Menu

Chemistry: Elemental Science or RS4K? Need to make a quick decision

Maryam

I’d like reviews of either or both of these as soon as possible please! [emoji4] We live overseas but we’re in the States now for our visit, which is the time of year I order my homeschooling books to take back with me for next year. My dd will be in 5h grade so I guess I’m looking at logic stage. Thanks, hive!

We loved RS4K chemistry for middle school. My only issue was the experiment to make the cabbage water litmus test papers. There are only ten experiments/lessons. There's room to do two books a semester or supplement with science kits (we like the Science Wiz kits for this age.). We loved the explanations in the books and the chemical reactions. The first experiment, however, was boring.

We have used Elemental Science biology. It is definitely more involved and a full 36 weeks with writing assignments, etc. The readings are mostly out of the encyclopedias. My kids want to get more hands on, but I struggle with getting it all done. rS4K was more doable for me, but we may use ES again for biology grammar stage.

Both are solid approaches. Which one looks more fun to you? Do you want to do chemistry for a full 36 weeks or do some other projects or another subject too?

• Like 1