Menu

Creating Capsule Wardrobe

TechWife

I am so excited! Ever since I first heard about the concept, I have loved the idea of having a capsule wardrobe. I keep thinking I'll come across the "perfect" set of clothing, buy it all and be done. But, that's expensive and completely unrealistic for me. Someone here on the boards recommended The Vivienne Files  where the writer has extensive instructions on how to gradually create a capsule wardrobe, including tips on choosing colors. She also recommends an app called "Stylebook."  I think it's her app, but I'm not sure at this point. 

I've been buying a lot of clothing lately and after yesterday's spin through Talbot's (everything was 50% off), I decided I needed to organize things and get my clothes under control, so to speak. So, today, I downloaded the app and started playing with it. The most tedious part was talking pictures of my clothes, but I decided to do only the clothes I remember wearing recently - within the past couple of weeks and the clothes I purchased yesterday. Then, it was playtime! This app it really cool and makes "seeing" things really easy. 

So far, I have created fourteen "looks." I have used nine pieces of clothing, one scarf and two pairs of shoes. The clothes are: 

1 pair blue jeans

1 pair black slacks

1 black pencil skirt

1 red pullover

1 grey jean jacket

1 black dress blazer

1 black casual blazer w/black & white stripe cuffs

1 light blue long sleeve t shirt

1 black long sleeve t shirt

1 Christmas scarf

1 pair grey tennis shoes

1 pair black flats 

I know that I can create even more outfits with these clothes by changing out the individual items. It's easy to do with the app by "cloning" outfits and then changing just one or two pieces. I still have several pieces of clothes that I haven't started playing with, too. I also have necklaces and earrings to add. I think I will eventually be able to weed some things out of my closet that I don't use very often, too. 

I honestly never knew this could be this easy, but that blog really helped a lot. So, I'm up for any tips or tricks anyone has on creating a capsule wardrobe - what pieces do you think are "essential?" Do you use an accent color? How do you use accessories? Have you tried to do this and it hasn't worked for you? 

• Like 20

Not exactly a capsule wardrobe, but for the most part I only have clothes in my chosen neutral and two accent colors. I've done this for years. If certain colors are most flattering, it makes sense to only wear those colors. I also limit my wardrobe to certain necklines and silhouettes for the same reason. Variety can be added with textures, styles, and accessories, as well as depth and shade of color. 

I've known a few people with a signature style -- they wear the same style skirt, dress, or pant/blouse everyday. Colors and textures change, but the overall silhouette remains the same. They always look put-together and polished.  (And I imagine they rarely fret about what to wear!)

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 9

I like the Vivienne Files as well.  I had been trying to do the P333, but never seemed to really commit to it.  When I found Vivienne Files "Whatever's Clean 13" list, everything just clicked.  Each season I now aim for a WC13 set for work & a WC13 set for home + a couple nice, going out outfits.  This adds up to about the 33 items that P333 recommends, but is easier for me to follow.  I have plain bottoms, mostly print tops, & plain cardigans.  This allows me to mix & match all items, making getting ready in the morning stress free.  I vary the numbers depending on the season.  Winter's set has 4 bottoms, 5 tops, & 4 cardigans, while summer's set has 5 bottoms, 6 tops, & 2 cardigans.  

For colors I try to have a couple core colors and 2-3 accent colors. I've just packed away my winter work set.  That had bottoms in black & navy, while the tops & cardigans were in turquoise, maroon, & purple.  

• Like 5

I've just discovered this myself. I updated my summer wardrobe to include some skirts and dresses, mostly with blues, whites, and tans. I ended up with stripes and solids on top. Everything went together somewhat at least. My shorts were still on the frumpy side so I'll have to work on that next summer after I lose more weight. Now I'm working on fall/winter. I like the styles at Esprit and I'm looking forward to checking out Talbot's. I'm sticking with blue and adding grey and some black and white. I bought a couple nice white, fitted blouses. Also looking for more quality pieces that will last. Some of the 19.99 stuff I got last winter look pretty ratty already. I found a brand of shoes I like that look good with casual dresses, jeans, and pants so that helps a lot. I get back pain with heels so that kept me away from dresses for a long time, but now I feel good with tights and ankle boots. I'll be glad when I have a wardrobe that looks good and is easy to manage.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I love looking at the Vivienne Files, but I didn't realize there was an app.  Hah.  I was hoping if I scrolled through it enough it would eventually seep into my head, and I'd wake up one morning to realize I have a capsule wardrobe hanging in my closet, complete with a clever little story about me ... and possibly even a painting hanging on the wall showing the inspiration.  

