Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Dec. 2017

Granny_Weatherwax

Good morning~

I awoke this morning to an excited 6yo anticipating the holiday treat behind the first flap of her advent calendar. It's just a simple store bought calendar with chocolates in a variety of shapes hidden behind flaps placed randomly within a Christmas scene but what joy it brings to a young child. It's a little bit of mystery and excitement to look forward to each day.

It's that joy and mystery that I am looking forward to this month. For me, however, it will be in discovering the hidden gems within me. I'm looking forward to see what my body can do. Each day I'm going to push for a new fitness goal, a new diet goal, and a new mental health goal. Some will be simple, others will be more challenging.

Today's goals: 75 oz water, 5K on the treadmill, 30 mins hitting tennis balls against the backboard, food journaling, acknowledging the moments I feel down and finding a way to move through it, creating a December Bullet Journal page to help keep track of it all

I know this will be a tough 31 days but I am going to do my best to become a better me.

-----

What are your plans or goals for December?

• Like 7

Sigh--- stupid connection I keep losing my post---

Goals:

Move more- 3x WK (Nat. Move, Mindful Strength, Bodyweight Moves etc.) Look for ways to add movement to every day life

Sleep- 7+ Hrs- I'm tweaking various things trying to solve my recent sleep issues

Physically feeling better, emotionally meh. I don't know what to do about that. 

Real foods, yada yada, I've started meal planning again now that life has calmed down a bit. 

Reading-finish at least 1 book this month--

• Like 3

My goals for today:

Eat the meals IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve planned. No Ă¢â‚¬Å“cheatingĂ¢â‚¬ with less healthy snacks. My plan involves leftovers so very little prep/effort.

Take vitamins.

Drink 48oz of water. (Not enough, I know, but better than I usually do.)

Practice karate and do push-ups, crunches, and burpees after the kids go to bed. Stretch.

• Like 5

I went to the Y and did my 5k on the treadmill. It was an easy walk 3.8mph and I read a book while walking. I then went and hit tennis balls in the racquet ball court for 45 mins. This was wonderful. I had my portable speaker and connected it to Amazon pop radio and just hit. It felt wonderful to listen to peppy music and work on footwork. Racquet ball courts aren't great for working on tennis swings as there isn't a lot of room to get a full swing but it's perfect for moving the feet and returning fast balls. I feel good.

Now comes the tricky part: food. Lunch will be turkey and wild rice soup. I made it after Thanksgiving and froze it in individual servings. I am saving my chai for work this afternoon.

• Like 4

December is a difficult month to plan for. Next week we are leaving to Portland, for which I am so not ready. I don't think there will be any working out there, except for the competition and hopefully some walking around, weather-permitting. Then we planned to go for a short vacation, but as of today it is under a big question due to DH's work. Also, we have DH's brother coming for a few weeks, and I don't know yet how it will affect our schedules. Plus, of course, holidays, when we usually have visits with friends accompanied by not too healthy food in unreasonable quantities.

So, taking all this into account, I plan to keep the routine that I kind of started to establish as much as possible, and do some planning for January. I need to come up with a better core and abs workout, as right now I am just pulling together whatever exercises come to mind at the moment. I want to establish something where I can see some progress. Also, I am kicking around an idea about starting a blog about how far can I take myself in fencing given my disadvantages (age and height, mostly). I am not sure I can commit to this though.

For today I plan to do 20 minutes on the bike and open fencing in the evening. May add the arms, too.

• Like 5

OlgaLA~ I can see how it will be difficult with travel plans and holiday guests and such this month.  Acknowledging the difficulties and having at least a rudimentary plan are the first steps toward success.

I have a pretty light month - no family to host, no travel (except to go get DS from college), no parties. With everyone's odd schedules this year, an upcoming move for DD and DGD, and saving for a wedding we are being intentional with expenses and how our time is spent (esp. with me fighting depression).

• Like 3

Goals for December: 

Limit weight gain to 3 lbs. (Hopefully gain none. But.) 

7-8 hours sleep per night. Go to bed by 11:30 to accomplish that. 

Eating: Pre-plan for holiday gatherings/visits with food-pushing family. 

Cardio: minimum of 150 min/wk but ideal week would be 240+ min with 75 or more vigorous minutes. This will eventually involve going to the gym when it gets cold. 

Strength: Minimum of 2 workouts each per week for upper, lower, core. Minimum workout is 2 sets. Ideal : 3 workouts a week of 3 sets. 

Flexibility: 5 x/wk. 

Today: I had to work up to 45 min before dark.  Can I just say, I HATE THE EARLY DARK! Thanks. Anyway, I drove to a local park where there is a large grassy area where I could run because I wanted to put some sprints into my routine, partly because my time was limited. I got there with 22 min before it closed. 

Got in 7 1/2 min of jogging intervals and did four 30 sec sprints. Came home and walked for another 8 min to round it out to 30 min. 

