Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Dec. 2017

Granny_Weatherwax

Hooray!! I just got word from the dr that I can NOT have to cut out all gluten immediately. So I'll be enjoying Christmas cookies, at least for the next 4 weeks (when I have an endoscopy done). I'm apparently testing weak positive for celiac, so after that I may be saying good-bye to the regular eating and hello to a much different life-style. So ladies, forgive me if I thoroughly enjoy all kinds of holiday treats this year. I promise I won't post about it. ;)

Enjoy the treats!  I hope that all goes well with the endoscopy.

• Like 2

Yesterday, I ended up doing no exercise. I had intended to go to the gym, but sat down a bit for dinner to digest and got online. By the time I stood up to get ready and looked at the clock, I wouldn't have had enough time to do anything. Argh. 

So today or tomorrow, I need to hit the gym. I can still make my minimum cardio and strength-training goals if I do. 

Also, I am up 1.5 pounds from pre-Thanksgiving. I lost the Thanksgiving weight, but regained  from an increased intake of winter foods plus more sweets than usual. (I got a bunch of sweet teacher gifts on the last day of school and while I ate much less than I could have, there was still an uptick. )  I need to get that weight back down over the next few days because then comes a week of holiday meals with family. I often don't have dinner or much dinner and eating full dinners can increase the scale right on up there. (It's the second helpings of healthy foods that get me!) I have set a max gain of 3 pounds for the holidays. I want to start at 0 not +1.5. 

• Like 1

Also, I am up 1.5 pounds from pre-Thanksgiving. 

Is 1.5 pounds actually considered weight loss or gain? That just seems like a variation throughout the day. I'd be more worried if I was consistently weighing an extra 1.5 pounds every day over many days, than 1.5 pounds over a month. That's how my body works, anyway. Perhaps yours is very different. 

• Like 2

Is 1.5 pounds actually considered weight loss or gain? That just seems like a variation throughout the day. I'd be more worried if I was consistently weighing an extra 1.5 pounds every day over many days, than 1.5 pounds over a month. That's how my body works, anyway. Perhaps yours is very different. 

I have to keep an eagle eye on it. Once it starts to go up, it goes up quickly. It's been up for 2-3 days now, so for me, that's a real gain. I weigh first thing in the morning so there are not variances from what I've just eaten or drunk. 

• Like 2

I have to keep an eagle eye on it. Once it starts to go up, it goes up quickly. It's been up for 2-3 days now, so for me, that's a real gain. I weigh first thing in the morning so there are not variances from what I've just eaten or drunk. 

It's good to know one's own body. I'm 5'7" and my weight seems to vary 2 pounds easily over a day or 2, and then go back to my "baseline" weight. It will even jump up 5 pounds, then come right back down. Kind of weird, but I'm used to it now. Often it's water retention before my irregular period. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Laurie- I'm still up about 3 lbs myself. It went down a bit, then up when I started my cycle and back to 3lbs up. I'm trying to keep an eye on mine too because I was already at the point I didn't want to gain anymore.

I got signed up at the gym yesterday. My day changed a bit b/c ds was sick so he didn't do math class. I had promised the girls I'd take them shopping so I did and that was 4.5 hrs, so lots and lots of walking. Then I took them to the pool, I didn't swim but I had social time talking with adults so I'm considering it a win. 

I plan to go by the gym Monday to walk with a friend and maybe check out the fitness room if I get a chance. They don't have much there but it is good for winter b/c they have an indoor pool.

• Like 1

Just popping in to say that my son and I both passed our martial arts belt test last night!  Wooooo!

I took it pretty easy this week so that I could make sure I didn't aggravate my quad muscle problem and since it ended up being a week from hell anyways.  But starting today rest week is over and I'm back at it.

Love hearing everyone's updates!

• Like 4

Congratulations Ivy - such an accomplishment of hard work!

I moved heavy boxes for several hours yesterday so I'm counting that as exercise. My oldest DS is moving home for a few months before he starts a new program and we need to make space for him in our new (smaller) house. So everything in the storage room is going to a storage unit temporarily.

• Like 4

Gof in a 45 min walk with 18 min of jogging intervals embedded. I went to a local park that was formerly a farm with open fields and some wooded areas and where I can have a pretty flat run on the grass around a pond. Water makes me happy. :) 

Met my cardio goals and my strength training goals for the week.  

• Like 3

Congrats Ivy!

Wintermom- sorry to hear you are still recovering, sometimes we can bounce right back and sometimes it takes a while, it stinks :( 

I did more shopping yesterday, so lots more walking AND I did 17 min hip-hop dance video on YouTube. I had to dial it back to what I could do and dd3 kept telling me I was doing things wrong but I was moving and my heart rate got up. 

Today I plan to be home all day, the first day since Wednesday, I think it has been good for me to be busy. Tomorrow, ds has math class and I've already scheduled to meet a friend for walking, I'm trying to decide if I just want to do that or try to add in some strength work (they have some machines and a bit of free weights). I know I want to keep it simple. If I did the weights I was thinking maybe if I could do 2 days of full body workout. It needs to be stuff I can do on my own (my friend isn't a member there so she can't do that with me( the walking track is open to everybody).

