Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW49: Delightful December

Robin M

Glad to hear you enjoyed Indridason's books.  I've debated which one to start with.  And I'm the same as you. Like to start at the beginning versus in the middle of series.    

Well, they don't seem to have bothered to translate the first two books of the main Erlendur series into English.  :001_rolleyes:  Jar City, #3 is the first one of the ones they translated.  I ended up reading it first even though I could get the first two in German, just so I could talk about it with others.  I did go back and read #2, and it was good - no idea why they didn't translate it.  That's where Sigurður Óli meets his girlfriend BergÞora.  I have yet to get to #1.  But it seemed fine starting with Jar City, even though there obviously is backstory in the earlier books, it wasn't necessary to understand the story.

The other books were written later and are prequels (sounds like before he was even a detective?)  They're set earlier, but written later.  And you'd still have the two-book gap. ;)

• Like 7

Well, they don't seem to have bothered to translate the first two books of the main Erlendur series into English.  :001_rolleyes:  Jar City, #3 is the first one of the ones they translated.  I ended up reading it first even though I could get the first two in German, just so I could talk about it with others.  I did go back and read #2, and it was good - no idea why they didn't translate it.  That's where Sigurður Óli meets his girlfriend BergÞora.  I have yet to get to #1.  But it seemed fine starting with Jar City, even though there obviously is backstory in the earlier books, it wasn't necessary to understand the story.

The other books were written later and are prequels (sounds like before he was even a detective?)  They're set earlier, but written later.  And you'd still have the two-book gap. ;)

I wish they would translate the first two in English. I was able to get to know the characters well enough by starting with Jar City but it would be nice to start from the beginning.

Oh, Robin, my Bingo prize came.  Thanks so much!!!!! 

Yes, mine too. Thank you Robin!!

• Like 6

I know a number of us here have enjoyed Ashley Gardner's Captain Lacey Regency mysteries.  The first three novels and two stories are currently on sale for Kindle readers for 99 cents.

Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Volume One  by Ashley Gardner and Jennifer Ashley

and currently free by the same author is Past Crimes: A Compendium of Historical Mysteries by Ashley Gardner and Jennifer Ashley.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 7

Jpeg is now available plus posted the info on 52 Books blog 

2018%2B52%2BBooks%2BBingo.jpg

Challenge Rules

• Each book should be at least 150 pages long
  • Categories are open for interpretation 
  • Each category may be fiction or nonfiction
  • All forms of books are acceptable including e-books, audio books, library books, etc.
  • Re-reads are acceptable as long as they are read after January 1, 2018
  • No double counting - one book per square
  • Free Space is book of your choice 
  • Bonus mystery squares may be any genre if not into mysteries

• Like 7

It is about literature analyse,

But seeing you all struggling with these concepts give us confidence :)

I think the english words are narritive time & narration time,

Does that sounds familiar?

Yes, both narrative and narration make sense in literary analysis.  

Narrative time is the timeline of a story and can be either chronological following a strict time line or nonlinear in which there are jumps in time backwards and forwards.      Narration is the narrator of the story who can be at any point in time in the story, telling what is happening which relates to the narrative. They can be narrating in first, 2nd or third or omniscient point of view.   Does that make sense? 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5

Well, they don't seem to have bothered to translate the first two books of the main Erlendur series into English. :001_rolleyes: Jar City, #3, is the first one of the ones they translated. I ended up reading it first even though I could get the first two in German, just so I could talk about it with others. I did go back and read #2, and it was good - no idea why they didn't translate it. That's where Sigurður Óli meets his girlfriend BergÞora. I have yet to get to #1. But it seemed fine starting with Jar City, even though there obviously is backstory in the earlier books, it wasn't necessary to understand the story.

