Menu

Has the new Weight Watchers Freestyle been discussed yet?

HSmomof2

Oddly, using myfitnesspal or my new favorite, Baritastic, doesn't give me the same anger issues. I think WW may have me getting too little fat for my personal needs, and that might be why I get so angry on it.

This is what I was thinking. I have to have enough good fat or I get wonked out of my mind. Edited by Scarlett

Tracking has made me realize how out of control my portion sizes were. For me, it really helps to have a way to quantify portion size. Because I am tall and nurse, most portion size guides don't work for me. But WW does. I am a numbers person who doesn't eat fake food, and WW works with that.

Emily

My portions are out of control too. On some things.

I just had half of an avocado and 5 saltines. I smashed the avocado and measured it..less than 1/4 cup. And that is 2 or 3 points. I could have easily eaten the whole thing with double the crackers....if I just eat the lesser portion and go on I am fine.

I just had half of an avocado and 5 saltines. I smashed the avocado and measured it..less than 1/4 cup. And that is 2 or 3 points. I could have easily eaten the whole thing with double the crackers....if I just eat the lesser portion and go on I am fine.

It has taken some tweaking to get it to work right for me. If I keep to the daily points only, I am losing 2 lbs/week and feeling deprived. Instead, I've been using some weekly points every day and that keeps me at about 1-1.5 lbs/week and reasonably happy.

I am eating a lot less refined carbs and using my points more for fatty things. I used to eat cheese and crackers and now I might eat cheese and apples. Or I use only one piece of bread and have an open-faced sandwich instead of having two pieces of bread. With turkey burgers last night, I had half a bun. I haven't had more than a few sips of alcohol (not something I love) since starting. I am trying to keep to "real" food, though, so I won't buy stuff like "fat-free half-and-half". One lunch I have a few times a week is 3-4 C of greens with a few eggs and a bunch of salsa on top. There you've got a source of 0 point fat if needed. 

Emily

• Like 1

Oddly, using myfitnesspal or my new favorite, Baritastic, doesn't give me the same anger issues. I think WW may have me getting too little fat for my personal needs, and that might be why I get so angry on it. 

KT, it is funny because your positive review early in this thread is what got me seriously thinking about WW. I'm sorry it didn't work for you but I'm glad you convinced me!

Emily

I forgot to mention, not only is my husband doing it, but my sister is too. And my sister, sil, and sister's sil are on a group text where we are supporting each other. It's working well for me. Today I made fish tacos. Pan fried the fish with some Pam, so that was free, also cabbage and salsa were free. So only thing I recorded was the tortillas and Sriracha mayo I used. 5pts total and a satisfying lunch. Totally doable.

• Like 3

I've been on WW for a little over 4 months and I'm down 16 pounds. A pound a week seems to work for me as far as long term lifestyle change. I wasn't eating enough fat when I first started, using points for wine mainly, it ended up. But I learned and I recongnized I wasn't eating enough fats. Now I'm back to flax seeds, real cheese and olive oil on my roasted veggies. Oh and dark chocolate. I think I've found a happy medium.

Weight loss is definitely a process to see what's going to click for you.,

• Like 3

I've been doing WW since the first and have lost nine pounds. It's hard. I am a serious carb addict. But I feel I can cheat every now and then, and use up my weekly points and I do ok. I've cut almost all sugar out of my diet that isn't fruit. The WW system really does push you to eat healthy foods.

• Like 1

I've been doing WW since the first and have lost nine pounds. It's hard. I am a serious carb addict. But I feel I can cheat every now and then, and use up my weekly points and I do ok. I've cut almost all sugar out of my diet that isn't fruit. The WW system really does push you to eat healthy foods.

That isn't cheating! That's using the system how it is designed!

Emily

• Like 3

1/2 cup of avocado and 10 crackers.......hardly out of control.