So far, I've gotten 110 total cardio with about 50 min vigorous. Should make my goal tomorrow for the week. Have 2 upper body strength logged, and 1 lower. No core. So if I do core today and tomorrow and do a full body workout tomorrow, I should make that goal. If I do flex tonight and tomorrow, I'll get in 3 for the week. 

• Like 3

I just can't win lately. My USTA team has a match tomorrow and my opponent (#2 singles) forfeited the match so no tennis for me tomorrow. I was looking forward to some court therapy. I'm trying to be positive about it but I am seriously disappointed.

:grouphug: Sorry about that. I hope another opportunity comes soon!

• Like 2

I planned to exercise yesterday before I had to leave but I ended up having a HUGE fight with my Mom and was almost late. It really, really sucked. I'm just tired of it.

I did do my minimum exercises in the evening, not much but that's something.

I took 1 mg of melatonin last night since I was up again the night before (I'd done half for 2 nights in a row). Slept 7.5 hrs. Today I'm teaching a Boy Scout class, I'll be done between 1-4, after that I've got to drive out to pick up the girls, cook supper, and go to church. I'm going to be wore out.

Goals for December: 

Limit weight gain to 3 lbs. (Hopefully gain none. But.) 

7-8 hours sleep per night. Go to bed by 11:30 to accomplish that. 

Eating: Pre-plan for holiday gatherings/visits with food-pushing family. 

Cardio: minimum of 150 min/wk but ideal week would be 240+ min with 75 or more vigorous minutes. This will eventually involve going to the gym when it gets cold. 

Strength: Minimum of 2 workouts each per week for upper, lower, core. Minimum workout is 2 sets. Ideal : 3 workouts a week of 3 sets. 

Flexibility: 5 x/wk. 

Today: I had to work up to 45 min before dark.  Can I just say, I HATE THE EARLY DARK! Thanks. Anyway, I drove to a local park where there is a large grassy area where I could run because I wanted to put some sprints into my routine, partly because my time was limited. I got there with 22 min before it closed. 

Got in 7 1/2 min of jogging intervals and did four 30 sec sprints. Came home and walked for another 8 min to round it out to 30 min. 

So far, I've gotten 110 total cardio with about 50 min vigorous. Should make my goal tomorrow for the week. Have 2 upper body strength logged, and 1 lower. No core. So if I do core today and tomorrow and do a full body workout tomorrow, I should make that goal. If I do flex tonight and tomorrow, I'll get in 3 for the week. 

On the plus side we are 3 weeks out fromt he longest night of the year, days will be getting longer soon.

December is a difficult month to plan for. Next week we are leaving to Portland, for which I am so not ready. I don't think there will be any working out there, except for the competition and hopefully some walking around, weather-permitting. Then we planned to go for a short vacation, but as of today it is under a big question due to DH's work. Also, we have DH's brother coming for a few weeks, and I don't know yet how it will affect our schedules. Plus, of course, holidays, when we usually have visits with friends accompanied by not too healthy food in unreasonable quantities.

So, taking all this into account, I plan to keep the routine that I kind of started to establish as much as possible, and do some planning for January. I need to come up with a better core and abs workout, as right now I am just pulling together whatever exercises come to mind at the moment. I want to establish something where I can see some progress. Also, I am kicking around an idea about starting a blog about how far can I take myself in fencing given my disadvantages (age and height, mostly). I am not sure I can commit to this though.

For today I plan to do 20 minutes on the bike and open fencing in the evening. May add the arms, too.

Vacation sounds great. Maybe you can start with a personal journal first ?

I went to the Y and did my 5k on the treadmill. It was an easy walk 3.8mph and I read a book while walking. I then went and hit tennis balls in the racquet ball court for 45 mins. This was wonderful. I had my portable speaker and connected it to Amazon pop radio and just hit. It felt wonderful to listen to peppy music and work on footwork. Racquet ball courts aren't great for working on tennis swings as there isn't a lot of room to get a full swing but it's perfect for moving the feet and returning fast balls. I feel good.

Now comes the tricky part: food. Lunch will be turkey and wild rice soup. I made it after Thanksgiving and froze it in individual servings. I am saving my chai for work this afternoon.

Glad you got out, I hope the Y works well for you this winter, sorry you didn't get to do your match.

Edited by soror
  • Like 3

I'm finally able to exercise again after being sick for a few days. I feels so good to have the energy and wellness to be physically active again!  I've been getting back into the exercise routine very gently by walking. I play tennis this evening with the competitive league. I'm subbing for another team. I hope I haven't lost too much fitness in the last week.   :o

• Like 2

I just can't win lately. My USTA team has a match tomorrow and my opponent (#2 singles) forfeited the match so no tennis for me tomorrow. I was looking forward to some court therapy. I'm trying to be positive about it but I am seriously disappointed.

That is so disappointing. Is there any way you can find a friend and simply play a fun game on the court even though you can't play the match? 