The other books were written later and are prequels (sounds like before he was even a detective?) They're set earlier, but written later. And you'd still have the two-book gap. ;)

I read Jar City over a year ago at the start of a Scandinavian mystery binge. I remember liking it and I know I gave it 4 stars but not much else. So I can't really compare. I will say one of the reasons I really liked Reykjavik Nights is because the main character is a young police officer. He goes out of his way to solve a crime evolving a homeless man who Erlendur considered a friend when no one else even considers to be a crime. There is also a bit of personal back story that evolves how Erlendur came to be living in Reykjavik that didn't ring any bells which I suspect will be helpful when I go back to reading the series.....or it might not because the book was written after the rest. :lol: There is nothing wrong with not starting with Reykjavik Nights especially since he is so much younger in it but I did like the book.

• Like 4

I need gift suggestions for a rather reclusive, rather reluctantly graduating from uni in May, aspiring fantasy writer nephew who has very few wants or needs. He is one of my sources of books to read because we are buddies and he has me pegged and because my youngest and I are the ones in the clan whose reading overlaps with his, although he reads about a half inch of thickness an hour. Any ideas?

Nan

• Like 5

I need gift suggestions for a rather reclusive, rather reluctantly graduating from uni in May, aspiring fantasy writer nephew who has very few wants or needs. He is one of my sources of books to read because we are buddies and he has me pegged and because my youngest and I are the ones in the clan whose reading overlaps with his, although he reads about a half inch of thickness an hour. Any ideas?

Nan

You have probably figured out that I don't read much sci fi\ fantasy that involves outer space but one of the challenges last year made me pick up The Long Way to a Small, Angry, Planet https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22733729-the-long-way-to-a-small-angry-planet?ac=1&from_search=true which I really enjoyed. It probably would be considered total fluff by your nephew but I think you would like it! ;) :lol: Edited by mumto2
  • Like 4

and currently free by the same author is Past Crimes: A Compendium of Historical Mysteries by Ashley Gardner and Jennifer Ashley.

Sigh. I read the novella that introduced the protagonist and was looking forward to the novel. I'm disappointed at the price though. The Captain Lacey Kindle editions are all in the $4 - $5 dollar range. This one is $10. She did say on Goodreads a while back that she was looking at a contract with a larger publisher so that probably explains the higher price. The Captain Lacey mysteries are enjoyable fluff - but most definitely fluff - and I expect the new Kat Holloway mysteries will be similar especially if the novella was any indication. To me fluff isn't worth $10. Oh well. I'll watch for a sale. 

ETA: I just realized that Past Crimes includes the novella mentioned above. I read that one some time ago. The book I was actually complaining about is Death Below Stairs

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 5

Nan

The Fantasy Fiction Formula? I read this last year and found it very helpful in analyzing and creating stories. I’m on my mobile otherwise I’d add a goodreads link.

https://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Fiction-Formula-Deborah-Chester/dp/0719097061

• Like 4

Challenge Rules

• All forms of books are acceptable including e-books, audio books, library books, etc.

Ooooh the categories are looking like ones that I could fit into my reading style. Maybe I'll join in next year :). Off to ponder...

SaveSave

• Like 6

Sigh. I read the novella that introduced the protagonist and was looking forward to the novel. I'm disappointed at the price though. The Captain Lacey Kindle editions are all in the $4 - $5 dollar range. This one is $10. She did say on Goodreads a while back that she was looking at a contract with a larger publisher so that probably explains the higher price. The Captain Lacey mysteries are enjoyable fluff - but most definitely fluff - and I expect the new Kat Holloway mysteries will be similar especially if the novella was any indication. To me fluff isn't worth $10. Oh well. I'll watch for a sale. 

ETA: I just realized that Past Crimes includes the novella mentioned above. I read that one some time ago. The book I was actually complaining about is Death Below Stairs

I hear you on the issue of high book prices.  I'm fortunate that my library has purchased each of the Captain Lacey books and will likely buy those in the new series assuming that they are issued in paperback.  Watching for sales is certainly a plan.  As I mentioned above the first three Captain Lacey books plus two novellas are currently on sale for 99 cents.  See:

Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries Volume One  by Ashley Gardner and Jennifer Ashley