Any suggestions for full body workout plans online? It has been awhile since I did weight work (except for a bit of kettlebell work) and I need something that requires little thought. I was thinking maybe squats and deadlifts. I'm really not sure on upper body because I have trouble with my right shoulder, so I need to take it easy.

• Like 3

Congrats Ivy!

Wintermom- sorry to hear you are still recovering, sometimes we can bounce right back and sometimes it takes a while, it stinks :(

I did more shopping yesterday, so lots more walking AND I did 17 min hip-hop dance video on YouTube. I had to dial it back to what I could do and dd3 kept telling me I was doing things wrong but I was moving and my heart rate got up. 

Today I plan to be home all day, the first day since Wednesday, I think it has been good for me to be busy. Tomorrow, ds has math class and I've already scheduled to meet a friend for walking, I'm trying to decide if I just want to do that or try to add in some strength work (they have some machines and a bit of free weights). I know I want to keep it simple. If I did the weights I was thinking maybe if I could do 2 days of full body workout. It needs to be stuff I can do on my own (my friend isn't a member there so she can't do that with me( the walking track is open to everybody).

Any suggestions for full body workout plans online? It has been awhile since I did weight work (except for a bit of kettlebell work) and I need something that requires little thought. I was thinking maybe squats and deadlifts. I'm really not sure on upper body because I have trouble with my right shoulder, so I need to take it easy.

Sounds like you are doing a great job of getting the exercise in! Yay!

Deadlifts and squats would be good for lower body. I have a shoulder issue, too. The only thing my physical therapist said to avoid was overhead lifts. I am just careful with everything else and if I feel a bit of a pull or a click, I stop or modify. I do push-ups (you could start with wall push-ups if you've been off upper body work) and gradually work your way down. I do incline rows because those are easier on the shoulders (You're lying facing downward on a bench that has a top half that you can set at an incline.) 

That covers the 4 big movements: front of leg, posterior chain, push, pull. 

• Like 2

I've been struggling with my sleep habits.I say habits because the issue is that I stay up to late, not that I can't get to sleep. I think I only got about 6 hours a night most of the week. I sometimes wake up too early but most often wake up around the same time each day. So it's definitely more of an issue of making better choices than an actual problem with sleep. 

But then there seems to be another part to it: 

Friday, our family went to see The Last Jedi at the 10:15 showing. I knew it was long, but somehow I thought we'd be home by 12:30 am. We got home at 1:30, and  my mind wasn't ready to go to sleep right away. I stayed up till around 3 then woke up at 8:45, so less than 6 hours. But then last night, I stayed up till like 1:30 before I could settle into sleeping. I'm experiencing it kind of like when I have eaten sweets (like around the holidays) it doesn't stop at the one time treat, but I tend to want more the next day. I am kind of wondering if sleep is like that for me. I had been getting to bed between 12-12:30, but then that one 3:00 time seemed to have thrown me into a later bedtime last night. 

Anyone else experience that? 

• Like 1

Trying to plan out this coming week 

Son & his wife get in from Germany for Christmas late Tues. night. We travel Wed to see my mother and will arrive at dinner time. Then travel back home the next day. (6-7 hour car ride.) 

M, T, F look like the weather will be decent, so I think I'll plan walking with jogging intervals on those days. I will really not want to leave to go to the gym for strength training (and day passes are expensive and I don't think they'll want to go anyway.) I will try to get to the gym either Mon or Tues before they come. Then I could always do a strength-training day at home. 

If you don't see me post strength training on Mon, please ask me when I'm planning to do it on Tues. It would be really easy to let it slip by as I will be trying to clean, grocery shop, etc. for overseas son's arrival. 

Eating will be an issue. I'm up 1.5 to 2 pounds already. My challenges will really be at dinner time. When I don't have my kids home I often eat a heavy late afternoon snack or even a dinner about 4-5ish, so I tend to be hungry then. When the kids aren't there, I often won't eat anything later than that. But one of the issues will be I will still get hungry at 4-5, so I will want to eat a heavy snack while I'm prepping dinner, then I'll  eat dinner on top of it.  :glare:

Also, sweets. 

I don't have a plan and that is not a good sign. Will have to work on that. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 2

Fairly lazy day yesterday but it was nice to have a lazy day after several busy ones in a row. I wrapped a bunch of presents and cooked a nice supper. I fell right to sleep and slept well. I've started progesterone again since I'm past ovulation, I'd like to test out cutting out the melatonin again but am nervous about it. Maybe in a few more days on the progesterone, I'll try it and see how it goes. I had planned to do school all through this week and taking off 2 wks but have decided we're going to just do the basics this week. We've started a bunch of new stuff as of late and I want to focus on folding those into our schedule. With ds doing math at 12 on Mondays we're going to have to tweak things a bit and with TKD on Tues & Thurs evening we're going to have to switch up cooking, we are done by 5:30 and supper time is traditionally 6:30, that puts us in a squeeze, especially with those nights being the ones my kid's cook as they aren't as fast. I'm not sure how I'm going to tweak that yet. I let them take turns picking easy meals to cook but after TKD they probably aren't going to feel like anything. I just don't know, I've got to brainstorm on that and think of staple meals that are easy and when to fit in pre-cooking.