Yesterday I did 30 minute arm workout, 20 minutes on the bike (I think I'll stop there for a while as I was pretty dead after the last interval), and then 2 hours of fencing in the evening. I barely managed to crawl out of bed this morning. Not that anything hurts, just the whole body feeling tired. The weekend is going to be mostly rest. 

• Like 3

On the plus side we are 3 weeks out from t he longest night of the year, days will be getting longer soon.

Yes! And for those of us who are really affected by the earlier sunset, I discovered last year that sunset time starts to get later even before the days get longer. Google a chart of sunset times for your area to see if it holds for you.

For me it will be getting shorter by a few seconds until Tuesday. On Wednesday, sunset starts getting later by a couple seconds then picks up speed from there.Not that a couple seconds matters a great deal in reality. But mentally, it makes a difference to me. :blush: By the end of the month, sunset will be 10 min later than it is now.  

• Like 3

Hi Everyone!   :seeya:   I'm sorry I haven't been around lately.  The truth is I've been feeling pretty blah about all of the diet and exercise stuff.  I haven't given up.  I'm still chugging along.  But some new challenges have come up that are sucking the joy right out of it, so I don't think I would have anything of value to contribute to the thread right now.  Right now I'm set on "survive" rather than "thrive" and that's just the way it's going to be for awhile.  But I really hope that you are all doing well, reaching new milestones, accomplishing your goals!   :thumbup:  That's all - I just wanted to check in and say hi and that you have all been in my thoughts even though I haven't been here to say so.  :grouphug:

• Like 4

I'm still here - I don't think I even got to the November page. 

I am still trucking along with my weight loss, although my exercise was curtailed by knee pain (I think the lunges got me) and some plantar fascitis (spelling?). Anyway, I've pretty much dropped the exercise part until I am under 200 pounds so it'll be easier on my poor painful body. It looks like I'll hit that goal around the start of January. 

I had some screwy eating days during November and I was still losing weight (yay!) but I found it to be harder to control my hunger and cravings (Boo!). So my goal for December is to watch it closer: not let the treats creep in, eat at somewhat a set time, and focus on more protein/less carbs.  We are traveling to my mom's this Christmas, and she told me that I can go to the grocery store and buy whatever food I want and she won't make me cook for everyone if it makes me want bad food. I may take her up on that because if I could just focus on me, I feel like I could get back on track. 

Some non-scale victories I had this past month: I can see my toes again without sucking my tummy in or bending forward. Also, I could get my wedding ring (my fat one that I bought after my first one stopped fitting) back on. 

• Like 5

I got in my walk/jog but not my strength training. So I made my cardio goals for the week but not my strength training ones. I miscalculated the time I would have but it wasn't that I was putting it off---I just let the day get ahead of me. I did get some Christmas decorating done and saw "Coco" with my family. Great movie! 

• Like 3

Hi Everyone!   :seeya:   I'm sorry I haven't been around lately.  The truth is I've been feeling pretty blah about all of the diet and exercise stuff.  I haven't given up.  I'm still chugging along.  But some new challenges have come up that are sucking the joy right out of it, so I don't think I would have anything of value to contribute to the thread right now.  Right now I'm set on "survive" rather than "thrive" and that's just the way it's going to be for awhile.  But I really hope that you are all doing well, reaching new milestones, accomplishing your goals!   :thumbup:  That's all - I just wanted to check in and say hi and that you have all been in my thoughts even though I haven't been here to say so.   :grouphug:

I've been thinking about you.  So glad that you checked in!  I vote that hearing from you is "something of value!" ;)

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 5

Today was a good day for me. I didn't do any formal exercise but I did spend 8 hours cleaning out my garage. We moved about 6-ish weeks ago and put everything we didn't want to deal with into the garage. This morning I took literally everything out and put it on the driveway, swept the whole thing out, put together two storage racks, and then methodically put stuff back in, but in an organized way. I sent my DS on two runs to donate a ton of stuff, and had DH and another DS hang peg board where I organized hanging all the tools, shovels, rakes, etc.

Tonight I have two cars parked in there, just in time for the snow that is supposed to hit tomorrow night. Yay - it's a great feeling!

Goals for December: hit at least 10,000 steps or 30 minutes of exercise 6 days / week. Hopefully that will result in 5-ish pounds lost, but because it's December, I'll be happy to just maintain where I am now and not gain anything.

Edited by PinkTulip
  • Like 5

Busy day as expected, teaching was really fun, I ended up there all day (until after 3).I didn't have any time until 7:30 at which point I ate supper and fell asleep on the couch, dh made me go to bed at 9! Slept all night last night (until 4:30 this morning). Weather is supposed to be gorgeous so I really hope to get some work done around here outside.

Yes! And for those of us who are really affected by the earlier sunset, I discovered last year that sunset time starts to get later even before the days get longer. Google a chart of sunset times for your area to see if it holds for you.