So, I guess you're telling me mere mortals can actually do this if they're willing to do a bit of work. 

• Like 4

I was just going to post about this. I just cleaned out my closet and have been making notes on some things I need to round out my wardrobe, I'm hoping with some focus I can keep myself from over buying at Goodwill when I find a good deal!

Not exactly a capsule wardrobe, but for the most part I only have clothes in my chosen neutral and two accent colors. I've done this for years. If certain colors are most flattering, it makes sense to only wear those colors. I also limit my wardrobe to certain necklines and silhouettes for the same reason. Variety can be added with textures, styles, and accessories, as well as depth and shade of color. 

I've known a few people with a signature style -- they wear the same style skirt, dress, or pant/blouse everyday. Colors and textures change, but the overall silhouette remains the same. They always look put-together and polished.  (And I imagine they rarely fret about what to wear!)

I am this way to a certain extent, my husband thinks I'm unbelievably picky, I just know what I want :) I used to do browns, navy, and olive greens and as of late it has been a lot of black and navy and a bit of gray ( I look horrible in pastels). I'm looking to add more browns and olives back in this summer. 

I have plenty of jeans (which are my usual wardrobe), Ann Taylor and JCrew are my favorite (from Goodwill). I'd like another pair of dress pants for the winter, maybe in navy, I already have a black pair. I'd like another long sleeve tshirt and another sweater but the ones I have will do for now.

For the spring I've been collecting knit dresses (now that I'm not nursing and can dress in dresses again!) and have a good sized collection. But I'd like to add several things to my wardrobe (so I need to be mindful!)

-I'd like a couple of bohemian skirts, I want a nice wide waist with thick elastic (because it is more flattering and stays in place better)

-I'd like tanks in white and navy (mine need to be retired)

-hiking pants- I have one good long pair and they get heavy use- I want at least 1 more

-SHORTS- gah I have the most horrible time finding some that are long enough but not too long and oh, flattering on my shape!

-couple of decent tshirts I bought some cheap ones last year at Penney's but I'd like to spring for some that might last a bit longer than a season

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

The basis of my most fundamental capsule is black and taupe, with blue jeans.

I always have a LBD, (or two), black dress pants, black pencil skirt, black swimming suit, and a black knit shirt that I can dress up or down (v neck), black leggings in full and knee lengths, and a black suit.  And I always have a taupe longish (mid calf, flowy) skirt, taupe shorts, and a taupe top.  

Other basics include a puffy, dark coat, a long wool coat, a denim jacket (black right now, but often blue), and assorted shoes and sandals.

Then I add pops of color, in deep bright tones, and vary them as much as possible so that it looks like I have a lot of clothes.  

These are generally jackets (if I were a guy these would be sport jackets--the formalish jackets that you wear inside) and knit tops and/or tunics.  So for instance right now, in addition to my black suit jacket I have an unconstructed black knit jacket, a white one, a green and white flowy knit one, and a red and black houndstooth one.  These all go great with my black basics but also look decent over jeans, for instance.  

The other thing I do is instead of buying the latest colored whatever (jeans, skirts, dresses), I tend to update accessories.  For instance right now circular, long, flowy or very long narrow scarves are in style and short or conventional length or square silk or knitted ones are not, so that's what I'm knitting and buying.  I am, however, keeping my square, conventional and short scarves tucked away because I imagine that they will be The Latest Thing one of these days real soon.  With a back drop of a knit, flowy, flattering, washable LBD I can change up the entire look with just those scarves and the occasional shawl almost infinitely but always be comfortable and feel stylish.

• Like 2

I've never looked at that site, but I do follow that some of those 10-item wardrobe moms on YouTube.  Here are my favorite two:

The Daily Connoisseur

Joy Forney

I used to be very good about this, but I've been terrible at keeping it minimal recently.  There are very good thrift stores near here, and a lot my my friends sell LuLaRoe.  My closet and the storage spaces in the basement are currently overwhelmed by my clothes.

• Like 3

Thank you for this link! I searched the blog for entries on summer wardrobes because that's what I need year round here, with the exception of maybe one or two sweaters (which would barely get worn). I could easliy get lost there and don't have time, so I bookmarked it for later. I might even end up with a Pinterest board for this.

