Menu

Has the new Weight Watchers Freestyle been discussed yet?

HSmomof2

I read about WW new plan rolling out this week. Read about it on their website and decided to sign up online with their 3 months for price of 2 deal. I’ve tried WW many times in the past, and all the tracking makes me crazy. I think I’m going to really like not having to track so much. And their zero food list are things I like but won’t overeat. I’ve been doing THM the last couple weeks, but I’m actually excited about trying WW again with these changes. And their app is dramatically improved from the last time I used it. I have about 50 lbs to lose.

• Like 3

I just signed back up! Basically, the new program looks like exactly what my bariatric doctor wants me to eat. Hoping this will hold me accountable over the holidays. I've gained a pound from thanksgiving and holiday goodies and need to stop that before it gets worse. And although it is only 1 pound, I'm soft and doughy feeling...so it's more fat than that. 

However, I wish I had done it BEFORE eating nuggets and tater tots for my lunch! I've got my period and DH is out of town and I made crap for lunch. Between that and too much cream cheese for breakfast I have 5 daily points left, lol! (I probably overestimated, the dog ate part of my breakfast, but whatever). I could have waited to start tracking tomorrow but knew I'd end up binging on crap tonight if I did that. 

• Like 7

I've been on it three months and I'm excited about the change. It will definitely lead me toward healthier choices and I like the rollover features for special occasions. I've lost 11 pounds. I think this comes at a good time to keep me motivated through the holidays and the new year.

• Like 5

I've been on it three months and I'm excited about the change. It will definitely lead me toward healthier choices and I like the rollover features for special occasions. I've lost 11 pounds. I think this comes at a good time to keep me motivated through the holidays and the new year.

That’s great to hear! So far today, I’ve had all three meals, incorporated some zero points foods in normal portions, and still have 8 points left.

• Like 1

That’s great to hear! So far today, I’ve had all three meals, incorporated some zero points foods in normal portions, and still have 8 points left.

I meant I've been on weight watchers, not the version though. The new plan is effective for me Friday on my weigh in day. But I'm still a Weight watchers fan:) and I think the new program will be great and lead me to healthier choices.

I go to WW for the meetings but I usually track on MyFitnessPal. I’m actually following the DASH diet, and I swear it’s just about the same as WW. Except DASH is free from NIH, and has definite portion control (more restrictive). I think I like the new WW better, and I may start tracking there too. My updated app doesn’t start til Saturday, so idk if the new app is better. I use MyFitnessPal to track mostly because I’m always making new recipes and it’s a ton easier on the MyFitnessPal app. But, WW is nice to think about and focus on weekly.

• Like 1

I just received an email today. I'm not interested for myself, although I love Weight Watchers, but ds is planning on starting in January. I'm sure they will have some kind of deal then. I did WW last year and loved it. Ds is special needs and I will need to do most of the meal planning and tracking for him, so I hope to find out as much info as possible. I hope some of the foods he likes are some of the free foods, but I doubt it. He loves all the wrong things and has a somewhat restricted diet due to sensory issues, but he has been getting better with expanding his food choices for the last few years. I'm seriously considering an air fryer just to make healthier versions of food he likes. I would love to get him involved in their social media site. It was so supportive and there were some great guys on there that would be positive role models for him. Hopefully it's still like that! 

• Like 1

This is just a guess, but my hunch is that they are trying to model after Nutrisystem and their free food list.

When I did nutrisystem way back when only veggies and fruit were free, plus you added low fat dairy to some meals or something...I forget exactly. Did they change that?

Fruits and veggies have been free on WW for a long time, but chicken/turkey/eggs/fat free yogurt are game changers. 

I am modeling my meals around lean protein and veggies and fruit, and then "seasoning" with fats and carbs.

(I'd say that THAT part is similar to NS)

I'm thinking of dropping the hint to my DH to give this a try.  Not sure if I will or how I will.  I don't want to be controlling in that way, but he complains about wanting to lose weight, but hates being constantly hungry.  I think knowing there are free foods he can eat if hungry (even if they aren't necessarily his idea of fun) would help a lot.

I read that corn is free too.  That's an odd one.  Why corn?

(I think it looks like a very sane/doable diet.)

Probably because you poop out so much of it, lol. And most people won't binge on corn on the cob or whatever. Popcorn and snacky stuff is not free. 

I read that corn is free too. That's an odd one. Why corn?

(I think it looks like a very sane/doable diet.)