For me it will be getting shorter by a few seconds until Tuesday. On Wednesday, sunset starts getting later by a couple seconds then picks up speed from there.Not that a couple seconds matters a great deal in reality. But mentally, it makes a difference to me. :blush: By the end of the month, sunset will be 10 min later than it is now.  

Ya! No I hadn't noticed that, that's fabulous.

Hi Everyone!   :seeya:   I'm sorry I haven't been around lately.  The truth is I've been feeling pretty blah about all of the diet and exercise stuff.  I haven't given up.  I'm still chugging along.  But some new challenges have come up that are sucking the joy right out of it, so I don't think I would have anything of value to contribute to the thread right now.  Right now I'm set on "survive" rather than "thrive" and that's just the way it's going to be for awhile.  But I really hope that you are all doing well, reaching new milestones, accomplishing your goals!   :thumbup:  That's all - I just wanted to check in and say hi and that you have all been in my thoughts even though I haven't been here to say so.   :grouphug:

Sorry you are feeling blah but thinks for stopping in, we all have those times (you know I'm still working my way out of a hole here) so it is good to be honest about it.

Tennis went really well tonight. My fitness level was fine, and I was even playing quite consistent. I should be able to get back to running and weights tomorrow! 

Ya!

I'm still here - I don't think I even got to the November page. 

I am still trucking along with my weight loss, although my exercise was curtailed by knee pain (I think the lunges got me) and some plantar fascitis (spelling?). Anyway, I've pretty much dropped the exercise part until I am under 200 pounds so it'll be easier on my poor painful body. It looks like I'll hit that goal around the start of January. 

I had some screwy eating days during November and I was still losing weight (yay!) but I found it to be harder to control my hunger and cravings (Boo!). So my goal for December is to watch it closer: not let the treats creep in, eat at somewhat a set time, and focus on more protein/less carbs.  We are traveling to my mom's this Christmas, and she told me that I can go to the grocery store and buy whatever food I want and she won't make me cook for everyone if it makes me want bad food. I may take her up on that because if I could just focus on me, I feel like I could get back on track. 

Some non-scale victories I had this past month: I can see my toes again without sucking my tummy in or bending forward. Also, I could get my wedding ring (my fat one that I bought after my first one stopped fitting) back on. 

Ya for seeing your toes and fitting rings, if you lost weight at all in Dec. kudos, be gentle on yourself.

I got in my walk/jog but not my strength training. So I made my cardio goals for the week but not my strength training ones. I miscalculated the time I would have but it wasn't that I was putting it off---I just let the day get ahead of me. I did get some Christmas decorating done and saw "Coco" with my family. Great movie! 

Oh, I want to see that movie.

Today was a good day for me. I didn't do any formal exercise but I did spend 8 hours cleaning out my garage. We moved about 6-ish weeks ago and put everything we didn't want to deal with into the garage. This morning I took literally everything out and put it on the driveway, swept the whole thing out, put together two storage racks, and then methodically put stuff back in, but in an organized way. I sent my DS on two runs to donate a ton of stuff, and had DH and another DS hang peg board where I organized hanging all the tools, shovels, rakes, etc.

Tonight I have two cars parked in there, just in time for the snow that is supposed to hit tomorrow night. Yay - it's a great feeling!

Goals for December: hit at least 10,000 steps or 30 minutes of exercise 6 days / week. Hopefully that will result in 5-ish pounds lost, but because it's December, I'll be happy to just maintain where I am now and not gain anything.

Good job, that is a big job, shoveling the snow will be even bigger though!

• Like 3

Greta- that's why we're here. For those survive times, too. I have tried to be open about my experiences with depression and it's kicking my butt at the moment. I've gained back the 10 pounds I had lost and there are days (in a row) when walking from the car to my office is the only exercise I get. 

I'm taking it one day at a time. Some times it's one meal at a time. The struggle is real.

Please, let us support you if and how we can.

• Like 4

Yesterday was meh. I hit tennis balls against the wall for an hour and left it all on the court. My hand was swollen and red and I developed a blister from hitting so hard. It was cathartic, though, and I felt better when I was finished.

Today's plan: taking my dog for a long walk, getting in my water, and making a homemade dinner. I don't think I've cooked since Thanksgiving.

• Like 4

FridayĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s eating and exercise goals were partially accomplished. I just didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think through that I would be babysitting my 2yo and 3yo nephews while also teaching piano lessons and how exhausting that would be. I also didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t predict that my students would bring me sugar cookies, cracker candy, and truffles. I let that derail me a little.

Today was packed with activity. I left my house at 9:30am and didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t get home until almost 11pm. No exercise but I ate pretty well. We went to a party tonight and I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t eat any dessert. I drank a decent amount of water. I forgot to bring my water bottle but I tried to drink several small cups of water everywhere we went.

Tomorrow we get back into school (we took a break to get our house ready to sell). IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m going to still try to make time to exercise and prepare healthy meals.

• Like 5

I took it easy yesterday after a busy day the day before and too much emotional stress this weekend. I did a few exercises, cleaned house, 4! math lessons with ds. 