• Like 3

I signed up just before Christmas for 3 months (online only) but will cancel when the time is up. My plan was to lose 1/2 pound a week and I've lost more - 5 pounds since Christmas. It's not that it isn't working but I can't see paying the cost. I did download iTrackbites and though I haven't really spent time with it, it looks like there are a bunch of add-ons for $2.99 each. Still, once you buy the extras you're done and it's less then the cost for WW. 

I tried it for almost a month and all the focus on counting made me focus on food constantly which made me hungrier than normal, plus all the free foods.... I ate a lot more than usual.  Last couple weeks I've instead focused on portions.  Including portions of fat in cooking, portions of the very occasional sweet. How much meat, it it whole grain etc... and I've lost 5 pounds.  

I don't feel hungry but do feel like I'm spending way too much time thinking about food. I also feel like I'm eating too much of the zero points food, especially fruit. I too am focusing on portions, which I know were out of control. I don't know that it's actually WW that helped me lose those pounds so much as simply cutting back on portions, especially for treats. I've been having my evening sweet but only a small amount. 

• Like 1

I quit too. This points system seems like itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s generated by a magic 8 ball. They penalize all carbs, fat, and red meat regardless of it being healthy type of Ă¢â‚¬Å“goodĂ¢â‚¬ fat, non junk food carb or lean red meat. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m back to MFP and much happier and not getting too few calories a day again like with WW which was making me do too much work for what they charge to figure out how many points I did really need to get to 1200 calories. Not to mention their database blows compared to MFP. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m irritated we spent the money and wish IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d read more reviews of the new system online before I signed.

Yup. I also dislike that it says you can use your fit points and weekly points, then penalizes you if you actually use many of them (ok..maybe not penalize, but you don't get that little "you did good" circle for the day. )

MFP is less judgmental about me using my exercise calories. 

Can somebody explain how this is supposed to work? I understand that there are zero point foods you don't have to track, but a person could eat unlimited amounts of those foods and still not lose weight. What am I missing? All I see is that the system nudges a person towards healthier eating.

Edited by regentrude

Can somebody explain how this is supposed to work? I understand that there are zero point foods you don't have to track, but a person could eat unlimited amounts of those foods and still not lose weight. What am I missing?

They aren't generally foods people can eat unlimited amounts of.

I mean, people don't keep eating them. They fill up quickly. Unlike a bag of chips where you really do t get full feeling.

But the lists does allow all fruit, right? Everybody in my family could gobble fruit all.day.long. I mean, apples and bananas have plenty of calories, so what is the science behind this? I'm glad it works for people, just trying to wrap my mind around why it works. 

• Like 1

But the lists does allow all fruit, right? Everybody in my family could gobble fruit all.day.long. I mean, apples and bananas have plenty of calories, so what is the science behind this? I'm glad it works for people, just trying to wrap my mind around why it works.

Well they encourage balanced nutrition. I guess a person could eat only the zero points foods and gorge themselves and not lose weight. But if you add in some good fats and good carbs you shouldn't be so hungry you gorge on zero points.

I don't understand. I thought zero points means exactly that: you can eat as much as you want.

They say zero point foods aren't an excuse to overeat them, and that people rarely do the way they would, say, potato chips. That said, if you have an issue overeating a certain type of zero point food, I would pay attention and be careful of that.

Years ago I asked this same question.  I even went raw vegan for a while, most of my food was fruits and vegetables.  I lost minimal weight.  Now, I did have things like dates and nuts, which added a lot of calories as well.

Anyway, on WW several people said they had to play around with the fruit and most agreed that 2-3 servings per day max was all they could eat without stalling or gaining.

Now with the fewer points you can get, I am thinking you could go a little over that, but it is trial and error.

DH has been on it for a month or two and really likes it. You control how you spend your daily allotment of points and can make adjustments as needed, and that works for him. If you know you need more fat or less fruit or whatever, then you can do that.

