Menu

2017 PSAT Scores

Well, I called and they couldn't find him. They didn't want the school's name and address, they didn't ask for our address. The lady put in a request for an investigation.

I heard back from the school and their code didn't work. She's going to research.

After waiting so long, this is frustrating.

That is weird. Did your son use the homeschool code or the high school code? If he use their code, the coordinator would have access to his scores through their coordinator account. If he use the homeschool code then the CollegeBoard would have to hunt his scores down on their database using email address and name.

:grouphug: we had other issues with CollegeBoard and they did resolve those.

The school's code did not work and he doesn't remember putting in a homeschool code. He knows he wrote "homeschool" somewhere! They tried his name and email, but that didn't work, either. After 2 mths he doesn't remember all the details of what he wrote down. I wish I'd been given a copy of his registration  :glare:

CB put in an investigation request, so unless I receive it in the mail, which is still possible, it's going to be another 5-7 business days  :toetap05:   :cursing:

Edited by historymatters

The school's code did not work and he doesn't remember putting in a homeschool code. He knows he wrote "homeschool" somewhere! They tried his name and email, but that didn't work, either. After 2 mths he doesn't remember all the details of what he wrote down. I wish I'd been given a copy of his registration  :glare:

CB put in an investigation request, so unless I receive it in the mail, which is still possible, it's going to be another 5-7 business days  :toetap05:   :cursing:

We are in the same boat.  CB says they see no scores.  School he took it at doesn't have an access code for homeschoolers.  He knows for a fact he wrote down the homeschool code at the top.  The CB people said he probably entered his birthday wrong.  SERIOUSLY?!  Ugh.  So frustrated right now.  On top of that, we kept trying the update, and one time tried putting in the school he took it at, thinking that might help.  Nope-but now it won't allow us to change the school back.  CB also couldn't change the school back.  They also say they can't delete his account (although their website says they can), so I guess we get to set up a new email account, and a new college board account.  And no PSAT scores.  They don't know why.  

Ask for the case ID and then just do the chasing through email.  Their email is

E-mail: psathelp@info.collegeboard.org

Phone tag is too tiring so I resort to email. Also I do not need to repeat the whole story if I am using email.

The CB people said he probably entered his birthday wrong.  SERIOUSLY?!  Ugh.  So frustrated right now.  On top of that, we kept trying the update, and one time tried putting in the school he took it at, thinking that might help.  Nope-but now it won't allow us to change the school back.  CB also couldn't change the school back. 

My kids haven’t tried the PSAT but my DS12 had messed up his residential address and the school code for his AP exam. The customer rep fixed those details over the phone while giving us his results.
  • Like 1

Your son is correct: This year homeschoolers did NOT put in a homeschool code and instead wrote (or checked?) "Homeschool" on the form.

Yep, there was a bubble to fill that says something like, "I am homeschooled." The instructions say to NOT bubble in a code.

Sorry to hear of the missing scores. Hope they find them quickly!!!!

• Like 1

I called CB today as well and the representative, while friendly, was extremely unhelpful. She said that because I didn’t have the access code I would have to wait until the paper results came out.

Also, didn’t I read in a thread that we can get our kids’ exam booklets or something? The rep said that we couldn’t. I have a feeling ahe was tired of fielding calls and just told me the least amount/easiest to get me off the phone. 🤔

interesting. i never really thought much about it. my son too this year has been bombarded with solicitations, vanderbilt included too. i hadn't thought that it could be more student-specific based on scores at all. interesting thought.

I agree with wapiti that all these solicitations mean is that they want your application (and your fee) so that their acceptance rate looks even more selective, since that's one criteria schools are ranked on.

Signed, *a touch jaded, way ahead of time*

• Like 2

i especially like all the 'you've been selected to attend one of the future leaders of america special elite conference' or some-such - and it's all about a very high 'conference' fee and application. ;D LOL. at first, i was fooled - the return address for one such one was 1 harvard square or some-such. and said, dear so-and-so... because of your stellar performance/grades/etc, you have been specially selected... and then there's an application for a week-long program for oodles of money. fooled me!

• Like 1

Also, didn’t I read in a thread that we can get our kids’ exam booklets or something? The rep said that we couldn’t.

Yes. Call the school where your kid took the test and talk to your contact there. You should be able to pick up the booklet now that scores have come out (even though you haven't received your kid's score).

• Like 1

So, here we are in 10th grade. I signed him up for the PSAT again just for practice with no prep. Being a homeschooler, I feel it is important for him to have as many experiences in a strange testing environment as is reasonable before the test scores matter. His peers are experts at test taking and he's a rookie.

Not a homeschooler, but i still like to get my son used to testing conditions.  Some of the things we do with the last few practices is to get him out of his comfort zone.  Instead of practice test at his study desk, he takes it in the family room with the tv on.  Sometimes he takes it at the mall's food court, or a playground.  I want him to get used to having to concentrate in  the middle of distractions. Always a timer.

