Menu

Olim (Once Upon a Time) Latin Readers - reviews?

SoCal_Bear

I have reader and workbook 1.

The reader has the complete English story followed by the complete Latin version of the story. It is simpler language. The Latin has vocabulary translated in columns down the side, and the adjectives and direct objects marked. At the bottom of the page it lists the corresponding workbook exercise. The workbook includes grammar sections in each exercise, though it is mostly translation/vocab.

It does introduce the 5 cases and talks about declensions, tense, verbs, adjectives and adverbs. There is quite a bit of grammar if you do each of the digging deeper sections. I actually really like these parts, they explicitly explain the concept and then give some practice questions.

They say grades 2-6. I will be using them with grades 2, 5 & 7 as part of our morning time. I think the grammar will be too much for the 2nd grader - he'll love the vocabulary, but just right for the older two who have done a decent amount of grammar so will not be lost by concepts like 'infinitive verb forms'

I don't know Latin myself so we are learning all together. So far I like this better than other 'translation based' programmes that I have seen. It's easy for me to implement.

I hope that helps!