Edited by Word Nerd

I quit too. This points system seems like itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s generated by a magic 8 ball. They penalize all carbs, fat, and red meat regardless of it being healthy type of Ă¢â‚¬Å“goodĂ¢â‚¬ fat, non junk food carb or lean red meat. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m back to MFP and much happier and not getting too few calories a day again like with WW which was making me do too much work for what they charge to figure out how many points I did really need to get to 1200 calories. Not to mention their database blows compared to MFP. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m irritated we spent the money and wish IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d read more reviews of the new system online before I signed.

I find that puzzling too. Most fruits and vegetables are zero points but have a little piece of avocado and you use up a chunk of points. Now I know avocados are high in fat and calories compared to other fruits but they're also healthy.  And while whole wheat carbs are fewer points than refined, they still penalize you for eating them. 

Can somebody explain how this is supposed to work? I understand that there are zero point foods you don't have to track, but a person could eat unlimited amounts of those foods and still not lose weight. What am I missing? All I see is that the system nudges a person towards healthier eating.

I multi-quoted before reading further and seeing that people answered your first post. As for the second I agree. I could eat apples and/or cuties (mandarins) and melon all day long. Granted, I'm not going to gorge on boneless skinless chicken breast, or beans, or some of the other zero points food, but fruit. Yeah. I could eat a lot of it if I'm not careful. And it's full of sugar.

Edited by Lady Florida.

Apples and bananas are only about 100 calories apiece. The foods with fiber are always favored by ww, from my understanding. Edited by Sandwalker

I at 1500 calories yesterday, and I'm breastfeeding, and burned several hundred exercising (walking). That seems reasonable. And yet WW says I went 5 points over my daily allotment. Yes, I can use weekly points, but again, they seem to encourage you to stay in your "healthy range" by staying no more than 3 points over each day. So that's pretty discouraging. 

Fruits and veggies *do* have points if you drink them (think smoothie) and I know plenty of people who could pop three pieces of fruit in a blender and then drink it. But I've never just sat down and eaten three pieces of fruit (though I have sat down and eaten 300 calories of cookies/latte/chips and dip).

Regentrude, I think the fact that your entire family is trim demonstrates, possibly, that people who have a tendency to over-indulge in fruit are already doing things right. I doubt any of the ladies in my group have this tendency. Or, if they do, they have enough other bad habits to prune first.

I really do find myself eating more fruits/veggies than I did before, so this nudge is working for me.

The book Sugar Salt Fat (I think) talks about how we eat the most if a food has all three. Any food you pair with fruit or shrimp or whatever does have points.

Emily

• Like 1

I just joined on the 3rd and I am down 8 pounds...it's not an ideal but it's working right now and I really needed something to make me pay attention to portion size and junk food vs real food. My sugar and empty carb intake is way down, I'm not hungry, I like Connect  for encouragement and to help me focus. I post once a day which I find motivating!

I have higher point fats like butter, olive oil, and/or avocado every day and it isn't derailing me! I just count the points. So far I am generally in blue dot zone lol...but I ate my weeklies last week and intend to keep doing so.

I like the Freestyle plan better than the old Points plus or Smart points - I can't remember but I've been on 2x WW before and I just like it way better this time!! Then again, it more than the food lists...I never cared for the meetings and last time I didn't have a smart phone so I didn't use the app.

• Like 1

I at 1500 calories yesterday, and I'm breastfeeding, and burned several hundred exercising (walking). That seems reasonable. And yet WW says I went 5 points over my daily allotment. Yes, I can use weekly points, but again, they seem to encourage you to stay in your "healthy range" by staying no more than 3 points over each day. So that's pretty discouraging.

Does the program account for breastfeeding when determining how many points you get?

I start tomorrow. I really have 40 pounds to lose and I need to get on it. I gained it nine years ago while on steroids for a really bad asthma flare up(turned out to be mold in the apartment weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d moved into). Even through fertility treatments and three kids, I seem to easily come back to this set point of 40 pounds heavier than I should be.

I think my body thinks itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s normal and I need to change that.