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Currently free for Kindle readers ~

a one day only deal:  Post-Human Omnibus Edition (1-4) (Post-Human Series)  by David Simpson

for two days only, a children's picture book:  CHOOPICK - A tale of a little snail )English-Japanese) by Tal Shimizu and 清水 タル

Beyond Dead: A Bridget Sway Novel (A Paranormal Ghost Cozy Mystery Series Book 1) by Jordaina Sydney Robinson

An Unforgivable Love Story  by B.L. Berry

male/male romance: Bread, Salt and Wine  by Dev Bentham

And 2018 Bingo people, this has red shoes on the cover!: Trouble in Loveland  by Jennifer Peel

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Some recent reads here:

I read Artemis: A Novel  by Andy Weir; I did enjoy it though I prefer The Martian.  I will likely reread it at some point.  Also, my husband read the book during Thanksgiving; he liked it, too.

Some random thoughts:

The author created an interesting setting.
The book had a number of strong women characters though most of them are not the most moral.
It had two father/daughter pairs but no mothers.
It had the obligatory gay friend.
It made me laugh from time to time.

I also read Let It Snow (Minnesota Christmas Book 1)  by Heidi Cullinan which was an enjoyable male/male romance.  (Adult content)

"Stylist Frankie Blackburn never meant to get lost in Logan, Minnesota, but his malfunctioning GPS felt otherwise, and a record-breaking snowfall ensures he won’t be heading back to Minneapolis anytime soon. Being rescued by three sexy lumberjacks is fine as a fantasy, but in reality the biggest of the bears is awfully cranky and seems ready to gobble Frankie right up.

Marcus Gardner wasn’t always a lumberjack—once a high-powered Minneapolis lawyer, he’s come home to Logan to lick his wounds, not play with a sassy city twink who might as well have stepped directly out of his past. But as the northwinds blow and guards come down, Frankie and Marcus find they have a lot more in common than they don’t. Could the man who won’t live in the country and the man who won’t go back to the city truly find a home together? Because the longer it snows, the deeper they fall in love, and all they want for Christmas is each other."

And I finished Frat Boy and Toppy by Anne Tenino which is another male/male romance.  I'd seen this title on a lot of lists so my expectations were high.  It was a pleasant read but not likely a book I'll reread.  (Adult content)

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6

a one day only deal: Post-Human Omnibus Edition (1-4) (Post-Human Series) by David Simpson

for two days only, a children's picture book: CHOOPICK - A tale of a little snail )English-Japanese) by Tal Shimizu and 清水 タル

Beyond Dead: A Bridget Sway Novel (A Paranormal Ghost Cozy Mystery Series Book 1) by Jordaina Sydney Robinson

An Unforgivable Love Story by B.L. Berry

male/male romance: Bread, Salt and Wine by Dev Bentham

And 2018 Bingo people, this has red shoes on the cover!: Trouble in Loveland by Jennifer Peel

Regards,

Kareni

Just downloaded the red shoe book because options are good. :) That category is now solved for sure. I had been thinking of rereading The Scarlet Slipper Mystery fro the Nancy Drew series http://nancydrew.wikia.com/wiki/The_Scarlet_Slipper_Mystery as a tribute to my favorite girl detective. I really loved that one! Edited by mumto2
  • Like 5

Are you ready for another spell it out challenge? I came up with a variety of names from the 2018 bingo categories. Check it out and let me know what you think. If I have too many of the same letters that would make life difficult or you would prefer to have a different person highlighted for any areas. Options are spell out first name or last name. And if you are feeling really ambitious, can go for the whole name. Or spell out the subject such as silk road, etc.

Bookwise, I'm reading Rick Yancey's young adult dystopian story - The 5th Wave. Quite good.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4

Are you ready for another spell it out challenge? I came up with a variety of names from the 2018 bingo categories. Check it out and let me know what you think. If I have too many of the same letters that would make life difficult or you would prefer to have a different person highlighted for any areas. Options are spell out first name or last name. And if you are feeling really ambitious, can go for the whole name. Or spell out the subject such as silk road, etc.

