Menu

Right Start Math - Which manipulatives do you really need?

goldenecho

So, which manipulatives for Right Start Math did you use the most, and were there any that you think you could do without?    Especially for level C.

I'm especially wondering if we need the math balance.   I can see it's use in early adding/number sense, but I'm not getting it's later use.     We'll be starting at level C.  Did your child use it much during that level?   Was it helpful?

Also the geometry panels. They look like a lot of fun, so I may get them, but debating because it's another higher dollar item.

And were there any alternative manipulatives that you found cheaper elsewhere?

Edited by goldenecho

I wouldn't get the math balance.  We didn't use it in our house past adding to 20.

We started with D.  So far we've used the abacus, measuring sticks (ruler and I think folding yard stick), square tiles, fraction pieces, and clock. We'll use the drawing tools toward the end of the year.   If doing C, I'd definitely add in the place value cards or make your own.

We didn't use the base 10 blocks/paper models because he didn't like them.  If needed, I also had a full set of the c-rods and MUS blocks.

• Like 1

I had one child go A-E and one go through B.

Best things: abacus, place value cards, base ten cards (You can do way bigger numbers with these than you can with the blocks.), fraction sheet and pieces that make up a sheet, games!

If you have a laminator it is easy to print and laminate your own place value and base 10 cards. I always do my own and it allows me to make them in whatever size I want. I have also printed free templates for 100 squares and 1000 cubes on card stock and made my own manipulatives when u need extra. The awesome thing about math is that so many things can be put together at home :)

• Like 1

Best things: abacus, place value cards, base ten cards (You can do way bigger numbers with these than you can with the blocks.), fraction sheet and pieces that make up a sheet, games!

If you have a laminator it is easy to print and laminate your own place value and base 10 cards. I always do my own and it allows me to make them in whatever size I want. I have also printed free templates for 100 squares and 1000 cubes on card stock and made my own manipulatives when I need extra. The awesome thing about math is that so many things can be put together at home :)

White board, T-square and 30-50 triangle are used in at least 15 lessons in C. We also use the place value cards a lot, the geared clock, the abacus, base ten picture cards, fraction chart and pieces, and both sets of cards. The balance is a pain but my kids LoVE getting it out. I think you could do without it, thouugh.

• Like 1

:iagree:

I also had one kid go A-E, plus one do A-D, and my third guy is almost 1/2 way through D now, too.

I'd include the 1" colored tiles in my top picks as well.  We use them for *so* much, even now with my student beyond RS. 

If you want to do the drawing lessons, you'll need a T-square, 45-45-90 triangle, 30-60-90 triangle, and a flat board to work on, like a mini dry erase board without a boarder.  Or you could just buy the drawing tools from RS.  I never priced out the set vs buying separately through another party. 

The cards and card games could be a good buy.  Depends a bit on your kid.  Some prefer worksheets; others like to play card games.  We only really use the multiplication deck with their envelopes, the basic deck, and the Corners deck, and we tend to go back to the same dozen or so games over and over again.

The geometry panels and math balance would be pretty low on my priority list.  Though, I think there's a mini math balance around $3 or something really cheap on Rainbow Resource.  The math balance is fun, but unnecessary.

• Like 1