• Like 1

Fruits and veggies *do* have points if you drink them (think smoothie) and I know plenty of people who could pop three pieces of fruit in a blender and then drink it. But I've never just sat down and eaten three pieces of fruit

Really?

My breakfast today was a fruit salad consisting of a banana, an apple and an orange, and a scoop of yoghurt. If I had kiwi or grapes, I'd throw some of those in, too.

Regentrude, I think the fact that your entire family is trim demonstrates, possibly, that people who have a tendency to over-indulge in fruit are already doing things right. I doubt any of the ladies in my group have this tendency. Or, if they do, they have enough other bad habits to prune first.

I really do find myself eating more fruits/veggies than I did before, so this nudge is working for me.

Yes, I can definitely see how making fruit&veggies zero points would encourage people to eat more of them. Which I guess might automatically translate into eating less of something else... was just curious.

• Like 2

Points are definitely not just calories. They steer you in a healthier direction. Yesterday I ate 17 points and 1700 calories. Today I was at 35 points and 1600 calories. But today 25 of my points were potato chips and a bagel. But that was still only 900 calories. Yesterday, most of my calories were from beans and chicken. Which are zero points.

I'm not sure how it all works, but I do know I tried MFP for 3 months with very little progress even though the calorie deficit was there. With WW, I'm losing slowly but steadily.

Also, you are supposed to eat your weeklies. Somehow they are calculated into your total weekly food needs. There are all sorts of hack ideas on how to use them to your advantage. There is also a big group that don't believe in the blue dots. I don't do blue dots, but I do stay within my weeklies for the week. I usually save my weeklies for days like today, when I need a junk food fix;)

• Like 2

I can see sitting down to three fruits (in a fruit salad or something) but not, say, ten or twenty servings of fruit. There is, for most people, an upper limit up there somewhere.

Fruit, while sweeter and more calorie rich than veggies and a few other things, is still going to be more filling-per-calorie than the vast majority of other common food groups (dairy, meat, grain, processed snacks or sweets). Presuming that one's hypothetical massive fruit intake was filling, there would still be some net-calorie-benefit because of what wasn't being eaten.

• Like 2

I don't understand. I thought zero points means exactly that: you can eat as much as you want.

You're still supposed to watch portion sizes and eat to satisfaction, not full or stuffed. I was very leary at first, but I am getting to like it. I find I eat whole foods, minimal refined anything, and very clean. I really like the new program.

• Like 2

Based off what I know about you from these forums, this program would drive you batshit crazy because there is no apparent logic behind the Freestyle point system (at least that I could riddle out and I spent way too many hours doing nutritional comparisons to points assigned). It does not seem to adhere to current nutrional wisdom in many ways either. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m curious to see how long lived this iteration is.

Other than the zero point foods, the smart point calculations have remained the same. I think it'll be around for awhile. It's not for everyone, but it works if you work it. I'm a fan.

So, I'm trying it again...since I already paid for it. And my husband's aunt is doing it too,a nd I adore her. I'm going to tweak it though and count any lean meat as free, not just chicken breast. For variety sake. And work on making sure I get enough fat...so no fat free half and half (I hate myself for even buying it), etc. Using regular half and half in my coffee, and will use regular cheese, etc. And ignore that stupid blue zone thing. We shall see. If anything, I was losing too quickly when I was sticking to it strictly, so lets see if allowing some lean pork, etc works. And using up my weekly and fit points as needed. Without shaming myself for using them!

• Like 1

You're still supposed to watch portion sizes and eat to satisfaction, not full or stuffed. I was very leary at first, but I am getting to like it. I find I eat whole foods, minimal refined anything, and very clean. I really like the new program.