My food was meh this weekend they served pizza at the Scout event so I had a few slices of GF pizza, they are small and thin and I could have ate way more but I was running out of time and ds came and snagged it. Last night ds made this smoked sausage potato balls, he took 2+ hrs cooking so I had some, not my thing but they weren't bad (I don't care for smoked sausage). Oh, and I had a couple of gf pancakes for a snack (no syrup though). I'm cooking today!!! Surprisingly to me, considering my food indiscretions this weekend, my weight is down 1/2 lb from the post-Thanksgiving rise. 

I feel like I've got sinus stuff going on or am trying to catch a cold (hopefully it is the former). Plan to do a few movements today, it will be semi-busy I'll school in the am and take ds to do Math & hang out with friends, home to cook supper, in for Scouts, and home for bed. I'm sure I'm going to grow tired of the driving but he is dying for more to do. Fingers crossed it works for us.

I took the dog hiking (3 miles) and hit tennis balls against the backboard for an hour. It was 60 degrees today and I was able to be on the outdoor backboard.

I did not get in my water yet nor did I cook dinner. I had cereal and cuties. The dinner of champions.

It's been warm here too and pfft, cuties are good, and cereal every now and then sounds unresistable to me (usually coordinating to the sTArt of my cycle)!

FridayĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s eating and exercise goals were partially accomplished. I just didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t think through that I would be babysitting my 2yo and 3yo nephews while also teaching piano lessons and how exhausting that would be. I also didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t predict that my students would bring me sugar cookies, cracker candy, and truffles. I let that derail me a little.

Today was packed with activity. I left my house at 9:30am and didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t get home until almost 11pm. No exercise but I ate pretty well. We went to a party tonight and I didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t eat any dessert. I drank a decent amount of water. I forgot to bring my water bottle but I tried to drink several small cups of water everywhere we went.

Tomorrow we get back into school (we took a break to get our house ready to sell). IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m going to still try to make time to exercise and prepare healthy meals.

Wow, that does not sound like fun, 2 & 3yo's are hard enough without anything else going on. Good luck starting back, remember it always takes a bit to get back in the groove.

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m going to chime in on this thread. Last week was really good for fitness and health. I met my goal of lifting twice last week and running twice last week. I also did some yoga. My main victory was buying an ear warmer and warmer gloves so that I can run in colder weather.

I have the same goals for this week. I'm also going to focus on drinking more water. I didn't get exercise in this morning due to waking up with a headache, but I'll do some yoga or lifting tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m going to chime in on this thread. Last week was really good for fitness and health. I met my goal of lifting twice last week and running twice last week. I also did some yoga. My main victory was buying an ear warmer and warmer gloves so that I can run in colder weather.

I have the same goals for this week. I'm also going to focus on drinking more water. I didn't get exercise in this morning due to waking up with a headache, but I'll do some yoga or lifting tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome, duckabell. Having the correct gear for cold weather activities is key to participating in those activities. Go you!

• Like 2

It's the beginning of the work week. I think one of the mistakes I made with my new job was assuming that working in athletics meant having time to be active at work. Um, not so much during the off season; it's all about desk work. I have to make a point to get moving and keep moving.

Today's goals (besides finally cleaning the popup camper and hanging Christmas wreaths) is walking a 5K and doing some weight work. I don't know what type yet but it's a goal. It's going to be in the 60s again and I am looking forward to being outside this afternoon.

• Like 4

I've been thinking about you.  So glad that you checked in!  I vote that hearing from you is "something of value!" ;)

What a kind thing to say!   :001_smile:  Thank you for making me smile!

Sorry you are feeling blah but thinks for stopping in, we all have those times (you know I'm still working my way out of a hole here) so it is good to be honest about it.

I've been wondering about your thyroid and how you were feeling.  My mom did get officially diagnosed with Hashimoto's and she found a doctor who said "normal" TSH levels are not good enough, and who wants to see her numbers improve.  So he increased her medication and ordered some additional testing.  I'm glad that she's in better hands.  How have you been?

Greta- that's why we're here. For those survive times, too. I have tried to be open about my experiences with depression and it's kicking my butt at the moment. I've gained back the 10 pounds I had lost and there are days (in a row) when walking from the car to my office is the only exercise I get. 

I'm taking it one day at a time. Some times it's one meal at a time. The struggle is real.

Please, let us support you if and how we can.

Scoutermom, this really meant a lot to me.  Thank you.  I feel kind of bad whining about it, because I know that you and others here are struggling with far worse than what I'm dealing with.  I am so sorry that you've been going through a rough time lately, and I really hope things will turn around for you.  Depression has hit my family, though not me personally, rather hard.  It is an awful, awful disease and I hate it.  You don't deserve it, and I am very sorry that you have to deal with it.