• Like 1

I called CB today as well and the representative, while friendly, was extremely unhelpful. She said that because I didn’t have the access code I would have to wait until the paper results came out.

Also, didn’t I read in a thread that we can get our kids’ exam booklets or something? The rep said that we couldn’t. I have a feeling ahe was tired of fielding calls and just told me the least amount/easiest to get me off the phone. 🤔

Yes, you can get the booklet. I went to our school yesterday and asked for one of the booklets. The secretary in the guidance office wasn't sure what I meant, and I heard her calling out to someone in one of the inner offices asking, "Are we giving out PSAT exam booklets?" and the person in the inner office called out, "Yes, anyone who asks can have one. Grab one from the box."

There was a giant box of books. She grabbed one and handed it to me.

Edited by Garga

Yes, you can get the booklet. I went to our school yesterday and asked for one of the booklets. The secretary in the guidance office wasn't sure what I meant, and I heard her calling out to someone in one of the inner offices asking, "Are we giving out PSAT exam booklets?" and the person in the inner office called out, "Yes, anyone who asks can have one. Grab one from the box."

There was a giant box of books. She grabbed one and handed it to me.

So you didn't get the actual booklet your student used? It's my understanding we will be getting the actual booklet. (At least that's what someone from the school told me. I haven't picked it up yet.)

• Like 1

So you didn't get the actual booklet your student used? It's my understanding we will be getting the actual booklet. (At least that's what someone from the school told me. I haven't picked it up yet.)

The school at which DD took the test saved the particular tests for each individual. The counselor emailed and asked whether we wanted to pick up DD's exam booklet right after scores were released to the school. (DD chose not to, as she could check the ones she missed online.)

• Like 1

Look, I live in a small town. :) People aren't super professional around here. Many of the businesses don't have answering machines and the restaurants start putting the chairs on the tables at 7:30 and they close at 8.

There was a giant cardboard box. The litlte old secretary called out to the voice in the other room, "Which booklet do I give 'er?" The voice said, "Just grab one outta that box." "Oh good! I didn't wanna go through all those booklets for a certain one."

And I was like, "I wouldn't want to either! Thanks for the booklet!" And then I left.

I read somewhere that you could get your own booklet, but that's not how they roll around here.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

I'm glad you were able to get a booklet.

Look, I live in a small town. :) People aren't super professional around here. Many of the businesses don't have answering machines and the restaurants start putting the chairs on the tables at 7:30 and they close at 8.

DD took the test at a neighboring school district of just over 120 students K-12 in a town of just over 300 people. Only four kids including her took the test, so there definitely wasn't a big box of tests to go through. The guidance counselor had her pre-address an envelope on the day of the test and she got her very own booklet today in the mail. That's the benefit of taking it in a really, really small town!  :lol:

(Our town is around 3,000 people, but the local school won't let anyone not enrolled full time take the PSAT at the school we pay taxes for.)

• Like 2

DS definitely checked the box -- he just didn't "fit" the boxes that colleges were looking for his sophomore year -- he got mail his junior year.  Swimming is what is taking him places, really.  He's an above average student, with solid test scores.  

DD received her 2nd swimming recruiting letter today (absolutely nothing to do with PSATs), one email from Bard College (?) saying they specialize in students who want to begin college after completing their 10th or 11th grade year, an invite to apply for summer STEM programs at both Duke and UCSB ... I'm pretty sure it all has to do with her being a female with a very high math score.  The only Summer Stem DD is applying to is USNA, though.  She was wait-listed last year.  Maybe this is her year?  

I am. In fact, I will be contacting them again tomorrow, since they opened up an investigation last week.

I'm really tired of waiting  :cursing:  :glare:  :toetap05:

Man, that's really rough! I hope they have some answers for you when you call tomorrow. I wonder what in the world could have happened?!

• Like 1

Man, that's really rough! I hope they have some answers for you when you call tomorrow. I wonder what in the world could have happened?!

Thank you. I have no idea what it could've been.  :confused1:  But, they've GOT to find these scores. When they tell me the reason, I'll share.

I'm trying not to be snarky about it (huge, bloated bureaucratic system, he's just a cog-in-a-wheel, etc, etc, etc...  :rant: )

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 2

So most of you seem to be saying that if you have had Alg I, you should do well on the PSAT ? My school is using Saxon. We had 14 kids take the test ( 4 10th graders and 10 11th graders). Of those students: 3 are in Trig, 9 are in Alg 2 and 2 are in Geometry. Only 1 had scores in the 600's. Two had scores in the low 500's and the rest were middle to upper 400's. They are not doing well. My daughter who was a 10th grader only in Geometry scored as well or better than many in Alg II.... So... Is it Saxon or the teacher? I told my daughter she is doing major KHAN academy work this summer. She isn't happy, but sees the need. The thing is that this math teacher actually has her liking math. She hated math when I was teaching it. She loves the teacher, but obviously there is a problem.