• Like 1

Back in the early 80s, there was Color Me Beautiful. Most of the women, and some of the men, at the church I attended at that time had been "draped" and knew their Seasons. :-) It wasn't exactly life-changing for me, but it was a substantial thing. I am a Summer. I only wear white gold/silver-tone jewelry; I don't wear gold, or olive green, or brown, or any other warm color next to my face; I don't wear black, either, unless it's required for group event (e.g., choir musical), unless I can put a Summer-color scarf next to my face. Knowing what colors I can wear makes shopping more efficient.  All of my clothing parts match. I can wear any skirt with any sweater with any pants with any scarf or accessory.

Now if I could just fix some of my body issues... :hat:

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 3

I've seen this term around but never looked into it. One of the things I would like to do is to dress better this year. The good news, I already have a very thin wardrobe. I'm not someone who hangs onto tons of clothes. The bad news, most of it is only marginally stylish.

Things I for sure need this year are more pants/jeans (shoot me now), and cuter shoes. I have a decent selection of shirts and blouses.

I've debated using Stichfix to accomplish this, but I currently have ZERO extra funds. So, not sure how I'll be hitting this goal.

Also, biggest road block: I don't have a great sense of style.

• Like 3

I've gone through weight changes so a minimalist wardrobe became a necessity. Now I love it. I've always liked simple classic pieces, which dovetails nicely with it minimalism.  I'm almost at my goal weight and when I get there I'm sticking with the approach.   I have blacks, whites and greys as my neutral base with mostly greens and blues as accent colors.  I love that just about everything works together.

I developed a bad case of plantar fasciitis in my right foot and can only wear shoes with orthopedic arches in them, so I buy Vionics in black which works well and they're cute.  No one knows they're orthopedic shoes. I have sandals, booties, wedge sandals, and will get a pair of flats next.

• Like 1

I have looked at these before. Most are too dressy for me. I don't need (or want) dresses, skirts, or dress slacks. Has anyone ever seen a super casual version of the capsule?

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+casual+capsule+wardrobe&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjApce06erYAhVF7GMKHYoaAX0QsAQILg&biw=1536&bih=753

• Like 1

The quality clothes things leaves me skeptical too - mostly because I usually get mine stained.

The most effective stain remover I've ever used is 1 part blue Dawn dishwashing liquid to 2 parts hydrogen peroxide.  I got blueberries on my cotton shorts when I was in Maine and didn't realize until I got home 4 days later.  It took it out.  It's taken make-up out of younget's t-shirts (lipstick and foundation.) It got spaghetti sauce out of a white t-shirt.

• Like 5

I have looked at these before. Most are too dressy for me. I don't need (or want) dresses, skirts, or dress slacks. Has anyone ever seen a super casual version of the capsule?

Well, I never called it a capsule wardrobe, but I tend to have what I think of as my "uniform". 4 pairs of the same kind of shorts in different colors. Two pairs of jeans (just one pair right now). About five tank tops in various colors (that mix and match with the shorts/jeans) and three t-shirts that I can wear with the short or the jeans. I also have three long sleeve t-shirts for winter. (Florida, so usually don't get more than three days in a row that I'd wear long sleeves)

Then for church/dressy I have black slacks, tan slacks, and a few dressy tops that go with either. Or I can wear the dressy top with the jeans. Also two wrap style dresses, that fit me weather I'm a size 12 or a size 16 - they are the same except one is black and white and the other is black and teal (more spring like). 

What's missing in my wardrobe is the in between...something more put together/dressy than jeans and a t-shirt but less so than church clothes. I do have two pairs of capris that are super cute..one in white and one in coral. I have a sleeveless white knit top that looks cute with the coral ones that is more casual, but all the tops for the white ones are dressy and more church wear. (I do wear the capris to church too). I want to get a few tops at dress barn to fit this category. 

Shoes: nicer looking flip flops that I wear almost daily, sneakers for exercising, black ballet flats, and two pairs of black dressier low heeled sandals..one is all black and the other has some sisal rope type detail so they look cute even in summer. 

So I guess I have multiple capsules..which maybe defeats the point? 

• Like 2

So I guess I have multiple capsules..which maybe defeats the point?

I don't think so. In Wendy Mak's book, she specifically excluded lounge at home and exercise clothes. Since those are a major part of anyone's wardrobe everyone will have at least two sets of clothes: at home and going out.

• Like 1

I don't think so. In Wendy Mak's book, she specifically excluded lounge at home and exercise clothes. Since those are a major part of anyone's wardrobe everyone will have at least two sets of clothes: at home and going out.