My problem is the same one I've whined about before:  the migraines.  But two new associated problems.  First, now my favorite form of exercise has been taken away from me.  I can't run anymore without a BAD migraine getting triggered.  So instead, I'm stuck at the gym doing milder cardio.  The boring, over-crowded gym where the manager insists on setting the thermostat to "inferno"!   :cursing:  I guess I need to change gyms.  I've been hesitant because this one is by far the best value in town.

The second problem.  I switched to a vegan diet initially for health reasons, and I feel committed to it not only for that but also for ethical and spiritual reasons now as well.  And at first it was fantastic and I loved it and I actually found it astonishingly satisfying.  And then I learned about tyramine triggering migraines.  Honestly, this is so well known, I'm not sure how this fact had escaped my attention for all these years.  And I can't believe my neurologist never bothered to mention it!  But I digress.  Anyway, tyramine is an amino acid that triggers migraines, and it is in MANY foods.  So many foods that now my diet is so restrictive that it is very difficult for me to come up with satisfying meals.  So now, not only are all animal foods off the menu, but I also cannot eat:  nuts of any kind, avocados, olives, tofu, tempeh, citrus fruits, vinegar or anything that's been pickled, anything that's been fermented such as chutney or kimchi or sourdough bread, soy sauce, miso, chocolate, coffee, tea, figs, raisins, bananas, plums, cherries, cranberries, raspberries, eggplant, snow peas, broccoli, beets, spinach, asparagus, fava beans, navy beans, or homemade bread, and I can only eat tomatoes, onions, green beans, and commercial breads in very small amounts.  (And this of course isn't counting the other things that I already knew were migraine triggers such as alcohol, sugar, aspartame, MSG....)

So, basically, my diet is so boring that I want to scream.  I probably should have listed the foods that I *can* eat instead, it would have been shorter.  I suppose I should be grateful that my weight is no longer a problem!   :lol:  And honestly, I really am, truly I swear I am, grateful that this knowledge has dramatically decreased the number of migraines that I've been suffering with.  It has made a HUGE difference, so I am happy to know this.  I am just angry that so many of my favorite foods got taken away from me.  Avocados, nuts, figs, and citrus fruits were daily staples for me.  Which I guess explains why I was having daily migraines!

Hence the blah.  My workouts are boring.  Every meal that I eat is boring.  I'm always hungry for things I can't eat.  Blah.  

It could be worse.  I know this.  I need an attitude adjustment.  Help!

• Like 3

So, basically, my diet is so boring that I want to scream.  I probably should have listed the foods that I *can* eat instead, it would have been shorter.  I suppose I should be grateful that my weight is no longer a problem!   :lol:  And honestly, I really am, truly I swear I am, grateful that this knowledge has dramatically decreased the number of migraines that I've been suffering with.  It has made a HUGE difference, so I am happy to know this.  I am just angry that so many of my favorite foods got taken away from me.  Avocados, nuts, figs, and citrus fruits were daily staples for me.  Which I guess explains why I was having daily migraines!

Hence the blah.  My workouts are boring.  Every meal that I eat is boring.  I'm always hungry for things I can't eat.  Blah.  

Ugh yeah I feel this way sometimes.  I feel better on the limited diet, but damn it it's boring and not fun. 

• Like 3

Ugh yeah I feel this way sometimes.  I feel better on the limited diet, but damn it it's boring and not fun. 

Yes!  I need to think more about the "feel better" part and worry less about the "boring" part.  If I can just accomplish that, I'll be all set.

• Like 3

My problem is the same one I've whined about before:  the migraines.  But two new associated problems.  First, now my favorite form of exercise has been taken away from me.  I can't run anymore without a BAD migraine getting triggered.  So instead, I'm stuck at the gym doing milder cardio.  The boring, over-crowded gym where the manager insists on setting the thermostat to "inferno"!   :cursing:  I guess I need to change gyms.  I've been hesitant because this one is by far the best value in town.

The second problem.  I switched to a vegan diet initially for health reasons, and I feel committed to it not only for that but also for ethical and spiritual reasons now as well.  And at first it was fantastic and I loved it and I actually found it astonishingly satisfying.  And then I learned about tyramine triggering migraines.  Honestly, this is so well known, I'm not sure how this fact had escaped my attention for all these years.  And I can't believe my neurologist never bothered to mention it!  But I digress.  Anyway, tyramine is an amino acid that triggers migraines, and it is in MANY foods.  So many foods that now my diet is so restrictive that it is very difficult for me to come up with satisfying meals.  So now, not only are all animal foods off the menu, but I also cannot eat:  nuts of any kind, avocados, olives, tofu, tempeh, citrus fruits, vinegar or anything that's been pickled, anything that's been fermented such as chutney or kimchi or sourdough bread, soy sauce, miso, chocolate, coffee, tea, figs, raisins, bananas, plums, cherries, cranberries, raspberries, eggplant, snow peas, broccoli, beets, spinach, asparagus, fava beans, navy beans, or homemade bread, and I can only eat tomatoes, onions, green beans, and commercial breads in very small amounts.  (And this of course isn't counting the other things that I already knew were migraine triggers such as alcohol, sugar, aspartame, MSG....)

