Menu

Curriculums that have a schedule

Hi,

I have grade 5, grade 8 and grade 11 students, all boys and two of them not drastically inspired to do school and the other a dawdler who can work independently once he gets going.  I also work 3 nights a week 4pm until midnight.

I have been trying to put together my own curriculum as I used to before starting to work nights but I just don't have the energy, time or inspiration to do it anymore.

I know of Sonlight that has a schedule.  What other curriculums out there have schedules all worked out so that I can show the boys clearly what needs to be done?  And so I don't have to make decisions all the time on what to do next.

Thanks

Jen in Oz

Maybe what you need to do is sit down and come up with a generic schedule for each day of the week for each kid. For example:

Monday

8:00am - 9:00am Writing

9:00am - 10:00am Math

10:00am - 10:30am Science

10:30am - 11:00am Logic

11:00am - 11:30am History

11:30am - 12:00pm Literature

...and so on. If there are subjects they do on certain days of the week instead of every day, make a different schedule for Mondays, Tuesdays, etc. 

This is what I do. Then every Sunday I sit down with my schedule and use it to write out their assignment list for each day that week. Honestly, my 8th grader could probably make his own assignment lists by now if I wanted him to. He knows our routines and how I divide up the lessons in each of his subjects. He also knows how to print out or make copies of his worksheets and tests if I forget.

I work 20 hours a week so I understand the need to streamline. The schedule also helps me to budget my time in the mornings because I have to finish in time for work at noon. 

I haven't read all of the replies, so bear with me if I'm repeating. You could try...

Sonlight (or Bookshark, which is Sonlight done secularly)

My Father's World

Memoria Press

Build Your Library

Ambleside Online (weekly schedules, not daily)    

Simply Charlotte Mason

Oak Meadow

get a package from Timberdoodle (has weekly schedule)

Wayfarers does although it's multi age so may be slightly harder.

Actually a lot of the single subject ones have a weekly schedule too. Singapore and RSO come to mind.

What works here is I check the schedules on Sunday and fill out a school diary for the week for each kid with their work. It works out better for us because they don't argue when it's in writing.

Those that say Oak Meadow has a schedule, do you know where to find it? I have the latest edition and there is no schedule, except what to cover during the week and I really need something laid out for me, day by day.

• Like 1

Slightly different but maybe helpful. I write ds14 subjects on a white board each day, erase the subject when it is completed. This gives him some control over the order he chooses to do the work and he can glance over and see what he has left. He is a completely non motivated student. It works for us,

Oh man, we switched over to Memoria Press this year and it has been AWWWWWWWWWWEEEESSSSSSOOOOMMMME!    

All year long I keep saying, "This is what homeschooling is supposed to be like!"  Things are so peaceful, so full of rest....yet there is such depth in their studies.   Thanks to their guides, I am living the Multum Non Multa lifestyle.    

I order a curriculum guide for each of my students and they use these as their daily checklists.  (They are very cost effective when compared to sonlight guides.)    We have a hard start and stop time.  Any work not done before the stop time is pushed to the next day.   (I do this to give them time to explore projects and have time for afternoon reading.)   I check work carefully each day and give frequent feedback.   I am around to give support by answering questions, helping with organization, etc.   But for the first time, I am not killing myself trying to do a million things.   Our school days are shorter, I am less stressed, but somehow I feel like they are making bounds and leaps academically.   

• Like 3