In context, it used to be, "Most veg are free, except peas, corn, potatoes, avocado and beans/legumes." Now it's, "Almost all veg are free, including peas, corn and beans. Potatoes and avocados still cost."

Personally, I don't see how it makes any sense. Why are chicken breast, turkey breast, eggs and yogurt such great sources of protein that they are "free" -- but pork loin and extra lean beef are costly ways to add variety? What makes the first options better than the others?

And how is soy supposed to work as a free 'bean'? I'm sure it is possible to eat it soy as 'a side of beans' -- but soy is mostly eaten in powders, bars and tofu. Tofu is free, but what about the rest of it?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I went all in and signed up for in-person meetings (we have a meeting at a location I can literally see from my house so it is super convenient). 

I am 12 days in now and it is my birthday. I saved points so I could eat cheesecake (been eating lots of fruit, veggies, and lean protein today) but then my family had to go places tonight. Maybe eggnog? So tomorrow is cheesecake and I need to be skimpy on points again during the day.

My point value is pretty high because I'm quite tall and nursing. I felt like I was eating "too much" the first week because it felt like I shouldn't be able to diet and eat that much food. But at my first weigh in, I was down 3.2 lbs and my jeans are looser. I did notice that I was choosing smaller portions and forgoing foods that I don't really enjoy. For example, I skipped the sugar cookies at my friend's house because I don't really like them. I did eat an ounce of high quality chocolate that night, though.

It feels very doable to me right now, even with two birthdays this week and Christmas on Monday.

​Emily

• Like 2

I'm easing into it and its growing on me. (I commented before - I've been doing ww since this summer and have lost 47.4 pounds.) I'm being mindful of portion size and careful with tracking. I'm also careful about eating whole foods and limiting processed anything. Processed foods EAT points and I'm cheap with points, lol. I specifically limited sugar when I started, and won't eat artificially sweetened things, and my sweet tooth is WAY WAY better. My favorite treat now is overnight oats - unsweetened yogurt, unsweetened almond milk, chia seeds, old fashioned oats, and blueberries. Yum. Yum. Yum.

I really think the program will work well. Theoretically I could eat tons of corn and gain, but the zero point foods aren't ones of binge on - or want to. I can't even eat corn now - it's grossly sweet to me. I think the system really encourages you to eat whole, unprocessed, fiber and protein rich foods. Then they give you points to manage and limit the rest. I think it's smart and maintainable.

And - Connect is amazing. The online support of others is just priceless. Its like Instagram - but encouraging, kind, and helpful. Its a total game changer.

Anyone on the fence - try it!!

• Like 4

And - Connect is amazing. The online support of others is just priceless. Its like Instagram - but encouraging, kind, and helpful. Its a total game changer.

Anyone on the fence - try it!!

Do you think the online features would work well with ONLY laptop access?  No smart phone here, so when you say "It's like Instagram" (which I think of as a smartphone app), it made me wonder......

So, I lost the first week. Stayed about the same the second week, and struggled with milk supply. Gave up for now, will try again after christmas :(

I'm just way too mentally distracted and overwhelmed right now to focus on this, if that makes any sense? I haven't had a good night's sleep in a week and with Christmas and other stress I can't add another thing to be worrying about. I am keeping it in mind though, and will start back up after Christmas I think. 

Also, I had bariatric surgery and one of the biggest benefits was not stressing out over food...not being afraid of food for lack of a better phrase. And I noticed that I was starting to feel that way again..worrying about points, etc. So will keep an eye on that. This may not work for me for that reason. 

• Like 1

I think it points you to more lean protein and fresh fruits and veggies because those are 0 point foods. For me, that makes it healthier than calorie counting.

I do believe in not fixing what works. If MFP calorie counting works for you, why change? I have never been able to count calories well but I find WW tracking very doable.

Emily

Edamame?

Yep-free! I love snacking on edamame. 

I dropped out of WW several times and after the last time I vowed never to return. Hearing about this new program though, I broke my vow. I used to do meetings, but now I'm online only. (I thought I loved meetings, but honestly I found them annoying. It's nice to have that time back, and I don't feel like I'll play the weigh-in mind games with myself just weighing at home).

I'm loving this plan. I tried some previous non-counting plans (like Simply Filling) because counting can be overwhelming at times. But I found those to be too restrictive. Anything not on the list cost points, and IIRC you had to use your weeklies, which were very limited. 

But this new plan is the best of both worlds! Finally you get enough dailies to eat non-free foods you actually want. But I really like eggs and chicken, so that helps a lot.

