Menu

Online high schools, any insights or experiences?

I got the timing wrong for the open house and missed the start -- the interactive questions worked well, but I'm not sure if there was a presentation at the beginning about how everything works.

Also, is the physical school in Ojai?  Fires are raging there now!

CAJinBE, did either of your DD's take one of the LS Mythology courses?  

Has anyone's DC done a Shmoop course online?  A huge number are U-C approved. 

I'd also love recommendations for a good, old fashioned, jargon-free, 11th grade English (Lit) course.  It's so hard to know what you're getting into when you can't see the materials until you register.  Course descriptions don't necessarily reflect the content.  I've found couple of demo English courses that have made my eyes cross and made me want to hurl myself out the window.  

• Like 2

I'd also love recommendations for a good, old fashioned, jargon-free, 11th grade English (Lit) course. It's so hard to know what you're getting into when you can't see the materials until you register. Course descriptions don't necessarily reflect the content. I've found couple of demo English courses that have made my eyes cross and made me want to hurl myself out the window.

Often 11th graders take special topic English- British Lit or Academic Writing, etc. A course marked 11th grade is sometimes remedial in topics (not always.) I hear you though.

• Like 1

Three of my kids took courses (not full-time) with IQ Academy now and then.  We thought they were excellent.  It is not available in every state though, and I think you need to be a resident of a state to access it, though I'm not sure.  When you are a resident of a state, you can sometimes work out a way to take the courses at no cost.  Perhaps you can have access to courses at a fee if you are out-of-state.

• Like 1

I got the timing wrong for the open house and missed the start -- the interactive questions worked well, but I'm not sure if there was a presentation at the beginning about how everything works.

Also, is the physical school in Ojai?  Fires are raging there now!

CAJinBE, did either of your DD's take one of the LS Mythology courses?  

Has anyone's DC done a Shmoop course online?  A huge number are U-C approved. 

I'd also love recommendations for a good, old fashioned, jargon-free, 11th grade English (Lit) course.  It's so hard to know what you're getting into when you can't see the materials until you register.  Course descriptions don't necessarily reflect the content.  I've found couple of demo English courses that have made my eyes cross and made me want to hurl myself out the window.  

Yes, LS is in Ojai. They said it was affecting some faculty and students on the blog. They haven't taken Mythology, just World Lit, AP Eng Lang, and British Lit. Sorry you missed the open house, but most of the info is on the website. 

• Like 1

Yes, LS is in Ojai. They said it was affecting some faculty and students on the blog. They haven't taken Mythology, just World Lit, AP Eng Lang, and British Lit. Sorry you missed the open house, but most of the info is on the website. 

I have a cousin who lives in Ojai. We visited them when DD was a baby. I remember driving in and out of there, I was thinking, "this would not be a good place to be if there is a Forest Fire".  I will try to get her on the phone later.   

• Like 1

CAJinBE, how was the Brit Lit course? Did you DD take the web or text version?  

I've asked this of the account rep I've been in touch with but haven't heard back you, and you might also know - what happens if you sign your kid up for a course and when you get access to it you realise that the materials and methodology simply aren't going to work?  I'm trying to see if we can withdraw from or change the Indiana course. Can you do that with LS within a set time?  I was less concerned about the other course because it was a lot less expensive, I could afford to make a mistake!

Let's hope everyone in California stays safe, and that the winds die down.  What a year!

PS -- just went on the LS website (duh!  why didn't I go straight there?)  -- looks like there is a 75% refund if you withdraw in the first 30 days; or 100% can be applied to a different course (though I'm not sure what the restrictions are on that). 

If anyone else is thinking of trying Indiana, it's pretty straightforward to withdraw or transfer if a course doesn't work out.  I have to say I have found them very straightforward to deal with. And it's possible that the English 11 course would have worked for someone coming out of the US education system.  I guess it takes a while to get the courses right; I just hope DD doesn't get too frustrated in the process.

Edited by lamamma
  • Like 1

<snip> And it's possible that the English 11 course would have worked for someone coming out of the US education system.  I guess it takes a while to get the courses right; I just hope DD doesn't get too frustrated in the process.

Trying to help your DD from getting  too stressed out by all of this IMO should be your #1 priority.   I assume that she is under very extreme stress at this time. That is very bad for her physical health and her mental health. 

Looking on a TTU K12 (TTUISD) URL it shows a Course Drop Fee of $40.  I don't know how long one can drop after enrolling and get everything but $40 back.  I seem to recall reading something about one could drop within 30 days (?) but I don't remember the details and that was probably a few years ago. Not at all sure.

On another TTU K12 URL this is their description of the first semester of 11th grade English:

Description:

English 3 (3A) is a survey of American literature, with emphasis on 

clear expression and effective interpretation. Composition and grammar 

are included. View TEKS.

Required Textbook (Sold separately):

• Glencoe Literature: Texas Treasures—American Literature, Student Edition 

978-0-07-892781-2 

And this is for 12th grade, first semester English:

Description:

English 4 (4A) is a study of British literature from 450 to 1780. The 

fundamentals of grammar and composition are also emphasized. View TEKS.

Required Textbook (Sold separately):

Glencoe Literature: Texas Treasures—British Literature, Student Edition 

ISBN: 978-0-07-892782-9 

ETA:  I think we did switch, from one course to another course, after enrolling DD, when she was in Middle School. I think we had the wrong textbook or something for the course she dropped and they gave us a Full  credit at that time, if my memory is correct.  I can't remember the details...

Edited by Lanny

She is in first semester of the Honors Online version right now. She had AP English Language last year so this is much easier. The first module was on Beowulf and Macbeth. The second is on the US Preamble and Bill of rights (not sure why). Second semester starts with poetry and ends with satire and George Orwell. She is doing well and it is not taking too much time away from her AP classes. 

• Like 1

Thanks.  That sounds pretty accessible (and DD has already read Beowulf and Macbeth, so that might be an advantage for a first course).  I think you mentioned that your daughter preferred the online to the text version of the English classes. Do they read the full books and plays, or just excepts? Do they read hard copies of the literature with the web version?

I'm getting there, slowly!!

Do you usually get the materials shipped directly overseas by LS, or do you get them sent to a US address and forwarded? 
  • Like 1

They send the books, like Macbeth, at the beginning of the year. If there is a choice of novels like in World Literature one of the assignments is to choose and locate the book on your own before you need it. If you read the course syllabus right away and you see something about their being a choice somewhere in the year, then since you are overseas, you should see just what this is about and order the book on amazon right away or else plan on using a Kindle book or something. We use an APO address or find it locally through Amazon or bookshop. Other things are read online if they are short. I seem to remember some Russian short stories in the past. We just printed those out. Once there was a choice between reading On Writing Well ( I think that's the title) or some other writing book. Fortunately we had the book on hand already. 

Good luck with your decisions. You've already done more than a lot of people in choosing a program. Things are going smoothly for us right now, but I'm still looking forward to graduation. 

• Like 1