Menu

Is Beast 5 necessary?

AmandaVT

I have a bit of an unexpected dilemma. DS is finishing up Beast 4D in the next couple of weeks. I had planned on ordering 5A-D to start next. 

Then, on a local homeschooling FB page, a mom was selling AOPS pre-algebra for $20, gently used and I jumped on it. Both the book and the answer key. 

Can I have DS go from 4D to pre-algebra? It would certainly be a lot more cost-effective if I didn't have to purchase BA5. I was looking through older threads here and it seemed like it was pretty common to move right to Pre-A before the 5 series of books came out. 

Too much of a jump?

I've heard of others skipping BA 5 to go straight to AoPS before without issue.  It was mostly back when BA 5 wasn't complete/available, though.  I don't think you'd have trouble with missing anything major, but you could have him to the prealgebra placement test to make sure.

The bigger problem may be just the change from a cute, kid-oriented math designed to be fun for younger students to a dry textbook written for a somewhat older audience.  He may *like* BA more.  At least, that's been our experience with the BA to AoPS transition.  My kid definitely benefited from that final level of BA before starting prealgebra.

• Like 5

I think it's do-able but might be a slog in places. DS found many things he did in BA 5 to be in AOPS preA, but he still learned a great deal more in AOPS. So yes, I think you could skip BA5, but if it were me I'd do BA 5 and then preA

ETA might want to read Richard Ruczyk's "The Calculus Trap"

Edited by Targhee
  • Like 1

My kiddo has finished SM5 along with CWP and IP and could probably make the jump to AOPS Pre-A. However, I have listened to RR speak and been convicted about going wider and deeper rather than faster. Currently, he finishing up BA5. I plan to go thorugh JA and MHE and wander around while in math with some other resources before doing PA. It's important to me for him to explore, play and enjoy math.

• Like 3

You might be able to do it ... but I wouldn't unless your kid was starting to think Beast was "babyish" or already in 6th grade. I think more time with math being in a fun way will reinforce the joy of problem-solving and also make pre-algebra easier than otherwise. 

• Like 1

Thank you, for the replies! 

I'll go ahead and order Beast 5 as planned. It sounded like a good idea for a minute, but my original plan was to stick with Beast and there's no reason to start the Pre-A book before Beast 5 except that I was feeling cheap.  :laugh:  The thought of not having to shell out $$ for the last level of Beast was tempting, but DS does love the monsters and just because he could move ahead, doesn't mean it's the best idea. 

• Like 3