Ah, okay then! I was going to say, I'm never going to go to the dog park or the playground or clean my house in the stuff I see in these capsule wardrobes!

So then yes, I have a capsule for lounge at home (the 4 shorts in matching colors/yoga pants in black, plus tanks and t-shirts to mix with either), and then a nicer set of stuff...black dress pants, tan dress pants, white capris, coral capris, and nicer shirts that mix and match with those. And then jeans that can go either way. Plus two dresses that I keep because I can nurse in them and they fit me at my heaviest and at 65 pounds lighter. You don't get rid of dresses like that!!!

I do need some new tops as some are now too big, and the lounge at home ones are getting pretty worn. Dress barn looks like the go to place because from what I see their tops skim rather than being tight at the waist. 

My neutrals are black, white, and tan. My accent colors are mainly coral and teal. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 3

The most effective stain remover I've ever used is 1 part blue Dawn dishwashing liquid to 2 parts hydrogen peroxide.  I got blueberries on my cotton shorts when I was in Maine and didn't realize until I got home 4 days later.  It took it out.  It's taken make-up out of younget's t-shirts (lipstick and foundation.) It got spaghetti sauce out of a white t-shirt.

Tried it when the baby spit up on a new LL Bean shirt I loved- it did remove the stain, but also left faint bleaching stains of its own.  These days at home I wear a lot of synthetics or cheap secondhand shirts - either stain proof or I don't care if I have to throw them out.

I'm not a super fancy dressy either. I do need clothes for church but even then I often wear jeans (it is very casual). But the princple of the capsule wardrobe is to pick neutrals and accent colors for the whole wardrobe so everything can coordinate together and you can have many outfits from a few pieces, you can apply that to things you already wear. I've never worn or plan to wear a dress jacket, there is no way I would by one but a couple of pairs of dress pants in neutral colors, I will wear those to church for holidays or random special occasions and they will last forever because I hardly use them. 

I have managed to develop a very casual, very simple capsule/minimalist wardrobe.

Black and silver are my anchors. I have black yoga pants/leggings, black shoes, black purse, and silver jewelry (minimal).

Whatever tops I choose have to go with those. There's not a lot of mix-and-match, per se. I usually use the same silver necklace and earrings, but occasionally I do swap it up with other jewelry (carry-overs from before I made my minimalist wardrobe). I use the same purse regardless of what I'm doing. I wear the same shoes. I have plantar fasciitis, too, so I get good shoes that hold my inserts and keep with them for the whole season: half boots for colder weather and cute flats for warmer.

My tops stick to a basic style that I know looks good on me. I'm pear-shaped, so that means I need a little extra something around the neck/shoulder areas, but after 6 kids, I need loose-fitting but not bulky around the tummy and hips. NOT easy to find, so I don't have a lot, but what I have, I love.

I have some options to dress up, which I don't do that much of, but it sticks to the same theme: black and silver. I have black dress pants and black short skirt, black dress shoes that work with either pants or skirt, and a dressy, black purse. This gives me the ability to dress up or dress down to the occasion easily.

• Like 2

I've been looking at doing this.  Partly because I'm at a pretty stable size and a lot of my clothes are getting old and need to be chucked.  I'm in a slightly different age category, I feel - I actually need better quality to get a good fit, and it costs.  And I'm going on a trip in the summer and want to be able to pack lightly but look ok for a variety of settings.

Thinking about it, I'm thinking I should probably go with grey and brown as my main neutrals, with a light blue and a soft plum colour for my brighter colours. I'm pretty much starting from scratch - I've bought a few things lately to fill gaps, but most of them were probably mistakes really which is what made me realize I need to think about what I spend my money on.

KTGrok, I think you might enjoy getting away from tanks and into sleeveless shells that skim a bit.  Flowy ones are nice and cool because they are not right in contact with all of your skin the way tanks are, and you get a tiny bit of muffin top camo without needing a tent like silhouette.  They would look great with your jeans, your shorts, your capris, and long black pants.

• Like 1

Tried it when the baby spit up on a new LL Bean shirt I loved- it did remove the stain, but also left faint bleaching stains of its own.  These days at home I wear a lot of synthetics or cheap secondhand shirts - either stain proof or I don't care if I have to throw them out.

Do you remember what kind of fabric it was?  Maybe I need to not use it on certain types of fabric.

