal curriculum with him.  

OR...do i get him the fun book that he wants and maybe skip the first level of RightStart when we start formal school next year?  

Stopping and letting him play isn't an option. He won't have any part of that.  ;-)  Youngest kid...wants to be like big bro and sis!! 

Get him the mathematical reasoning book if that is what you are calling “the fun book that he wants.†See where you are when you finish that. Maybe you can skip the first level of right start after that. Beast Academy online should be launching sometime before then as well. You may also want to get the first two miquon books. Those are easy to follow the child's lead, and the writing requirement is much lower than other programs at a comparable math level.

• Like 1

I'm with Kiara.  Why not begin RS now?  Do you already own it?  Of course, you could also get him Mathematical Reasoning to do on his own for fun.  Harness that enthusiasm!

Your kiddo sounds a lot like my DS#1 at that age.  He was picking up math that I'd never taught him, asking math related questions, and I finally decided it was a fine time to begin systematically teaching him.  He did great, and we were both happier.

I had a 5 y/o like that. I emphatically advise you to let him do what he's enthusiastic about doing. In your shoes I'd be doing both the MR book and RS K with him if he was into that.

And be prepared to let it go if his interest wanes.

ETA-- If your concern is that he might need to start "thinking about math the right start way," Please don't worry about that. He's thinking about math right now, for the sheer joy of it. I suspect he'll LIKE learning about manipulating numbers like RS does, but that it will be just one of many thought processes about mathematics that he'll internalize.

This is so true.  Thank you!!  He really wants to Mathematical Reasoning book, so we'll have fun with that and all our math games and see where he lands when he starts kinder next Fall. 

Thank you!!