Bookwise, I'm reading Rick Yancey's young adult dystopian story - The 5th Wave. Quite good.

This looks great! :). I am still trying to pick which keywords I want to use. I may use the topics.....

I finished Chloe Neill's Biting Cold https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11746102-biting-cold. It is the sixth book in her paranormal series. I stopped reading these last year when she killed off my favorite character. I needed an author whose name stared with an N and this was available. It was actually pretty good since my favorite character was magically brought back to life. For real. ;). Maybe I will read more as needed. This is the type of books that I normally use for the spelling challenges.

I have moved on to my very last Bingo book, A Tan and Sandy Silence. It's a Travis McGee thriller by John Macdonald. There are many in this series and I have never made it beyond the first few pages of any. I am proud to say I have made it to 11% and finishing won't be painful. I still like Lee Child's Reacher far more. Reacher was modelled on the McGee character.

BTW, I recently discovered there is a Reacher movie starring Tom Cruise on Amazon Prime. I watched a few minutes of it but decided Cruise as Reacher did not work for me, especially since I want to keep reading the books! Here is the trailer

• Like 5

For those of you who have a local store, here's a coupon for 25% off a single item at Barnes and Noble.  It's good through the 10th and can be used once per day.  It's shareable.

https://www.barnesan...CuSoFQFBrCoFwUA

Two bookish posts ~ 

Necessary Whimsy: Grumpy Chickens and Other Fun Ways to Escape the Hectic Holidays  by Lish McBride

A one day only currently free book for Kindle readers ~  

The House of Closed Doors by Jane Steen

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Happiest of birthdays, Amy!! Hope it involved books and chocolate and a festive beverage :party:

In case anyone is wondering, we are well south of the big fire in San Diego county, but are ready to evacuate in case something new pops up. The conditions are really bad, with high winds and low humidity expected through Sunday night.

• Like 6

Happiest of birthdays, Amy!! Hope it involved books and chocolate and a festive beverage :party:

In case anyone is wondering, we are well south of the big fire in San Diego county, but are ready to evacuate in case something new pops up. The conditions are really bad, with high winds and low humidity expected through Sunday night.

So glad you checked in and that you are safe for now!

🌷

• Like 3

BTW, I recently discovered there is a Reacher movie starring Tom Cruise on Amazon Prime. I watched a few minutes of it but decided Cruise as Reacher did not work for me, especially since I want to keep reading the books! Here is the trailer

I know, really poor casting for Reacher. I’ve read quite a few of books in the series and Cruise doesn’t fit at all. He is neither intense or tall and muscular. What were they thinking? Sigh! Could have been a really good movie otherwise.if only Lee Child could act as well as he writes, 🤠 Edited by Robin M
  • Like 5

Happy Birthday Amy! (I think I'm a day late?)

I finished The Painted Veil and Acqua Alta. I really liked The Painted Veil. I wasn't sure I would because Maugham is hit and miss for me. 

Acqua Alta is the fifth Inspector Brunetti novel and the first one I didn't like. It was very slow and I thought the villain was over the top. I'm hoping the author was just off her game for this one but it's going to cause me to wait a while before reading the next one.

• Like 7

Thanks for all those replies to my question about vertelde tijd en verteltijd!

This was for the part of the exam ‘know this words and be able to use them’.

She was also working on a book report/analysis (not one of her exam books but a practice one) and working on that vocab for literature analyse list helped to process the book.

• Like 6

Some recent reads here ~

I quite enjoyed Libby Drew's 40 Souls to Keep which was a contemporary mystery/paranormal romance featuring two men.  (Adult content)  I'd previously read and enjoyed another book by this author, and I'd happily read more. 

"Seven years ago, Jase awoke with the mystical power to heal people—and no memory of his past. The only clue to his identity is the number forty tattooed on his arm. Driven by a mission he doesn't understand, Jase follows his visions to those he's meant to save. He is convinced that the fortieth person he's drawn to—a little girl named Macy Pearl—is the key to finally learning the truth…

Social worker Lucas Jacobson has made a promise to protect Macy, orphaned when her parents were brutally murdered. So when Jase shows up in Naples claiming he's there to heal the child, Lucas is wary, despite his attraction to the enigmatic stranger.