KTGrok, I think you might enjoy getting away from tanks and into sleeveless shells that skim a bit.  Flowy ones are nice and cool because they are not right in contact with all of your skin the way tanks are, and you get a tiny bit of muffin top camo without needing a tent like silhouette.  They would look great with your jeans, your shorts, your capris, and long black pants.

My shorts are actually elastic waist, the linen blend ones from Old Navy. They don't give me a muffin top, so I can wear them with the tanks without a real issue. With jeans though, and the capris and such, yes! I'm browsing Dress Barn right now. 

• Like 1

Im on my phone and dont know how to multiquote but this thread has been helpful. I really need some clothes but I get so overwhelmed in stores. This kind of realize I need more of a game plan and can do a casual capsule. I just have to figure out my colors...

I bet you already know your colors, at least some of them, and that's enough. You know what looks really good on you. If you're not sure...if you don't LOVE it...don't buy it. Even if it's only two colors that you know look good, that's your starting point.

For me, though, my starting point was figuring out what "base" worked best for me. My breakthrough was leggings/yoga pants. Once I found those, there was no going back. I could wear those all day, stay comfortable, and look nice! It was easy after that, choose a base/anchor color (I chose black) and get leggings in black and then get tops that would work with that.

I only have a handful of clothes, but I am not buying if I'm not in love with it. I found a place that sells clothes that I love, but it's pricey, so I've only managed a couple things from them, but now at least I know what kind of budget to plan for and where to look.

• Like 2

I would say that neutrals tend to go with almost any color (including other neutrals).

Black goes with nearly everything.

White goes with nearly everything.

Brown goes with almost but not as many "everythings".

Shades of the above are also neutral and go with many, many things. Gray, cream, khaki, and variations thereof.

(Denim is kinda a neutral, in that it pretty much goes with anything.)

Other colors would be what you might see on a color wheel or rainbow: red, pink, orange, yellow, green, teal, blue, purple, etc.

FOR ME, I have ONE neutral and then I don't restrain myself to certain colors, only to whatever clothing I absolutely love that goes with my neutral.

Back in the early 80s, there was Color Me Beautiful. Most of the women, and some of the men, at the church I attended at that time had been "draped" and knew their Seasons. :-) It wasn't exactly life-changing for me, but it was a substantial thing. I am a Summer. I only wear white gold/silver-tone jewelry; I don't wear gold, or olive green, or brown, or any other warm color next to my face; I don't wear black, either, unless it's required for group event (e.g., choir musical), unless I can put a Summer-color scarf next to my face. Knowing what colors I can wear makes shopping more efficient. All of my clothing parts match. I can wear any skirt with any sweater with any pants with any scarf or accessory.

I need to shop with you. We wouldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t be in competition for anything. I wear all the stuff you avoid; right down to warm tones in jewelry.

Im confused about the neutrals vs. other colors. I think I would end up with three neutrals and only one other color. Wouldnt that get boring? How many colors should you pick, ideally? And do all the colors have to work together?

Here are some examples of different color palettes for capsule wardrobes: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&q=images+casual+capsule+wardrobe&chips=q:casual+capsule+wardrobe+green+purple,online_chips:colour+palette&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirqYGitO3YAhUG3mMKHX6GCgUQ4lYINSgN&biw=1536&bih=753&dpr=1.25

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 2

Some of these have 3-4 colors and some have 10-15 colors. It's kind of confusing in that sense. I did look more at the Vivienne Files and she does two neutrals and two colors. That seems easier on a seasonal basis. I think my neutrals will be black and denim year round and then I can change my colors per season.

• Like 1

For me, though, my starting point was figuring out what "base" worked best for me. My breakthrough was leggings/yoga pants. Once I found those, there was no going back. I could wear those all day, stay comfortable, and look nice! It was easy after that, choose a base/anchor color (I chose black) and get leggings in black and then get tops that would work with that.

I only have a handful of clothes, but I am not buying if I'm not in love with it. I found a place that sells clothes that I love, but it's pricey, so I've only managed a couple things from them, but now at least I know what kind of budget to plan for and where to look.

:iagree: This is my kind of capsule wardrobe.  Where do you shop, Aura?

I like to wear black bottoms (mostly leggings) and then whatever color tops looks best on me.  I have black, gray, and dark maroon long open cardigans that I wear when chilly.  I also have a sparkly gray scarf and a dark maroon one.  I have a pair of black skinny jeans from Express that are nice and soft.  Other than those I've pretty much given up on jeans.  They're just too uncomfortable.

