Menu

XP: Comparing live Omnibus options - Wilson Hill vs. VP vs. Logos?

I think I'd really like a live online class option for Omnibus/Great Books for DS11. We are currently doing the Omnibus I Secondary books using the VP self-paced omnibus online. I was planning to use the Omnibus I Primary videos after it (DS is in 6th now, so I figured we would start the primary books this spring or summer).

The thing is... he LOVES discussing ideas, and he LOVES interaction with other kids and teachers. He is currently in an online lit discussion class (Angelina Stanford) and it is his favorite part of the week. So now I'm thinking maybe we should find a live class for Omnibus instead.

Also, while we have in some ways enjoyed the VP videos, in other ways I have been less than thrilled with them... Sometimes there are things in them that just feel a bit like time wasters. He enjoys them, but I'm just not sure they are the best use of our time, kwim? But OTOH, I love that we can do them totally at our own pace and schedule, and that we don't have lots of piddly assignments and grades that distract us from our actual learning (ironic, but it does happen in live classes, IME!).

So I'm investigating our options for next year. So far I have found:

- Wilson Hill (Great Conversation I) (run by Bruce Etter, but he would not be the teacher)

- Veritas Press Scholars Academy (Omnibus I Primary) (this year taught by Scott McQuinn and Corey Piper)

- Logos online academy (Integrated Humanities A) (this year taught by

- VP Omnibus I Primary videos (Bruce Etter is the main teacher)

I'm not necessarily committed to Omnibus; I would consider other Great Books courses, as long as they:

- have a Christian worldview

- are focused on ideas, and

- cover a decent breadth of material

Thoughts? Reviews? Comparisons? Other suggestions to further muddy the waters for me? I'm really wrestling with this!

Well, DS is in 7th and we have LOVED Wilson Hill!  DS has taken their Great Conversation class this semester and it has been what you have described--solid, classical literature from an excellent Biblical perspective.  The teacher has done an excellent job of facilitating discussions, helping the kids think through complex issues, etc.  The amount of reading and writing appropriate IMO for 12-13 yo who are good readers and thinkers.  I highly recommend!!!

• 10 months later...
On 12/11/2017 at 10:11 AM, Reader411 said:

Well, DS is in 7th and we have LOVED Wilson Hill!  DS has taken their Great Conversation class this semester and it has been what you have described--solid, classical literature from an excellent Biblical perspective.  The teacher has done an excellent job of facilitating discussions, helping the kids think through complex issues, etc.  The amount of reading and writing appropriate IMO for 12-13 yo who are good readers and thinkers.  I highly recommend!!!

Which TGC1 teacher did you have?