Oh man. That stinks. And you are NOT whining. Losing that many foods is a loss. A real loss. It is okay for you to grieve out loud about it. 

Do you know what about running triggers migraines? 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3

Well...I had great plans for the day until a secret santa gifted me with 4 beautiful gluten free chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting. I fought the fight for as long as I could and then ate two of them for lunch (with a hot cup of chai, of course). Then I caught a glimpse of myself in the full length mirror in the ladies restroom. That was enough of an incentive to not eat the remaining two cupcakes.

I had a healthy dinner and went to the Y. 

• Like 4

Well...I had great plans for the day until a secret santa gifted me with 4 beautiful gluten free chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting. I fought the fight for as long as I could and then ate two of them for lunch (with a hot cup of chai, of course). Then I caught a glimpse of myself in the full length mirror in the ladies restroom. That was enough of an incentive to not eat the remaining two cupcakes.

I had a healthy dinner and went to the Y. 

Good for you for getting right back on track with the healthy dinner and the Y!

• Like 2

I did my 60 min walk with 30 min of jogging intervals today. It was still nice out. Later this week won't be.It always feels good to get a workout in on Monday. I've read that "Monday is the most important workout of the week!" and I think that is probably true. I always feel like I'm in the hole if I don't get started on Monday. 

I tried to get dh to meet me at the gym so I would do my strength-training there, but he couldn't make it. I'll go tomorrow with or without a workout buddy! 

I still need to do my flexibility exercises. 

• Like 3

Greta ~ Glad to see you posting again! and sorry about migraines and food limitations. It does sound very hard and you are totally allowed to complain about it. Can you walk wherever you were running for lighter cardio not in the hot gym?

I still feel weirdly exhausted, although I didn't do anything all weekend. I took DS to a competition on Sunday, but it was only two hours of standing. I shouldn't have felt it this morning. The weather is nasty today, so it might be something to do with that. Still, I got myself to go to the private lesson and worked with the tennis ball for another 25 minutes. It is so windy out, I am seriously considering just staying in, especially since DD is still sick, and DS is not excited about going.

The rest of the week is going to be messed up, as tomorrow BIL is coming, and on Thursday we are leaving for Portland. The next week is not much better. I really don't want to break my routine.

• Like 4

Today I walked 1.5 miles and ate pretty well. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve also done pretty well with water. Twelve more ounces and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll hit 64oz. I should be able to do that easily before I go to bed. I put thought into what I was eating today instead of just eating mindlessly. Strict, extreme diets (like Whole30) are easier for me because all the rules are clearly laid out. Ă¢â‚¬Å“All things in moderationĂ¢â‚¬ is so much harder but is where IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d like to be. I think I did well with that today - especially considering that we were getting back into our school routine today too.

• Like 4

Oh man. That stinks. And you are NOT whining. Losing that many foods is a loss. A real loss. It is okay for you to grieve out loud about it.

Do you know what about running triggers migraines?

Thank you! It does feel like a loss, thatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a good way to put it.

It is well established that strenuous exercise triggers migraines (while regular moderate exercise helps prevent them). But the line between moderate and strenuous is different from person to person, and even from time to time. So my best guess is that running is simply too strenuous for me right now, but IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not 100% certain.

Greta ~ Glad to see you posting again! and sorry about migraines and food limitations. It does sound very hard and you are totally allowed to complain about it. Can you walk wherever you were running for lighter cardio not in the hot gym?

Thanks, Olga! I love walking, but unfortunately itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not enough to get my heart rate up into the aerobic zone. I suppose I could try run/walk/run intervals though. Maybe that would get my heart rate up enough to be effective but not enough to trigger a migraine? Worth a shot anyway!

Greta,

Wow! That is some list. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m so glad that youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re feeling better, but that diet is a major challenge. WeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re all rooting for you!

Thank you so much!

Edited by Greta
  • Like 2

Greta, I get migraines when I run, too, so I can relate to that. I try to walk as much as I can, and use a rowing machine instead. With running, it's the movement of my head and the pounding that triggers me, but with rowing, my head stays relatively level and smooth so it's better for me. (I hope that made sense!)

Today I rowed for 50 minutes, which was great, but I did not do as well with my eating. It is my oldest's birthday and we went to dinner, where I did not make the best choices. I seem to be pretty good at self-sabotaging like that, justifying less healthy things because I worked out earlier. Tomorrow is another day and I'll try to get back on track.

• Like 4

Nothing done yesterday. No exercises and food was so off, I didn't overeat but what I did eat wasn't great. Thank you hormones and lack of time. 

First I started my period, 23 day cycle this time. Fabulous.

And I was busier than I expected. With ds starting math class we had to cram all this school into the morning and then errands took too long by the time we made it home from Scouts we literally ate supper and went straight to bed. We have nothing until evening today so I'm feeling much more optimistic about my day (other than the fact I'm up at 3am for some reason). I've got time to sleep in or take a nap if need be and I don't have to rush.