For shoes I have tall black boots and tan medium height uggs for winter.  Converse, Toms, and flip flops for warmer weather. 

I also have a black peacoat.

Edited by happyonthebeach
  • Like 1

:iagree: This is my kind of capsule wardrobe.  Where do you shop, Aura?

I like to wear black bottoms (mostly leggings) and then whatever color tops looks best on me.  I have black, gray, and dark maroon long open cardigans that I wear when chilly.  I also have a sparkly gray scarf and a dark maroon one.  I have a pair of black skinny jeans from Express that are nice and soft.  Other than those I've pretty much given up on jeans.  They're just too uncomfortable.

For shoes I have tall black boots and tan medium height uggs for winter.  Converse, Toms, and flip flops for warmer weather. 

I also have a black peacoat.

The Pyramid Collection

This is my favorite tunic. I love the colors and different textures. It's just fitted enough in the top to give shape, but flows easily over my tummy and hips without adding bulk.

I'd love to try this leggings thing but 1. I live in Florida so it is hot and 2. my apple shape leaves me feeling like I look pregnant and 3. I'm so short that tunic tops look like full on dresses at best and tents at worst :(

I live in Georgia, not as bad as Florida, but a lot of the year it's close enough. I just figured out what works for me last fall. I don't know what I'm going to this summer. I HATE shorts. I look terrible in them and they're more uncomfortable than jeans. I also hate my knees. I don't like showing them. I dread this summer and trying to find clothes!

As far as length, though, I'm short, too, and a size large. It's hard, but not impossible. You'll need to pull out the measuring tape and find your proportions, find that magic length for your tops to reach and stick with it. Find ways to keep eye moving, especially toward whatever features you like (I'd say your face, you have a beautiful, glowing complexion!)

Im confused about the neutrals vs. other colors. I think I would end up with three neutrals and only one other color. Wouldnt that get boring? How many colors should you pick, ideally? And do all the colors have to work together?

What I might try is two neutrals, one "white", two main colours, and then you can add a few, say 1 - 3, accent colours.  

I can look pretty washed out in black, so I'm not going to choose it for my neutral - but I have some boots or tights in black, which can go with the grey or black and will be fine not next to my face,  and I'll keep stuff I have like a winter coat, but I won't use it as a main colour.  Instead I'm going to go for a chocolate brown (the colour of my low boots that don't make my foot issues flare up) and a grey.  I don't tend to like beige type colours much.  I'm better in something like ecru than a pure white and I like it better with brown and grey anyway.

The two main colours should be ones you like, are at least somewhat available, and look good - they might require a bit of thought.  But I think you can be a lot more free with special accent colours for things like scarves - you usually will only be wearing one at a time anyway, so as long as it looks nice with your neutrals and main colours, that should be ok.

Back in the early 80s, there was Color Me Beautiful. Most of the women, and some of the men, at the church I attended at that time had been "draped" and knew their Seasons. :-) It wasn't exactly life-changing for me, but it was a substantial thing. I am a Summer. I only wear white gold/silver-tone jewelry; I don't wear gold, or olive green, or brown, or any other warm color next to my face; I don't wear black, either, unless it's required for group event (e.g., choir musical), unless I can put a Summer-color scarf next to my face. Knowing what colors I can wear makes shopping more efficient. All of my clothing parts match. I can wear any skirt with any sweater with any pants with any scarf or accessory.

I loved that book! Finding the best colors made a huge difference.

The Pyramid Collection

This is my favorite tunic. I love the colors and different textures. It's just fitted enough in the top to give shape, but flows easily over my tummy and hips without adding bulk.

Oh my word - these clothes are beautiful. :thumbup:   Never heard of this company before.  Thanks for responding!

• Like 1

Some of these have 3-4 colors and some have 10-15 colors. It's kind of confusing in that sense. I did look more at the Vivienne Files and she does two neutrals and two colors. That seems easier on a seasonal basis. I think my neutrals will be black and denim year round and then I can change my colors per season.

Some people will want a wider variety of colors and others will prefer to stick to a few.  Everyone is different.

My capsule would be navy/indigo, black, a variety of greens/blue greens and wine colors with occasional greys tossed in to lighten it up. Some coppery colors are OK. Nobody looks worse in beige, yellow, khaki, pink, orange, fuchsia than me. Those colors do horrible things to red hair and pink skin. HORRIBLE things. Lucky for me nobody seamscto buyvthe olive drab stuff so itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s always on sale and makes my eyes go super green.