My dd has used Saxon since algebra 1/2. She did DE precalculus after advanced math and aced it. She did extremely well on the PSAT, ACT and SAT. I'm vey confident in Saxon.

So most of you seem to be saying that if you have had Alg I, you should do well on the PSAT ?

I'm not sure those scores are terribly unusual considering where the students were at in the sequence.  Did the 11th graders do any test prep prior to the PSAT?  I'm a little reluctant to judge any particular math program by standardized test scores, even a whole class-full.

FWIW, my strong math student saw a large increase in PSAT score junior year, while early in precalc, after having finished algebra 2.  I'm not sure how much of that increase was simply being further along in the sequence and how much was the concurrent SAT prep, but I can't imagine it was all owed to prep.

FWIW, my strong math student saw a large increase in PSAT score junior year, while early in precalc, after having finished algebra 2.

My boys saw a similar large increase between their sophomore year PSAT & junior year PSAT, after they had finished Algebra 2 in 10th grade.

• Like 1

I think only Reg & I debated this. I still maintain, based on what I've seen, that while you have to be solid on Alg 1 concepts, that for a "top score", you also need to be solid on several Alg 2 concepts. I wonder if Reg's point is that you've seen the concept already (and his kids, having been introduced to the concepts, would know them well) and mine would be that the large amount of practice (manipulations/familiarity) in Alg 2 get you where you need to be to score well. My kids need to see things over & over & over & over again (in every subject, pretty much) in order to get them down. This has been true of learning to read, math, and history!

I will say that there is very little Algebra 2 content on these tests, but your daughter MUST know Algebra 1 through-and-through to get a high score on the math section.  Of course there are other areas of math that are important, as well.  Khan Academy is great for finding areas of weakness and working on improving those areas.  Taking practice tests on paper is also important to train for the actual test.

Hmm. Interesting. I would have said there is very little geometry on the SAT (and PSAT), but in order to get a high(er) score on the math section, she'd have to get through several key Alg 2 concepts.

• Like 1

So most of you seem to be saying that if you have had Alg I, you should do well on the PSAT ?   My school is using Saxon.   We had 14 kids take the test ( 4 10th graders and 10 11th graders).   Of those students: 3 are in Trig, 9 are in Alg 2 and 2 are in Geometry.  Only 1 had scores in the 600's.  Two had scores in the low 500's and the rest were middle to upper 400's.    They are not doing well.  My daughter who was a 10th grader only in Geometry scored as well or better than many in Alg II....   So...   Is it Saxon or the teacher?  I told my daughter she is doing major KHAN academy work this summer.  She isn't happy, but sees the need.  The thing is that this math teacher actually has her liking math.  She hated math when I was teaching it.  She loves the teacher, but obviously there is a problem.     

I wonder if any of the kids prepped though? I really do think that a major part of doing exceptionally well on the PSAT is being prepared for the specifics of the PSAT format; that's true of most of the standardized tests, in my opinion. There is the rare kid who can pop out a high score cold, but that person is the exception.

I would be reluctant to blame the teacher or the curriculum.

I also had a couple of lessons on how to use a graphing calculator since they didn't know.

My dd didn't use a graphing calculator. She just used a regular scientific calculator that she was familiar with. Anything else would have slowed her down and confused her more. I'm assuming they all know how to use a regular scientific calculator and that would have been all they needed for the math-with-calculator portion.

ETA:  I like analogies and this one isn't great, but I'd say that this would be like teaching someone how to use one of those bevel miter saws when they really needed instruction on how to measure correctly and practice making clean cuts with just a regular saw. No criticism for trying to teach them something new, but I'd say these kids aren't solid on fundamentals they needed.

Edited by RootAnn

Yes. All but 3 of the 11th graders took a practice PSAT. Many of them scored in the 300's. I went over math tricks and then I had them do Khan academy. I then gave them a second practice test. I also had a couple of lessons on how to use a graphing calculator since they didn't know.

Now the 10th graders weren't in my class and had no prep. But the thing is that most of their verbal scores were in the 600's

How did they do on the second practice test compared to how they did on the PSAT itself?

I do agree with RootAnn that a graphing calculator would not be helpful.

So most of you seem to be saying that if you have had Alg I, you should do well on the PSAT ?   My school is using Saxon.   We had 14 kids take the test ( 4 10th graders and 10 11th graders).   Of those students: 3 are in Trig, 9 are in Alg 2 and 2 are in Geometry.  Only 1 had scores in the 600's.  Two had scores in the low 500's and the rest were middle to upper 400's.    They are not doing well.  