Today- the plan is take in ds for math at 12 (leave at 11:30); meet friend to go walking - maybe have her check out my form with some exercises (not sure if we can get away with that since she isn't a member, but maybe) or I might just try to do some lifting Tues after I drop the kids off, I had thought maybe I could wrangle dh into going to the gym with me on Tues/Thurs but this week he is busy Thurs. UGH, again I'm going to have to brainstorm how to make it work the most efficiently, unfortunately the gym I signed up for is across town from where the kids do TKD, there is a gym right by the TKD but I'm not very fond of it and it doesn't have a pool.

Trying to plan out this coming week 

Son & his wife get in from Germany for Christmas late Tues. night. We travel Wed to see my mother and will arrive at dinner time. Then travel back home the next day. (6-7 hour car ride.) 

If you don't see me post strength training on Mon, please ask me when I'm planning to do it on Tues. It would be really easy to let it slip by as I will be trying to clean, grocery shop, etc. for overseas son's arrival. 

I don't have a plan and that is not a good sign. Will have to work on that. 

Aw, I bet you are so excited to see your son and his wife, how exciting.

Could you buy some protein bars as an easy snack during your usual eating time?

I will check in with you about weight training, you do the same for me!

I've been struggling with my sleep habits.I say habits because the issue is that I stay up to late, not that I can't get to sleep. I think I only got about 6 hours a night most of the week. I sometimes wake up too early but most often wake up around the same time each day. So it's definitely more of an issue of making better choices than an actual problem with sleep. 

But then there seems to be another part to it: 

Friday, our family went to see The Last Jedi at the 10:15 showing. I knew it was long, but somehow I thought we'd be home by 12:30 am. We got home at 1:30, and  my mind wasn't ready to go to sleep right away. I stayed up till around 3 then woke up at 8:45, so less than 6 hours. But then last night, I stayed up till like 1:30 before I could settle into sleeping. I'm experiencing it kind of like when I have eaten sweets (like around the holidays) it doesn't stop at the one time treat, but I tend to want more the next day. I am kind of wondering if sleep is like that for me. I had been getting to bed between 12-12:30, but then that one 3:00 time seemed to have thrown me into a later bedtime last night. 

Anyone else experience that? 

Yes, for sure on the sleep, it is why I'm such a stickler for not staying up late. I had about 2 years of wrecked sleep due to my thyroid, hormones, and pregnancy/fussy baby, I was so sleep deprived I felt ill, I never want to feel that way again! Your adrenals produce cortisol during the day, the highest amount in the morning when you wake up, at night your level of cortisol naturally bottoms out so you can sleep. If you stay up late you are disrupting that process, so ya, it takes a bit to get things lined out. They have a yearly lock-in for our Scout group and I refuse to take the girls because I know it will mess me up for days. We know our bodies can recover better when we are younger but it also has to do with your body, my ability to handle stress is greatly limited due to many factors. Also, we all have our own clock, so there is not some magic time that is bedtime for everyone. Remember how when your kids were little and if they stayed up too late they would get overtired and go all crazy? It is like that for us too, if you miss your window for bedtime you are messing with that window, so IMO I would be pushing your bedtime back trying to find that sweet spot. When do you start to feel tired? 

• Like 2

4 days without exercise for me. Things are not going well. :(

You can do it, scoutermom!

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m holding steady with a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. I think I last missed that goal about a month ago. After a recent uptick in depression and anxiety, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been dialing in my exercise (10,000 steps has no impact on my mental health). I have to exercise for at least 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week to keep my mental health under control (and use my light box and sleep enough but not too much). IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve got that goal for the last three weeks, and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m starting to feel better. It frustrates me that I can let my exercise slide for a quite a while before the reduction shows up in my mental health, but once it shows up, it hits so hard I can barely get out of bed. I wish it were more immediate feedback. :-)

Anyway, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m combining some of the 21 Day Fix Extreme workouts (3 days a week) with using C25K to increase my running speed (2ish days a week). 60 second intervals are HARD at a 10 minute mile pace (IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m a 13-14 minute mile runner. I can do distance - love the 10K, did one half - but not speed). IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m feeling quite a bit better already. Gotta keep the motivation.

I kept my weight steady through the last cross-country move and am proud of that. My eating has been on point for the last two months, so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m down another 10 pounds. Almost to pre-baby size (yep, heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s 4)! So, all-in-all, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m pleased with where I am right now. I just have to keep exercising so I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t give in to the depression again.

• Like 4

It's been a while since I checked in. I was doing pretty great with no sugar in November and then I had a four day period where I had something sweet each day and ended up feeling sad and lethargic. It was enough to help me see that sugar really isn't something that I should be eating. :( 

On the plus side, my keto eating has been great. I'm making fantastic food. I'm enjoying it. Between the fasting and the keto, I'm full a lot quicker and don't get hungry at all between meals. I've mostly been doing two 48 hour fasts each week and then doing 16:8 IF in between. This seems very manageable to me. I'm down ten pounds since November 13 and I feel fantastic. 

