Menu

Would you spend $600

No. I do remember playing a stock market game and learning about it when I was in 8th grade (and we read the paper, chose stocks, pretended to invest and then calculated our earnings and losses to see how we did)--but I can't say that it helped me with investing as an adult (other than it gave me exposure to how things work etc...) 

I think if you want to teach them about the stock market, teach them about investing and how the market works and let them each invest $300 to see how they do. If they lose it all, the money is spent just like it would be if they took the class. If not though, they might make some money for future needs. 

• Like 6

I like Merry's idea to have them invest that money, if you know enough to teach them yourself.

I would only pay that much for the class IF - 

both kids were super-interested in the topic

AND

I had a lot of discretionary income

AND

I didn't feel capable of teaching it myself, even with whatever resources are available out there.

• Like 2

If the $300 per kid breaks down to less than or equal to $15/hr, I would treat it as socializing time rather than educational expenses. I would want it to be at least 2hrs per session though because of traveling time.

For academic reasons, I won’t spend $300 per kid for a stock market game class. I would instead register for the free online stock market game as a non-competing individual

https://www.stockmarketgame.org

• Like 4

Thanks all!  We technically could swing it cost wise, but it is just a for fun class.  I was looking at the free on-line game this morning and that is what got me really thinking.  I also saw some threads on the high school board.  There are some books I could get them to learn.  They are interested, but it takes about 3 hours out of our day with travel time and it is a 1 hour class.  It is $37.50 a class :scared: .

I think I am going to pass...  

No. I would not spend $37.50 per class per kid for something like this.

That's more expensive than college.

My bad, I just double checked and it is 15 weeks so $20 per class. I am also considering a semester long public speaking class that would about $350 per kid. That is about 15 minutes from home and not a bad commute.

• Like 1

but it takes about 3 hours out of our day with travel time and it is a 1 hour class...

I think I am going to pass...  

I would pass too, even if it was free--my kids would not feel like doing school after being out of the house for 3 hours and we probably wouldn't get anything done. Once a week for 15 weeks is a long time for that kind of routine. I'd want a really special, can't do it any other way kind of experience for that kind of length and regularity.

• 2 weeks later...