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/pdf/psat-nmsqt-understanding-scores.pdf

According to the College Board, a 500 on the math portion is 68% for 10th grade PSAT takers and 52% for 11th grade. Sounds like the majority are scoring right around average (above/below - possibly as low as 32% for a 450 for an 11th grader, but 47% for a 10th grader). While I see that you are concerned that their scores for the EBRW section doesn't match, that isn't that unusual. I'm not saying that they can't do better. I would assume they could improve their score. However, it is possible that the 11th graders' math scores won't be as high as their EBRW scores without significant targeted prep work. (The 10th graders have more time to learn how to take the math portion and prep for the test.) 

No additional fee necessary. The online score report & the paper one list the answer the kid gave & the correct one. The online portal even gives you the question & why each answer was wrong/right. The school should give the students back their actual booklet so even if they don't have access to online stuff, they have their paper report and their original booklet.

Isn't it possible to get information about which problems were missed, maybe for an additional fee?  It might be worth it to track down the knowledge they lack.  

• Like 3

No additional fee necessary. The online score report & the paper one list the answer the kid gave & the correct one. The online portal even gives you the question & why each answer was wrong/right. The school should give the students back their actual booklet so even if they don't have access to online stuff, they have their paper report and their original booklet.

Wherein I ask stupid questions likely answered elsewhere...

Is the “your paper booklet back†a PSAT thing? Can I somehow have that info for, say, the May SAT? For ACT, each June administration gives you the opportunity to buy the booklet and the score report telling you what the student marked and the correct answer. We’re too lazy to work out the missed ones, but it was fascinating reading for me.

• Like 1

And each student can port his/her scores to Khan Academy and get an individualized study program. Or at least that's what they advertise. :)

Wherein I ask stupid questions likely answered elsewhere...

Is the “your paper booklet back†a PSAT thing? Can I somehow have that info for, say, the May SAT?

Not a stupid question at all. The SAT offers that same type of service as the ACT, only in certain months. Make sure it is called the right thing. (I got the pared down version accidentally since the bigger version wasn't available the month dd took the SAT.)

The Question-and-Answer Service is basically a full disclosure guide to your scores. It includes:

A booklet copy of the test that you took, including all the original questions.

A table of correct answers and scoring information for the questions.

A comprehensive report that lists the question type and level of difficulty for each test question. This report also shows your answers and whether you answered correctly, incorrectly, or omitted the question.[/ul]

And yes, you can link your PSAT results to Khan and it will suggest what types of questions you need to work on. It isn't perfect, but it is helpful and free.

Historymatters: Did you get a hold of anyone today?

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

Yep, there was a bubble to fill that says something like, "I am homeschooled." The instructions say to NOT bubble in a code.

And if the test administrator makes the students bubble in the school code after they check the homeschooled box, the homeschooled box overrides it. That was the case when my daughter took the test this fall, and her score report has the Texas homeschool code on it, not the public school code that she was made to fill in.

• Like 1

I've got the them for the juniors that are in my class as well as my daughter.  I will certainly analyze them to see what they lack.  I guess it just bothers me that particularly the honors kids that I don't have scored in the 650's and above for reading but then 460 for math and one of them is "good at math."  They are in precal at school.   

I had a similar feeling a year ago when 2 advanced homeschooled girls joined my MathCounts team.  They were both taking precalculus in 8th grade.  Wow.  I was excited to have a couple of superstars (and girls!) on my team.  

Well it turns out these advanced and accelerated math students just didn't have the problem solving skills to keep up.  One girl dropped out of the team.  Another got lower scores than a 6th grade boy, who wasn't all that, but did have about a year of problem solving experience, albeit at the MOEMS level.  

• Like 2

Not a stupid question at all. The SAT offers that same type of service as the ACT, only in certain months. Make sure it is called the right thing. (I got the pared down version accidentally since the bigger version wasn't available the month dd took the SAT.)

And yes, you can link your PSAT results to Khan and it will suggest what types of questions you need to work on. It isn't perfect, but it is helpful and free.

Historymatters: Did you get a hold of anyone today?

Thank you so much for remembering! 

Yes, I did. The investigation turned up that the reason why his scores aren't available is that my dear, darling son, put neither his birth-date on his form, nor our house number  :huh: . The latter is excusable: we had just moved 2 mths prior to his taking the test. But the goober-head forgot to write in his bday  :glare: !

So, now I have to scan a copy of his birth certificate (I told them I was there!) and his license for picture ID. As soon as they receive those, they can link his account and then, they'll get back with me.  :svengo:

The adventure continues...

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Lol. We just got ds's test scores.  We finally had to put in a call to College Board.  He had tried to input my email address instead of his email address and butchered it.

Somewhat not surprisingly, he did really well as a 10th grader.  He has some motivation to study for next year; NM is in the range of possibility.  He just needs to work on data analysis.

• Like 5