Menu

math u see

Hi all,

we have just started down the route of home schooling and classical education.  My LO is seven years old and in UK year 3.

I am sorting all curriculum and resources the majority i have purchased from Well trained mind, but i am struggling with the math curriculum.  after reading WTM book i would like to give Math u see a go, but i am having problems purchasing it here in the UK, amazon uk say it is currently unavailable?  

i was wondering if  : 1. does anyone know where could i purchase it?

2. does it matter if it is not the uk version?

3.  Is it any good?

4. what other alternatives are there for me?

Thank you

Neil

I can only answer the question about if it's any good. I have a special needs kiddo and we switched to math u see and love it. It seemed like before we used it he was just memorizing facts but didn't actually get the math concepts. But now that we've switched to it he is really understanding the concepts finally. We both love it.

• Like 1

What draws you to Math U See?

There is a free British curriculum we've used, the Mathematics Enhancement Programme.  I used to print the student pages and keep the lesson plan on my ipad in Ibooks.  It's quite good. 

If you wanted one that focused more on block usage, Gattegno uses c-rods.  Book one and two are available to read online, and there are paper copies available through Educational Solutions.

If you still want to try MUS, my first step would be to look to see if you lived near an RAF base that Americans go to, like Mildenhall, and ask to join their homeschool group or message them.  They may be able to let you see it in person and decide if it's a good fit for yours.

• Like 1

We began with MUS because it was recommended in WTM, as well as from a veteran homeschooler I know. It didn't work for us. Dd was able to do the pages quickly, getting very few problems wrong, but did not come out with understanding why she was carrying 10s in addition. I spent several months trying to shore up her addition facts because she was not solid on them. It took me awhile to settle on MEP, and we worked through it rather slowly, spending about 30 minutes per day. I now break it up into two 20 minute segments per day. Technically, we are about 1/2 a year "behind", but dd's grasp of mathematical concepts is a good deal stronger now, and she is able to apply those things to new problems. I would highly recommend taking a closer look at it.

MUS has the videos online when you purchase from them. So I would see if you could contact them and have them ship to the UK. It wouldn't matter if the DVD's are not working in UK as they should work online for you. 

Good luck! We just started the program ourselves. However I really like it for both my boys.