Menu

Which standardized test would be best for me? (Test taking skills)

I would like to give my logic stage kids some practice taking standardized tests now so they can get used to the experience.   

In the past, they took the Woodcock-Johnson test to meet our state homeschool requirements.  It was great when my kids were very young because it was such a low-stress test: there were no-bubbles to fill in and most of the answers were given verbally to a friendly test proctor. 

However, now that my kids are a bit older, I am thinking I would like to use a different test that would more mimic the testing process for these higher stake tests that they will be taking in high school.  

SO---Which standardized test in upper elementary/middle school best prepares kids for taking the SAT or ACT in high school?  

You can take the SAT in 7th grade to qualify for Duke TIP.  The details on registration are fuzzy, but you can learn more here.  (I think you can also qualify with the ACT.)  I had my kids take the SAT in 7th grade because that's what my DH and I did in 7th grade.  

The nice thing about taking the SAT early is it completely demystifies the experience, especially if you get a reasonable score.  

The best way to prepare for an exam IMO is to take older versions of that exam.  

My kids started with the CAT (our evaluator uses the older CAT 5, and hand scores it), which was shorter than the ITBS, then did the ITBS starting around 7th-8th grade.   Then the PSAT in 9th & 10th grades, and my 10th grader will be taking the SAT for the first time on Saturday.

If any of your kids struggle (or you think you might struggle) with test anxiety, I'd recommend starting with a shorter test, then after a couple years of that test, switch to the ITBS.   The results of the CAT and the ITBS were identical for both of my kids - I told our evaluator last year that I could have predicted within 5 points what each child would score on each section.   I felt that both tests did a good job of confirming each child's strengths and weaknesses, which I already knew.   One of my kids is naturally a very fast test taker with no anxiety whatsoever, while my other child is slower and did have some test anxiety the first few years.   Starting around 4th or 5th grade was a good move for that particular child, because I could reiterate that "I already know your strengths and weaknesses.   Relax and just do your best.  This test counts for nothing except practice taking these kinds of tests."

My kids started with the CAT (our evaluator uses the older CAT 5, and hand scores it), which was shorter than the ITBS, then did the ITBS starting around 7th-8th grade.   Then the PSAT in 9th & 10th grades, and my 10th grader will be taking the SAT for the first time on Saturday.

If any of your kids struggle (or you think you might struggle) with test anxiety, I'd recommend starting with a shorter test, then after a couple years of that test, switch to the ITBS.   The results of the CAT and the ITBS were identical for both of my kids - I told our evaluator last year that I could have predicted within 5 points what each child would score on each section.   I felt that both tests did a good job of confirming each child's strengths and weaknesses, which I already knew.   One of my kids is naturally a very fast test taker with no anxiety whatsoever, while my other child is slower and did have some test anxiety the first few years.   Starting around 4th or 5th grade was a good move for that particular child, because I could reiterate that "I already know your strengths and weaknesses.   Relax and just do your best.  This test counts for nothing except practice taking these kinds of tests."

We always did the ITBS over several days--so usually no more than 30-45 minutes of testing per day (and sometimes even less than that).

• Like 1

I don't necessarily think there is a best one to prepare kids for taking the SAT or ACT-- any nationally normed fill-in-the-bubbles test will do the trick, especially if they can take it somewhere other than in the comfort of their own home with a parent proctoring (which really doesn't prepare kids for what can be the most stressful and nerve-wracking part of test-taking in a strange location with unfamiliar people). I'd just try to find out what's available in your area.

(I think just getting standardized test prep books, going over testing strategies, and taking all the practice tests is great preparation as well, and typically doesn't require any cash output if you have a good library.)