My plan is to go through the holidays without sugar. This is difficult, as sugar is seriously my favourite food. I could live off chocolate. Or gummies. Or whatever. But, I also recognize that it isn't doing me any good. It just makes me fat and sad and that's not worth it anymore. Plus, I'm not great at moderation. At all.

So, I'm going to make a lovely ketogenic cheesecake for Christmas Eve. Dd is making me a pumpkin pie for Christmas Day (she made one for Thanksgiving and it was fantastic). Her fiancee is making me keto bread for my Christmas present. I already have complaint shortbread walnut cookies in my fridge and some great gingerbread cookies as well. Funny, we made them four days ago and I've only had three cookies. That never would have happened before. 

Exercising is going well. I am training for a half-marathon in February. I ran 17km last week in Central Park (kind of by accident - I meant to do 12, but got lost running around looking for a bathroom!). I am still weight training at the gym twice a week. 

We have a lot of snow on the ground and my running group runs outdoors, so I'm trying to figure out a good solution for better traction - might turn an old pair of running shoes into screw shoes: http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm 

I really want to make it through the holidays strong - this is part of my battle against seasonal depression. 

• Like 4

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m holding steady with a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. I think I last missed that goal about a month ago. After a recent uptick in depression and anxiety, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve been dialing in my exercise (10,000 steps has no impact on my mental health). I have to exercise for at least 45 minutes a day, 5 days a week to keep my mental health under control (and use my light box and sleep enough but not too much). IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve got that goal for the last three weeks, and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m starting to feel better. It frustrates me that I can let my exercise slide for a quite a while before the reduction shows up in my mental health, but once it shows up, it hits so hard I can barely get out of bed. I wish it were more immediate feedback. :-)

Anyway, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m combining some of the 21 Day Fix Extreme workouts (3 days a week) with using C25K to increase my running speed (2ish days a week). 60 second intervals are HARD at a 10 minute mile pace (IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m a 13-14 minute mile runner. I can do distance - love the 10K, did one half - but not speed). IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m feeling quite a bit better already. Gotta keep the motivation.

I kept my weight steady through the last cross-country move and am proud of that. My eating has been on point for the last two months, so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m down another 10 pounds. Almost to pre-baby size (yep, heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s 4)! So, all-in-all, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m pleased with where I am right now. I just have to keep exercising so I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t give in to the depression again.

Sounds like really excellent, steady progress. You know how to climb back on the wagon if you fall off. That, I have come to believe, is the key to longterm success. We all fall off the wagon. It's getting back on over and over that keeps us rolling forward! 

• Like 1

I took my final exam today. So happy! I immediately went to the gym and ran a 5k. I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t been to the gym in a week so I decided to run even though itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s probably my least favorite fitness activity. I did some upper body weights too.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m so happy today! IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m officially on winter break and I took the final thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s been looming over my head for weeks. Merry Christmas everyone!

• Like 4

Checking in for accountability. I got in my cardio. Only got 21 min of jogging intervals in 38 min but couldn't really help it because an afternoon meeting ran late and I lost sunlight. 

Plan for strength training is to go to the gym the last hour they're open. I have some household stuff to do and if I go to the gym earlier, I know I'll be too zonked to do housework. 

ETA: Done. And zonked. 

Soror, did you get your strength training in yet?

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 2

Checking in for accountability. I got in my cardio. Only got 21 min of jogging intervals in 38 min but couldn't really help it because an afternoon meeting ran late and I lost sunlight. 

Plan for strength training is to go to the gym the last hour they're open. I have some household stuff to do and if I go to the gym earlier, I know I'll be too zonked to do housework. 

ETA: Done. And zonked. 

Soror, did you get your strength training in yet?

Good job! I have not trained yet. I did go walk with a friend, we did 30 min at a brisk pace. In the morning before I left (I was gone from 11:30 to 8pm) I got in a short walk outside and some stretching/yoga.  I'm aiming to do a bit of yoga in the morning just to wake up my body.

I got a good talk with my friend, general encouragement and visiting and specific encouragement with fitness. I told her how I feel embarassed at the fitness I've lost and the extra pounds I have. But she helped me see this is part of it, there are ebbs and flows, it just stinks to be in the valley. I've not had that low of a time in a good while. But the fall kicked my butt thanks to seasonal allergies and stress, I tried to go into it prepared and to cut it off but I still couldn't stop it. But you know I never gave up, whenever I felt well I moved however much I could(even if that was just 5 min) and I always strive to eat well.Today is a new day and I'm going to keep trying to get better and have faith and hope I can break out of this cycle. I've called on support from all around me.

She sent me 2 different work out plans. I looked at the work-out room with her,unfortunately, they do not have a separate bar and squat rack. They have machines, a smith machine, and curl bars. I really like the Stronglifts 5x5 plan but I'm not sure if I can do it exactly. I'm thinking about going to the gym by TKD but it is full of the hardcore lifters, she said it was pretty cheap for individuals when they run a special, I hadn't thought about just doing a membership for me but I'd be the only one going there (unless I make dh) so that is an option.

UGH, so now to get up my courage to step foot in the gym for the lifting, I'll be taking the kids in at 4:30 central today, so think of me then!