. I'm going to focus on the lower body and would like a walk, my 'bad' arm is hurting again, it is so freakin' sensitive.

I've been wondering about your thyroid and how you were feeling.  My mom did get officially diagnosed with Hashimoto's and she found a doctor who said "normal" TSH levels are not good enough, and who wants to see her numbers improve.  So he increased her medication and ordered some additional testing.  I'm glad that she's in better hands.  How have you been?

Restrictive diets suck :( I understand the whine btdt :( I'm so excited you might have figured out how to stop the migraines, fingers crossed that it keeps working for you....

I am doing ok. My thyroid has been good it is just the other stuff. Did they ever test you for Hashi's? You know it is hereditary!

• Like 5

Hey everybody, hope y'all don't mind me jumping in.  I've been following these threads.  :)

3 months ago I restarted my fitness journey when I joined a martial arts class with my older son.  I didn't expect to fall in love, but I did!!  Also, I recommitted to low carb, whole foods eating.  Right now I'm in the honeymoon phase because I'm seeing such transformation, but I know that I'll need some support when that doesn't always give me enough motivation or I plateau. 

What's happened so far: I've gained/toned muscle (this is easy for me) and lost 1 1/2 inches off my measurements, 2 off my waist (this is NOT easy for me!)

What I'm doing: Martial arts classes 3x/wk, at home strength/bodyweight training, practicing martial arts forms, and sprints 5-6x/wk

Eating meat, veg, and fruit with a little dairy

Goals for December: Passing my belt test in a week and a half, keep working on moving from girl pushups to regular ones (UGH), build stamina on the punching bag, avoid the carbs my mom keeps offering/insisting on :)

Long-term I would love to see improvements with my sleep and PMS symptoms...a girl can dream, right?

Reading everyone's goals/progress is so helpful!!!!

• Like 7

Hey everybody, hope y'all don't mind me jumping in.  I've been following these threads.  :)

3 months ago I restarted my fitness journey when I joined a martial arts class with my older son.  I didn't expect to fall in love, but I did!!  Also, I recommitted to low carb, whole foods eating.  Right now I'm in the honeymoon phase because I'm seeing such transformation, but I know that I'll need some support when that doesn't always give me enough motivation or I plateau. 

What's happened so far: I've gained/toned muscle (this is easy for me) and lost 1 1/2 inches off my measurements, 2 off my waist (this is NOT easy for me!)

What I'm doing: Martial arts classes 3x/wk, at home strength/bodyweight training, practicing martial arts forms, and sprints 5-6x/wk

Eating meat, veg, and fruit with a little dairy

Goals for December: Passing my belt test in a week and a half, keep working on moving from girl pushups to regular ones (UGH), build stamina on the punching bag, avoid the carbs my mom keeps offering/insisting on :)

Long-term I would love to see improvements with my sleep and PMS symptoms...a girl can dream, right?

Reading everyone's goals/progress is so helpful!!!!

Welcome!  Sounds like you are off to a great start. I think it is wise to be looking for a more natural way to eat healthy foods because in the long run, weight loss is sustained by an eating approach that we can enjoy and therefore stick to for life.  

I don't know what your sleep issues are, but if you are getting too little, that causes changes in several eating-related hormones in the body and can result in almost uncontrollable urges to eat too much.

• Like 5

Yes, I totally understand the restrictive diet issue. I've got a ton of food allergies, and am on a low-FODMAP diet to reduce abdominal pain and gas build-up. Your diet restrictions looks almost identical to mine. I'm not vegen, though, as I would have virtually nothing left to eat if I was. I have been vegetarian in the past. You may want to consider bringing in some protein items (eg. eggs and cheese) on a temporary basis so that your health doesn't suffer long-term. With no meat, nuts or beans, what are you eating in the way of protein? Your muscles, especially your heart muscle, need protein or they will suffer. 

• Like 2

Greta, I get migraines when I run, too, so I can relate to that. I try to walk as much as I can, and use a rowing machine instead. With running, it's the movement of my head and the pounding that triggers me, but with rowing, my head stays relatively level and smooth so it's better for me. (I hope that made sense!)

Oh!  I had not thought about that, but yes it certainly does make sense.  I run on trails, which are uneven enough that I really have to pay attention.  I try very hard not to constantly keep my head and neck turned down to look at the trail (and look with my eyes only and not my whole head), but I'm not entirely successful.  That combined with the pounding does sound like a recipe for a migraine, doesn't it?

I must confess I'm not a huge fan of rowing, but since we have a rowing machine (my husband likes it) I should give it another shot.  I seem to be able to use the AMT machine (kind of like an elliptical) and the step mill at my gym without any trouble.  On both of those, the head/neck is in a neutral position.

I'm curious, do you find that biking is any better, or does the bent-forward-and-looking-up position also aggravate your neck and trigger a migraine?

Thank you so much for this information!

• Like 1