My first official (home) weigh-in is tomorrow morning. I expect to be down around four pounds based on my unofficial weigh-ins. My weight has been STUCK this year, and I've cycled through just about every plan there is. Most recently I was doing intermittent fasting with a four hour eating window daily. To lose four pounds in a week after doing that for a month is amazing, especially during the holidays!  :thumbup:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I'm out. Sigh. For some reason, weight watchers makes me angry. Seriously, I have no idea why counting points makes me so freaking annoyed, when calorie counting, carb counting, etc do not. There has to be some deep seated psychological reason, lol. But it does. And now I'm angry I paid for 3 months of it when I hate it. Back to regular old tracking for me. 

• Like 3

I'm out. Sigh. For some reason, weight watchers makes me angry. Seriously, I have no idea why counting points makes me so freaking annoyed, when calorie counting, carb counting, etc do not. There has to be some deep seated psychological reason, lol. But it does. And now I'm angry I paid for 3 months of it when I hate it. Back to regular old tracking for me. 

Awe.  Sorry.  

I've been on it 2 weeks now and am down 4 lbs. I'm finding it very doable and am definitely eating healthier than just calorie counting. Dh is down about 10. I feel like I can stick with it and the food emphasis aligns with my ideal healthy diet. So... Pretty pleased. (online only)

• Like 3

I've been on it 5 weeks. I've lost 8.6 pounds. I find it very doable in a way I haven't found other tracking to be.

I really like that the foods I feel I ought to be eating, like veggies and fruit,are zero points. It definitely leads me to more healthy foods. Some points seem less logical than others, but I think it makes refined sugar, white flour, and saturated fat high points. Protein is low to no points. I'm OK with that.

Emily

• Like 1

I tried signing up for WW online, but couldn't get the US app ... so I cancelled and they were kind enough to refund me.

I am using the iTrackBites app using Bites Plus (the old WW PointsPlus plan). I started on Jan 1, but didn't weigh myself until the 4th ... anyway, I have lost about 5 lbs in two weeks. I'm happy with that. I went through my recipes and figured out how many points a serving is. I actually don't really have to change what I eat, just how much. My diet was pretty good before - lots of lentils, beans, veggies, chicken, eggs, etc. I am eating more fruit (rarely ate fruit before) and more veggies ... like I made lasagna with eggplant & zucchini instead of meat. But I have been working on adding more veggies for a while, so this just continues that. This does give me a reason to not indulge in sweets - I had a habit of eating a bit of chocolate most days, but tracking sweets kinda takes the fun out of it. I am struggling with being hungry all the time, often even right after I eat. It only seems to go away when I have a bunch of carbs. I am just getting used to it.

iTrackBites lets you choose between plans.

BITES Smart values are calculated using Calories, Sat Fat, Sugar, and Protein

BITES Plus values are calculated using Protein, Carbs, Total Fat, and Fiber.

BITES Classic values are calculated using Calories, Total Fat, and Fiber.

Calories is just plain old calorie counting!

I found this advice on a blog:

Are you having difficulty with portion control? [Choose Classic] 
Do you eat too many carbohydrates? [Choose Bites Plus/PointsPlus]
Are sugary treats or fast food your downfall? [Choose Bites Smart/SmartPoints]
  • Like 2

I wanted to add that I go to the in person meetings. The location is a block from my house so it seemed like an obvious choice. I didn't want another online support group and talking about food/weight/etc one hour per week is enough for me. I do find it helpful. I like the people in my group (8 am Saturday means they are committed) and my leader.

Last week, a lady who has been with WW for multiple years and just made it to 100 lbs gave a talk about what she advises for success and what she has learned on the way. I was glad to be there!

Emily

• Like 1

I have the itrackbites and looked at it today.  They still haven't added the new Freestyle plan, but are the points values of foods the same other than the now free foods?  In other words, if I eat a piece of chocolate, it is the same points on FS as the old plan?

I just get 23 instead of 30 points of the non-free foods, is that correct?

So, I could just use the itrackbites old plan but only get to 23 for now and use my free foods and not track them?

I wanted to add that I go to the in person meetings. The location is a block from my house so it seemed like an obvious choice. I didn't want another online support group and talking about food/weight/etc one hour per week is enough for me. I do find it helpful. I like the people in my group (8 am Saturday means they are committed) and my leader.

Last week, a lady who has been with WW for multiple years and just made it to 100 lbs gave a talk about what she advises for success and what she has learned on the way. I was glad to be there!