I took my final exam today. So happy! I immediately went to the gym and ran a 5k. I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t been to the gym in a week so I decided to run even though itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s probably my least favorite fitness activity. I did some upper body weights too.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m so happy today! IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m officially on winter break and I took the final thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s been looming over my head for weeks. Merry Christmas everyone!

I bet it felt great to run after finishing your tests

Kicken arse.  I upped my number of gym days to 4 (was doing 3).  And I treated myself to some new exercise clothes.  Woot!

Woot!

It's been a while since I checked in. I was doing pretty great with no sugar in November and then I had a four day period where I had something sweet each day and ended up feeling sad and lethargic. It was enough to help me see that sugar really isn't something that I should be eating. :(

On the plus side, my keto eating has been great. I'm making fantastic food. I'm enjoying it. Between the fasting and the keto, I'm full a lot quicker and don't get hungry at all between meals. I've mostly been doing two 48 hour fasts each week and then doing 16:8 IF in between. This seems very manageable to me. I'm down ten pounds since November 13 and I feel fantastic. 

My plan is to go through the holidays without sugar. This is difficult, as sugar is seriously my favourite food. I could live off chocolate. Or gummies. Or whatever. But, I also recognize that it isn't doing me any good. It just makes me fat and sad and that's not worth it anymore. Plus, I'm not great at moderation. At all.

So, I'm going to make a lovely ketogenic cheesecake for Christmas Eve. Dd is making me a pumpkin pie for Christmas Day (she made one for Thanksgiving and it was fantastic). Her fiancee is making me keto bread for my Christmas present. I already have complaint shortbread walnut cookies in my fridge and some great gingerbread cookies as well. Funny, we made them four days ago and I've only had three cookies. That never would have happened before. 

Exercising is going well. I am training for a half-marathon in February. I ran 17km last week in Central Park (kind of by accident - I meant to do 12, but got lost running around looking for a bathroom!). I am still weight training at the gym twice a week. 

We have a lot of snow on the ground and my running group runs outdoors, so I'm trying to figure out a good solution for better traction - might turn an old pair of running shoes into screw shoes: http://skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm 

I really want to make it through the holidays strong - this is part of my battle against seasonal depression. 

Kudos on the weight loss and the training. I need to be looking for some good recipes for treats for Christmas.

You can do it, scoutermom!

Good for you losing weight, admist the stress. It is comforting that many of us are exercising for mental health as well as physical.

4 days without exercise for me. Things are not going well. :(

That's alright. You've already got a great start, and it's a crazy time of year that can easily derail other activities.  You'll come back strong. 

I've only exercised 4 times in 4 weeks.  It's not a great season for many people, unfortunately.

• Like 2

Great job on the running!  I have a pair of running shoe ice grips that go on the bottom of the shoes kind of like Yaktrax Ice Cleats. It allows you to wear whatever runners you want. The footing is never perfect on ice and snow, so one's running gait is usually smaller and slower. All the best with your training and race!

• Like 1

I got a good talk with my friend, general encouragement and visiting and specific encouragement with fitness. I told her how I feel embarassed at the fitness I've lost and the extra pounds I have. But she helped me see this is part of it, there are ebbs and flows, it just stinks to be in the valley. I've not had that low of a time in a good while. But the fall kicked my butt thanks to seasonal allergies and stress, I tried to go into it prepared and to cut it off but I still couldn't stop it. But you know I never gave up, whenever I felt well I moved however much I could(even if that was just 5 min) and I always strive to eat well.Today is a new day and I'm going to keep trying to get better and have faith and hope I can break out of this cycle. I've called on support from all around me.

She sent me 2 different work out plans. I looked at the work-out room with her,unfortunately, they do not have a separate bar and squat rack. They have machines, a smith machine, and curl bars. I really like the Stronglifts 5x5 plan but I'm not sure if I can do it exactly. I'm thinking about going to the gym by TKD but it is full of the hardcore lifters, she said it was pretty cheap for individuals when they run a special, I hadn't thought about just doing a membership for me but I'd be the only one going there (unless I make dh) so that is an option.

UGH, so now to get up my courage to step foot in the gym for the lifting, I'll be taking the kids in at 4:30 central today, so think of me then!

Wow! Sounds like a very profitable time with your friend! I'm glad you came away realizing that you kept at it , even when it was very hard. That is a big step up from just giving up entirely and is the kind of tenacity that I think bodes well for long-term lifestyle change. And yes, it's a new day! I know I say this a lot, but I truly believe it: everyone falls off the wagon. It's getting back on repeatedly that makes for long term lifestyle change. 

The gym I belong to has the same equipment as the first gym you describe. You can do back squats and bench presses on a Smith machine, but it does limit your range of motion. Some feel that is a safety feature; some believe it is contraindicated. I don't have range of motion in my shoulders to do a back squat due to injury, so if I am at the gym, I squat with kettlebells in the rack position. (Can't do a lot of weight that way, but it's something.) I do deadlifts at home, which is better for me because even though they have a bar and I could load it up, there is not a good way to do that without bending and twisting with a heavy load and that sounds like a recipe for a back injury to me. At home, I leave it loaded and then only have to add a bit of new weight at a time. 