Then Macy is abducted, and Lucas has no choice but to trust in Jase. Scouring the city from its glitzy resorts to its seedy underbelly only deepens the mystery—and draws the two men closer. But Jase is certain of one thing: if Macy dies, a dark fate awaits them all."

I also reread Laura Spinella's Foretold (A Ghost Gifts Novel Book 2) which I only recently read.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Discovered during my internet wanderings:

Marie Brennan's How to Fight in a Victorian Dress

Kazuo Ishiguro  Nobel lecture    

B&N Podcast on Lee Child and his latest Jack Reacher story - The Midnight Line

Publisher Weekly's top ten of 2017 -   White Tears and In the Distance are now on my want list for Christmas.

Reading wise, started Keri Arthur's 3rd book in her Outcast series - The Black Tide.   Nora Robert's newest  Year One is waiting in the wings.   I starting reading Neil Gaiman's non fiction book of essays and thoughts  -  View From the Cheap Seats and loving his insights and thoughts. 

I had one of those spoke too soon moments and having 2nd and 3rd thoughts about the spelling challenge.   Plans are evolving for 2018 and decided I would be making life difficult not only for myself but you all as well so will be adjusting quite a bit.  Ideas and authors will still be incorporated but just a bit differently.  No tomatoes please.   :leaving:  I'll blame it on Gaiman and Ishiguro!  :laugh: 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

a one day only deal: The Unique Hamlet: A Hitherto Unchronicled Adventure of Mr. Sherlock Holmes by Vincent Starrett

for children: A Night at the Animal Shelter  by Mark J. Asher

mystery:  A Case of Blackmail in Belgravia  by Clara Benson

supernatural mystery: Moon Dance (Deluxe edition) by J.R. Rain

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Challenge Rules

This mystery gal is so excited about 2018!

Nan

On Writing by Stephen King. It's been one of my favorite writing books even though I'm not usually a fan of his stuff. (Scares me too much- it's the anti-thesis of Flufferton Abbey!)

Ooooh the categories are looking like ones that I could fit into my reading style. Maybe I'll join in next year :). Off to ponder...

SaveSave

Do join us! Even if you don't get it blackout it's a lot of fun to play along!

• Like 4

Question of the day:

Which would you rather read and/or watch:   Rowling's Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket A Series of Unfortunate Events. 

Adventures with Books
By Velda Blumhagen

Books are ships that sail the seas
To lands of snow or jungle trees.
And I’m the captain bold and free
Who will decide which place we’ll see.
Come, let us sail the magic ship.

Books are trains in many lands,
Crossing hills or desert sands.
And I’m the engineer who guides
The train on its exciting rides.
Come, let us ride the magic train.

Books are zoos that make a home
For birds and beasts not free to roam.
And I’m the keeper of the zoo,
I choose the things to show to you.
Come, let us visit in a zoo.

Books are gardens, fairies, elves,
Cowboys, and people like ourselves.
And I can find with one good look
Just what I want inside a book.
Come, let us read! For reading’s fun!
Edited by Robin M
  • Like 2

Just popping in for a minute while my plan sheets are printing. Yes. Still working. Three things left to submit by Friday.

I just requested a bunch of graphic novels from the library because that's the only way I'm going to get reach my 101 books read in 2017 goal. Possibly it's cheating but at this point I'm desperate.

*hello* and *goodbye*

Catch up with you guys next week!

• Like 7

Question of the day:

Which would you rather read and/or watch:   Rowling's Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket A Series of Unfortunate Events. 

Harry Potter on both fronts (read and watch). I don't like Lemony Snicket at all.

Just popping in for a minute while my plan sheets are printing. Yes. Still working. Three things left to submit by Friday.

I just requested a bunch of graphic novels from the library because that's the only way I'm going to get reach my 101 books read in 2017 goal. Possibly it's cheating but at this point I'm desperate.

