Menu

Alabama Homeschooling Laws

Help me help a friend! She's currently homeschooling in FL but will be moving to AL in December. She's trying to figure out the AL Homeschool laws. She told me:

-- I called the AL Dept of Education and spoke with a lady who explained that I needed to contact the local board because the state "no longer regulates, certifies, or licenses homeschools.

But when I called City School Board, they asked me which program I had enrolled the kids. I don't, I have made up my own curriculum. "Oh. Well then you don't have a school that can send us the forms. So... I guess just send us a letter that you're homeschooling and maybe tell us a little about what you're using." The County simply suggests that we come in and put a letter on file. Seems I have found a strange little loophole of no-man's-land.--

So, what IS the new law and what does she need to do to legally homeschool in AL?

Thank you!

Edited by carriede

The easiest way to be legal in Alabama is to use a cover school-- they are mostly church covers although there are some secular options that don't require you to sign a statement of faith.

The cover school can provide you with the forms to take to the board of education. Then the homeschool teacher must meet the requirements of the cover school. Mine requires me to turn in grades after each semester and I have to submit attendance. I think we are required to do 160 days of school, but don't quote me on that.

Later if she feels like she has a better understanding of the laws, she can always w/draw from the cover school and go it on her own. Apparently, it IS legal to hs w/out a cover now in Alabama, but I don't know the details of what all is required. I personally like the benefits of having a cover.

There is a Facebook Group called Alabama Homeschool Chat. She can post the question there, too. 

Just tell her to keep in mind that the whole "cover vs no cover" thing can get very heated here (in Alabama) on social media. Sometimes the moderators of the groups won't allow discussion about it because it gets out of hand. People and their pesky opinions! ;)

I just reread your OP and I want to clarify something about cover schools. They do NOT dictate how you teach your children. They exist simply to keep you legal. They provide transcripts and turn attendance in to the state. You get to choose your own curricula. Some require you submit a form listing what you use--which could be an issue if she's creating her own curriculum, but most cover schools are very flexible.

Homeschooling via direct reporting through the state is a new process in AL. Very few people go that route bc there is still a lot of confusion as to what it actually entails.

As noted by Stephensgirls, most people homeschool through an umbrella school. Different umbrellas have different requirements. Some you simply out paperwork for the umbrella at the beginning of the yr listing grades and subjects being taught and turn in attendance at the end of the yr.

Fwiw, umbrellas often deal directly with the local school district so the parent doesn't do anything other interact with their umbrella.

There is a Facebook group called Homeschool Without Cover Alabama that has information on the no cover option.

If the child is moving to Alabama, they really don't have to do anything. Notifying the BOE is "optional". It's typically a good idea when leaving public school, but when moving here, no one knows who the child is. The state would like you to notify the BOE, but they don't require you to because they don't regulate homeschoolers.

If you use no cover, you do not have to report anything to the state ever. It's really pretty easy. I used a cover for several years. This year I'm not using one. Saved my money. I wasn't getting any benefit from having a cover.

Edited by boscopup
  • Like 1

There is a Facebook group called Homeschool Without Cover Alabama that has information on the no cover option.

If the child is moving to Alabama, they really don't have to do anything. Notifying the BOE is "optional". It's typically a good idea when leaving public school, but when moving here, no one knows who the child is. The state would like you to notify the BOE, but they don't require you to because they don't regulate homeschoolers.

If you use no cover, you do not have to report anything to the state ever. It's really pretty easy. I used a cover for several years. This year I'm not using one. Saved my money. I wasn't getting any benefit from having a cover.

I'm interested in learning more about this. We are part of a cover school that costs about $100 per year. If I could save that $ each year that would be wonderful. Do you have any other info or links I could read other than the Facebook page? I'm not on Facebook.

I'm interested in learning more about this. We are part of a cover school that costs about $100 per year. If I could save that $ each year that would be wonderful. Do you have any other info or links I could read other than the Facebook page? I'm not on Facebook.

Click on the Non-Public Schools tab:

https://www.alsde.edu/ofc/osp/Pages/faqs-all.aspx