Right now, I've taken a break from free lifting just because I was starting to really dread it, so I am doing machines for a change of pace. They require so much less mental effort that I can get myself to do them without much trouble. 

Smith machines are great for push-ups if you can't do a full body one from the floor. Just move the bar down gradually! 

But I agree. In the long run, I prefer whole body motions. 

I think I would feel intimidated by a gym frequented by big lifters, too. Maybe your friend could go with you the first couple times? 

• Like 2

I've reworked my exercise plan due to a delayed international flight bringing ds and wife home for Christmas  :sad: (it's just 16 hours which isn't too bad for a delayed international flight. We've been off 3 days before)  

Anyway, today is one of the last nice days in the weather forecast and I think I can get one of my other sons home from college to go for a walk/ jog on a hiking trail. I don't like to jog 2 days in a row for joints' sake, but since a trail will force me to go more slowly and since it's ground, not blacktop, I think that will be okay. Glad I got the strength-training in yesterday. 

Wed--I will need to go to the gym in the morning and do strength-training, maybe cardio. 

Thur--travel day. I may also be able to get in some early morning something or other. The weather won't be rotten

Friday--travel back day. Will probably get home too late for anything outside, but could go to the gym for strength training. 

Sat--may be able to do some outside cardio in the morning. It's supposed to rain later on. 

I am not a morning exerciser so that will be a bit of a challenge. (Anytime from 3:00 pm -9:00 is my sweet spot. Maybe because sports practice in high school and college was at 3:00? But I tend toward night owl circadian rhythm so that may be it.) 

• Like 3

Woohoo! I did an intense kettlebell workout this AM. Two days in a row! That seems so little, but I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t been able to work out for more than once or twice a week for about two months. While on winter break from school, my goal is to get 6 workouts in a week. Seems like a lot when I look at it, but I did that for several months before my semester started.

• Like 5

One of my sons went with me on a nice run on a wooded trail along a river. I did about 15 min of really low-key jogging intervals. It was really lovely. We were there as the sun was setting through the silhohuettes of the bare trees. That part of winter I can enjoy--especially on a warmish day like today! 

Tomorrow, I may or may not have time to do some strength training. Let's hope I do!

• Like 3

I got in my strength workout! My evening totally changed when TKD was canceled. After some thought, I decided to go ahead and stay home and do my workout here (it is 30 min to the gym one way and I didn't want to spend a whole hour driving). I modified the StrongLift workout for what I had- I used the KB for goblet squats, my steps for incline push-ups (in lieu of bench press since I don't have a bench), and rows with hand weights. 5 sets x 5 reps, 90 seconds in between sets. My dh has told me he will go dancing tonight (we'll see if that happens).

One of my sons went with me on a nice run on a wooded trail along a river. I did about 15 min of really low-key jogging intervals. It was really lovely. We were there as the sun was setting through the silhohuettes of the bare trees. That part of winter I can enjoy--especially on a warmish day like today! 

Tomorrow, I may or may not have time to do some strength training. Let's hope I do!

Beautiful.

Woohoo! I did an intense kettlebell workout this AM. Two days in a row! That seems so little, but I havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t been able to work out for more than once or twice a week for about two months. While on winter break from school, my goal is to get 6 workouts in a week. Seems like a lot when I look at it, but I did that for several months before my semester started.

Good for you!

I've reworked my exercise plan due to a delayed international flight bringing ds and wife home for Christmas  :sad: (it's just 16 hours which isn't too bad for a delayed international flight. We've been off 3 days before)  

Anyway, today is one of the last nice days in the weather forecast and I think I can get one of my other sons home from college to go for a walk/ jog on a hiking trail. I don't like to jog 2 days in a row for joints' sake, but since a trail will force me to go more slowly and since it's ground, not blacktop, I think that will be okay. Glad I got the strength-training in yesterday. 

Wed--I will need to go to the gym in the morning and do strength-training, maybe cardio. 

Thur--travel day. I may also be able to get in some early morning something or other. The weather won't be rotten

Friday--travel back day. Will probably get home too late for anything outside, but could go to the gym for strength training. 

Sat--may be able to do some outside cardio in the morning. It's supposed to rain later on. 

I am not a morning exerciser so that will be a bit of a challenge. (Anytime from 3:00 pm -9:00 is my sweet spot. Maybe because sports practice in high school and college was at 3:00? But I tend toward night owl circadian rhythm so that may be it.) 

Sounds like a good plan, hope it works for you.

Wow! Sounds like a very profitable time with your friend! I'm glad you came away realizing that you kept at it , even when it was very hard. That is a big step up from just giving up entirely and is the kind of tenacity that I think bodes well for long-term lifestyle change. And yes, it's a new day! I know I say this a lot, but I truly believe it: everyone falls off the wagon. It's getting back on repeatedly that makes for long term lifestyle change. 

The gym I belong to has the same equipment as the first gym you describe. You can do back squats and bench presses on a Smith machine, but it does limit your range of motion. Some feel that is a safety feature; some believe it is contraindicated. I don't have range of motion in my shoulders to do a back squat due to injury, so if I am at the gym, I squat with kettlebells in the rack position. (Can't do a lot of weight that way, but it's something.) I do deadlifts at home, which is better for me because even though they have a bar and I could load it up, there is not a good way to do that without bending and twisting with a heavy load and that sounds like a recipe for a back injury to me. At home, I leave it loaded and then only have to add a bit of new weight at a time. 