I like it, too. I was a little irritated this morning because I made that overnight refrigerator oatmeal and it ended up to be 11 points. I was like, I ate almost half of my entire points allowance for breakfast. And it was a healthy breakfast. But, I made southwest Chicken and barley soup for lunch and entered the recipe and it was only 1 point per serving, so now I am where I should be. I like the program because it does push me to healthy eating - a mandarin orange or half a banana for snack instead of something starchy. And I do use regular half and half in my coffee. Edited by KrissiK

So, I'm trying it again...since I already paid for it. And my husband's aunt is doing it too,a nd I adore her. I'm going to tweak it though and count any lean meat as free, not just chicken breast. For variety sake. And work on making sure I get enough fat...so no fat free half and half (I hate myself for even buying it), etc. Using regular half and half in my coffee, and will use regular cheese, etc. And ignore that stupid blue zone thing. We shall see. If anything, I was losing too quickly when I was sticking to it strictly, so lets see if allowing some lean pork, etc works. And using up my weekly and fit points as needed. Without shaming myself for using them!

I eat all my weeklies & fitpoi nts every week and still lose. I'm 2bs from goal ost 2.4 this week and was negative 81 points from a big meal out.

• Like 1

I like it, too. I was a little irritated this morning because I made that overnight refrigerator oatmeal and it ended up to be 11 points. I was like, I ate almost half of my entire points allowance for breakfast. And it was a healthy breakfast. But, I made southwest Chicken and barley soup for lunch and entered the recipe and it was only 1 point per serving, so now I am where I should be. I like the program because it does push me to healthy eating - a mandarin orange or half a banana for snack instead of something starchy. And I do use regular half and half in my coffee.

I make my overnight oats with 1/3 cup old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 7/8 teaspoon chia seeds, and about a cup frozen blueberries. I shake everything but the berries, then add the berries and leave it overnight. DELICIOUS. Sweet without being gross. Oh my. 3 SP. I eat it daily.

• Like 3

Also I only eat real cheese, full fat sour cream etc. I also have bourbon/lime/seltzer each evening and 1/2T heavy cream in iced coffee every afternoon .

Also I only eat real cheese, full fat sour cream etc. I also have bourbon/lime/seltzer each evening and 1/2T heavy cream in iced coffee every afternoon .

I'd rather eat/drink a smaller amount of full fat stuff than a bigger portion of low fat, fat free, or fake stuff. I don't mind sugar substitutes though. I switched to splenda in my coffee and kept the full fat half and half. It helped reduce my breakfast points. The only non-fat item I can eat and actually enjoy is non-fat yogurt.

I took a closer look at iTrackbites last night and the app doesn't seem at all intuitive. I'm not sure I want to buy any add ons if I'm not going to like the base app. Maybe I should just stick to something else. I have free versions of MFP, Lose it, and Google Fit. I will have to play around with each to see what one I like best. Hopefully by the time my WW period is up I'll have found something else. 

I do think that even if I don't continue with WW I'll continue with some of the recipes that provide points. I like Skinnytaste and Emily Bites.

I make my overnight oats with 1/3 cup old fashioned oats, 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 7/8 teaspoon chia seeds, and about a cup frozen blueberries. I shake everything but the berries, then add the berries and leave it overnight. DELICIOUS. Sweet without being gross. Oh my. 3 SP. I eat it daily.

I'll have to try that. THe Greek yogurt was no points, but I had 1/2 c oats and 2/3 c skim milk. I also put flax seed meal in. And, yes... I put peanut butter in, which unnecessarily upped the points. It ended up being a lot to eat (I added a half a banana, too). I may try your recipe. 

• Like 1

If you're within so many points (I can't remember how many) of your allotted daily 23 (or whatever you get), you get a blue dot on the calendar. Then you get streaks showing how many days in a row you're meeting their definition of "healthy eating", but if you go much into your weeklies you don't get the blue dot. 

What makes it confusing, it that if you're supposed to eat your weeklies, then why do they almost penalize you for them by indicating they aren't healthy? Seems like as long as you stay in your points overall, it should still be considered as such but no. 

Yes, I noticed that, too. I thought the weeklies were to help you out when you went out to dinner or a party or something. Shouldn't make you feel guilty.