*hello* and *goodbye*

Catch up with you guys next week!

Hello and goodbye. I hope you get it all done with time to spare and relax a bit.

• Like 4

I disliked the Lemony Snicket books, haven't seen the movie but quite enjoyed the Netflix series.  So I would choose watch for that.

Would much rather read HP but am OK with the movies, although I think I feel asleep during some of them.

So far this week I've managed to read three books and drain my adrenal glands.  

Books read:  It's All Relative by A. J. Jacobs - light hearted romp through the current state of genealogy as viewed through Jacobs typical lens of experimenting with everything out there on the subject on himself whilst also having a huge project (in this case, a giant global family reunion) to tie it all together.  Light and easy and made me want to get back to my genealogy work but time is not my friend right now.

Finding Gobi by Dion Leonard - this was one my former book club read last month and it had sounded interesting so I decided to read it even though I'm not part of the book club any more.  It's the story of an ultramarathoner who is joined by a little dog while competing in the Gobi Desert in China and then decided to bring him home to Scotland and all the difficulties that ensue after that point.  As a (mostly former) runner and a rather new dog-owner, I found both the racing and the dog aspects of the story interesting and it was a super quick read that I am passing on the DH and DD.

On Looking:  Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes by Alexandra Horowitz - this was my Prime Number book for the bingo.  It was rather disappointing because it was so uneven.  I wanted her to walk around the same block with the 11 experts and see the same block through their eyes but she kept going to different places so it didn't feel as neatly tied together as I'd hoped for.  Some experts (the insect guy, the urban animal guy) were more interesting than others, which led to some chapters being more interesting and cohesive than others.

As far as the adrenals, so far this week:

1.  I dropped my phone into a toilet (I always wondered about those people, now I know).

2.  My credit card number was stolen and $2500 worth of airline tickets in South America were fraudulently charged to it.

3.  The electric door locks on the car have been malfunctioning and they all locked while I was outside the car putting in gas - and the children were not, for once in their lives, in the car.  Everything else was in the car - the keys, my cell phone, my wallet.

4.  I spent an hour searching for the little boy across the street who had gone missing - he was supposed to be at a friend's house but had not gone there.

5.  My mother had a stroke and ended up in an ambulance headed to hospital.

The good news is that pretty  much everything has turned out for the best it can be (phone seems to work, credit card company caught the fraud and will reverse the charges - eventually, got CAA - like AAA - to open the car but of course it could happen again, little boy was found, my mother seems to have suffered no lasting effects that they can determine right now.  But my whole body is sore because it keeps on being so clenched and stressed for hours each day that my muscles literally hurt.  I certainly haven't done any exercise to cause this level of soreness.

I think I'm going to have a long relaxing bath and read something now.

• Like 5

Raifta, I can't like your post but am sending lots of hugs. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Zebra, No Netflix at our house. We probably wouldn't have Amazon Prime if dh didn't want his stuff instantly! We still buy DVDs. ;) I am actually not a huge fan of the HP movies because the books are so much better!

Eta.....I was posting at the same time as ErinE. Liking in support is fine with me. Actually that's what I normally do!

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 3

:grouphug: Raifta.  Prayers and good thoughts winging your way for your mother's complete recovery and a less stressful coming week.  

I read Jacob's A Year of Living Biblically which was entertaining as well as insightful.

Hubby read Drop Dead Healthy which got him into 10k walks and he hasn't stopped walking since.

Harry Potter is big in our household.  I tried reading Lemony Snicket but didn't get too far.  Don't have netflix as we use Amazon Prime plus still like to buy dvds since we watch stuff over and over again.  

• Like 4

I think I'm going to have a long relaxing bath and read something now.

Sending sympathy to you and positive thoughts for your mother's health.    I hope that bath was indeed relaxing.

On Looking:  Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes by Alexandra Horowitz - this was my Prime Number book for the bingo.  It was rather disappointing because it was so uneven. 

It makes eminent sense to me that a book named Eleven would be uneven; it might even (no pun intended) be odd.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2