Right now, I've taken a break from free lifting just because I was starting to really dread it, so I am doing machines for a change of pace. They require so much less mental effort that I can get myself to do them without much trouble. 

Smith machines are great for push-ups if you can't do a full body one from the floor. Just move the bar down gradually! 

But I agree. In the long run, I prefer whole body motions. 

I think I would feel intimidated by a gym frequented by big lifters, too. Maybe your friend could go with you the first couple times? 

You know sometimes you need a change of pace, no matter how great what your doing is, I'm glad the change has worked for you. 

I guess I was thinking I was immune to this dip, I tried to prepare but maybe the point was my body didn't need to push, it needed to rest.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

I have not exercised at all this week, sadly, due to a crazy schedule of things that MUST be done by Thursday. I have felt my anxiety kicking up today, which could totally be pushed back down by 45 minutes on the rowing machine. But so far, no time. It's a spiral, too, because I get somewhat paralyzed by the anxiety - don't feel like doing anything - do then I have more to do and thus less time to exercise.

Tonight I'm enlisting help from my family - DH is picking up dinner on his way home from work, and two of my boys are helping me with some of the jobs tonight. I'm hoping to squeeze at least 30 minutes of rowing in tomorrow morning.

Edited by PinkTulip
  • Like 4

I lifted yesterday, which was good. And I hope to lift twice more this week and run once. I've done worse on the eating side because I made my yearly batch of Oreo truffles. But now they're out of the house, and it was nice to have that little indulgence. I will probably eat a few more sweets through Christmas, and then really cut it back. 

Lifting isn't quite as much fun for me as running, but we have all the equipment here and I can do it while my kids are asleep in the morning. The tricky part is I need to watch more form videos because every now and then when I deadlift it feels like I tweak my back a bit. I also smashed my finger between weights on Monday, and that didn't give me warm, fuzzy feelings towards weight lifting.

• Like 4

I am back home from our vacation. So travel is over for a bit and I am glad to be home. I am feeling better, too. I didn't do anything special fitness-wise during travel, but we walked a lot and hiked a bit. I tried to watch what I was eating, but I think I still gained some weight. On the bright side, by the end of the trip I felt stronger and stopped having those moment when after doing simple things I felt like my heart was trying to jump out of my chest. I'll try to get back to my routine tomorrow.

• Like 3

We did it! We did the ballroom dancing and we didn't suck as bad as we feared, we might be teachable! Dh went somewhat grudgingly but really tried, he hates to fail at anything. So, fitness-wise it wasn't a huge workout (especially as we weren't moving that fast trying to learn the basic step) but it was +1 for couple time and socializing. There is no class next week but I hope dh will go with me again I think it would be good for us.

So, I decided I'm going to do the StrongLifts program- it is simple and has been around forever. I'm going to keep my ear out for deals on individual memberships on one of the gyms closer to my house (15 min away compared to 25) that has better free-weights. Evidently, the gyms do the best deals at Black Friday but surely they will have something coming up for the New Year. I know Planet Fitness is opening soon and it has a deal going but I don't know what they have yet and it is not as close to me.

Today I think I'm going to stay home and hopefully take a walk with the kids.

I have not exercised at all this week, sadly, due to a crazy schedule of things that MUST be done by Thursday. I have felt my anxiety kicking up today, which could totally be pushed back down by 45 minutes on the rowing machine. But so far, no time. It's a spiral, too, because I get somewhat paralyzed by the anxiety - don't feel like doing anything - do then I have more to do and thus less time to exercise.

Tonight I'm enlisting help from my family - DH is picking up dinner on his way home from work, and two of my boys are helping me with some of the jobs tonight. I'm hoping to squeeze at least 30 minutes of rowing in tomorrow morning.

Glad you are getting some help it is crazy this time of year.

Sorry, you are dealing with the spiral too :( I was in the abyss of it last week. But you've taken charge, made plans, and delegated, you can do it!

I lifted yesterday, which was good. And I hope to lift twice more this week and run once. I've done worse on the eating side because I made my yearly batch of Oreo truffles. But now they're out of the house, and it was nice to have that little indulgence. I will probably eat a few more sweets through Christmas, and then really cut it back. 

Lifting isn't quite as much fun for me as running, but we have all the equipment here and I can do it while my kids are asleep in the morning. The tricky part is I need to watch more form videos because every now and then when I deadlift it feels like I tweak my back a bit. I also smashed my finger between weights on Monday, and that didn't give me warm, fuzzy feelings towards weight lifting.

Ouch! I've been watching form videos too because it has been awhile for me. I'm going to try and catch my friend to lift with me too b/c she is a powerlifter and can critique my form if all else fails you can have a kid videotape you and watch it back. It is ok to indulge some now and again and tis the season.

I am back home from our vacation. So travel is over for a bit and I am glad to be home. I am feeling better, too. I didn't do anything special fitness-wise during travel, but we walked a lot and hiked a bit. I tried to watch what I was eating, but I think I still gained some weight. On the bright side, by the end of the trip I felt stronger and stopped having those moment when after doing simple things I felt like my heart was trying to jump out of my chest. I'll try to get back to my routine tomorrow.