Emily

The closest one to me is about 12 miles.  There is one closer but it is at a church, and only Monday nights.  I can't do that.

And working full time, I am just TIRED, the thought of getting up Saturday mornings on top of Sun (church) through Friday (work) makes me want to throw in the towel already!  HA

I have the itrackbites and looked at it today. They still haven't added the new Freestyle plan, but are the points values of foods the same other than the now free foods? In other words, if I eat a piece of chocolate, it is the same points on FS as the old plan?

So, I could just use the itrackbites old plan but only get to 23 for now and use my free foods and not track them?

Yes, you could manually set your points in iTrackBites and not track the free foods.

• Like 1

I joined two weeks ago, and I'm loving it!! It took me almost the first full week to learn the emphasis of the points. Several foods (nuts and half/half especially) that I had enjoyed pretty freely on previous plans were sending me over my daily points quickly.  I had to adjust to that, but now I feel that I'm already making serious...and dare I say it...enjoyable progress!

I love, love, love the fact that no food is off limits. I ate a Chik-fil-a chicken sandwich Wednesday night for the first time in over a year. It was SO amazingly delicious and fun to eat! Yes, it was high in points, but I had planned ahead and eaten eggs and spinach and tuna salad and oranges that day, so I had lots of points to spare for that sandwich. I did pass on the waffle fries which would have sent me over my daily points goal, but that was fine since I ate the sandwich with NO GUILT!! :-) 

I am still avoiding desserts just because of my personal sugar monster but just knowing that I *could* have one (if I planned for it) keeps it from being a constant nag in the back of my brain. 

I am online only, too. I don't have a smartphone, but I can log my days on my laptop easily. I can also look at the Connect site...Weight Watcher's social media site...but cannot post on it. I've already seen multiple amazing stories on it and found some very helpful hints, too. 

I can see myself following this plan for a long, long time. YAY!!

• Like 5

I still have a month left of my subscription. Like ktgrok, WW tracking makes me angry after a couple weeks, and it kind of gets me obsessed with food and planning. I stopped tracking 2 weeks ago and have been doing no s. Gets my hyper focus on food under control, and I’ve lost 4 lbs in the last two weeks.

• Like 3

I have the itrackbites and looked at it today. They still haven't added the new Freestyle plan, but are the points values of foods the same other than the now free foods? In other words, if I eat a piece of chocolate, it is the same points on FS as the old plan?

I think some things are different. Not positive but I think a glass of red wine used to be 5 and now it is 4.

I get 23 with FS instead of 26 on the prvious plan.

I have got to get serious. My goal is 15 pounds by May 1. 15 weeks. Totally doable but I can't seem to get motivated. Part of my issue is having to feed these adult men that live with me. Lol.....I do really well if I can mostly skip supper.....but it is hard to skip when I have to cook.

• Like 1

I tried it for almost a month and all the focus on counting made me focus on food constantly which made me hungrier than normal, plus all the free foods.... I ate a lot more than usual.  Last couple weeks I've instead focused on portions.  Including portions of fat in cooking, portions of the very occasional sweet. How much meat, it it whole grain etc... and I've lost 5 pounds.  I'm trying to follow the DASH diet. I have high blood pressure and, when not on metformin, diabetes so DASH is probably best. 

• Like 2

I got all excited and signed up before Christmas but I cancelled last night. Like the others, tracking makes me feel resentful and led me straight to binge eating and weight gain. I am very rebellious by nature.

I should have known better. But at least it got me thinking about my food issues instead of ignoring them.

• Like 1

I think some things are different. Not positive but I think a glass of red wine used to be 5 and now it is 4.

I get 23 with FS instead of 26 on the prvious plan.

I have got to get serious. My goal is 15 pounds by May 1. 15 weeks. Totally doable but I can't seem to get motivated. Part of my issue is having to feed these adult men that live with me. Lol.....I do really well if I can mostly skip supper.....but it is hard to skip when I have to cook.

I cannot skip dinner.  But I also am aiming for 15 pounds by around May 1st, hopefully more than that, but I will take it if that is all I can do.

I guess maybe I should join online for the first month or two, to get used to it, and then use the itrackbites once they add the new program in.

Tracking has made me realize how out of control my portion sizes were. For me, it really helps to have a way to quantify portion size. Because I am tall and nurse, most portion size guides don't work for me. But WW does. I am a numbers person who doesn't eat fake food, and WW works with that.

Emily

• Like 4