Welcome back! Sounds like your body needed the rest, I'm glad your feeling better.

• Like 1

If you were going to start on weights for your arms and wanted to start with just ONE thing, what would it be? I prefer it be a machine.

Just one? While most would probably say bicep curl, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m a huge proponent of balancing the strength training. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve seen way too many women struggling with muscle imbalance leading to injury. Bicep curl, triceps, deltoid raises.

• Like 2

Just one? While most would probably say bicep curl, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m a huge proponent of balancing the strength training. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve seen way too many women struggling with muscle imbalance leading to injury. Bicep curl, triceps, deltoid raises.

:iagree:    Not just women, but everyone with large muscle imbalances are going to face injuries. There should also be a balance of right and left side of the body.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

If you were going to start on weights for your arms and wanted to start with just ONE thing, what would it be?  I prefer it be a machine. 

I would do a balance, too. I'd also do free weights for these, as then you'll also be working many other parts of your body as you're standing with good posture. The machines really isolate movements. 

• Like 1

I had a minor moment of panic when my chest felt tight last night.  Then I remembered that I had to quickly shovel a mass of snow at the end of the driveway in the morning. That exertion would definitely have made some of my wimpy muscles sore.  :laugh:

I can't wait until I'm healthy again and can re-build my strength and fitness. 

• Like 1

If you were going to start on weights for your arms and wanted to start with just ONE thing, what would it be?  I prefer it be a machine. 

I would do a balance, too. I'd also do free weights for these, as then you'll also be working many other parts of your body. The machines really isolate movements.

Sorry, Sparkly. It's at least 2 or none. You can cause injury by not exercising opposing muscles. That happened with my knee joint. I was able to correct it when the doctor told me my quads were too strong and I needed to pay attention to posterior chain and sides of thighs too. 

Are you already doing upper body exercises? If not, add a push and a pull. (Sorry ! Always two! ) If you are already doing a push and a pull, you are most likely already working your arms, even on a machine. As Wintermom says, the machines tend to isolate muscles more but you can't do a chest press without your triceps. Check on the machine because they usually have the muscles highlighted used. 

If you are already doing upper body, you will be working your arms. Push-ups are going to work your chest, but there is a lot of work for your triceps and deltoids, too,  for instance. Pulls will tend to work the biceps more. I have a handy book which I can't find right now that highlights which muscles are used. I know it has machines as well as bodyweight and free weights. When I find it, I'll come back and post. 

I think  you make progress faster by doing "Upper body" rather than "arms," just as "lower body" rather than "calves." The big movements work everything.  

• Like 2

Argh. I hit my 3 lb. holiday limit this morning when I weighed. 

Last night, when I came home from my trail walk/jog with my son, there was a gift of peanut brittle sitting right on the kitchen table in plain view. Three pieces later, I put them out of sight, but knew I had to get the taste out of my mouth, so I had 2 pieces of bread with olive oil and seasoning. :001_rolleyes: It did work to get the peanut brittle taste out of my mouth!  I had bought stuff for pasta with meat sauce, which I made. I ate about 1 1/2 servings. I have to really watch carbs at night and I didn't. While I would normally expect some of that to fall off my tomorrow, tonight's menu is pot roast, mashed potatoes, and veges, maybe pumpkin custard and cranberry sauce because DS and his wife are home from their home in Germany for Christmas and that's his favorite meal. I like it too.  :huh:  

The best thing I can do for myself is to serve it as early as possible, like around 5:00, so that will be my plan. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

Laurie- My 3 lbs from Thanksgiving are trying to find friends, sigh! I'm not eating horribly but I could do better, my appetite is up a bit. I've been working on simplifying my meals- picking just 2-3 meals for breakfast and lunch that I know I like that are healthy(by my standards) and just rotating through them so food is on auto-pilot. I'm trying to get it under control b/c I'm right at the threshold of the tens turning over, which is rather traumatic. 

I feel breakfast is the lowest in carbs, lunch the most, and supper with some complex carb like sweet pot/pot/beans.

Sparkly- I agree with the ladies I wouldn't do just one and would keep to compound movements. It has been a while since I used machines so I'm not claiming expert status but maybe a lat pull down and chest press, to get that push and pull. It won't take 10 minutes to do both of those, you can just do 3 sets.

• Like 1

Sparkly- I agree with the ladies I wouldn't do just one and would keep to compound movements. It has been a while since I used machines so I'm not claiming expert status but maybe a lat pull down and chest press, to get that push and pull. It won't take 10 minutes to do both of those, you can just do 3 sets.

Those are exactly the ones I'm doing on machines during my break from free weights/body weight. 

• Like 1

I would do a balance, too. I'd also do free weights for these, as then you'll also be working many other parts of your body as you're standing with good posture. The machines really isolate movements. 

Yeah I just cannot.  I mean really it's something small or nothing at all.  I feel like I'm working my legs well on inclines on the treadmill, but I do zero for my arms.  So I just want to start with something.

• Like 1