Menu

23 and me - blackfriday

gardenmom5

it's on sale on the 23andme website for $150 - HOWEVER, it's on the black friday (friday only) amazon for $99 with free/prime shipping.

I've been looking at these, and this is the one if you want health.

anyone know how easily it can be uploaded to ancestry for genealogy?

• Like 1

Mini freak out over here.  I ordered the basic kit from the site as a gift for dh this morning.  Saw this post and immediately canceled my order.  Went to hit the Amazon button and remembered dh gets notifications from Alexa on every Amazon order.  He's supposed to fix that for holiday shopping season, but he's still asleep so I can't find out if he did yet!

:cursing:

Thank you for the tip!

• Like 1

23And Me cannot be uploaded to ancestry.com, you would have to buy the ancestry.com kit for that.

23AndMe CAN be uploaded to GEDMATCH, Family Tree DNA (there is a fee to unlock full features), MyHeritage, and Geni.

Edited by maize

Mini freak out over here.  I ordered the basic kit from the site as a gift for dh this morning.  Saw this post and immediately canceled my order.  Went to hit the Amazon button and remembered dh gets notifications from Alexa on every Amazon order.  He's supposed to fix that for holiday shopping season, but he's still asleep so I can't find out if he did yet!

:cursing:

Thank you for the tip!

$50 is $50 bucks. or as my dh would say, it's more, becasue you're not paying taxes  (fica, ss, etc) on that $50.

23And Me cannot be uploaded to ancestry.com, you would have to buy the ancestry.com kit for that.

23AndMe CAN be uploaded to GEDMATCH, Family Tree DNA (there is a fee to unlock full features), MyHeritage, and Geni.

I saw it could be uploaded to gedmatch.  can you tell me more?

By the way you can get the cheaper ancestry only 23AndMe service and have the exact same raw data.

does that include the health stuff?

oh - here's the wiki page that compares the five biggest testing companies.

23&me, ftdna, ancestrydna etc.

https://isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart

eta: this site https://www.exploringlifesmysteries.com/23andme-vs-ancestry-vs-ftdna-vs-geno-2-0/ likes ftdna best for genealogy, also having a sale.

Edited by gardenmom5

$50 is $50 bucks. or as my dh would say, it's more, becasue you're not paying taxes (fica, ss, etc) on that $50.

I saw it could be uploaded to gedmatch. can you tell me more?

does that include the health stuff?

Yes, the SNP data is the same in 23andMe's ancestry and health versions. If you don't pay for health you don't get their analysis of the data, but that is rather limited anyway. You can still look up the SNP's yourself in your raw data, or run them through third party analysis sites like genetic genie and promethease.

dh is so sweet. I was stressing so much over which one, and had to explain to him that: yes, there really is a difference.

he said get both.

ARRRRRGGGGG

What do you most want out of it?

I manage profiles for family members on each of the major services.

Am i understanding ? If I'm interested in health data the 23&me ancestry will give me enough data?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

23&me is the one recognized for health info.   has the most snps, etc.   which is why I was interested in it.  their ancestry data is generally regarded as more accurate.   their black friday deal - was only on black friday.  I spent way too much time researching it friday . .(after dabbling in it over previous months.)

- oh, for cyber monday - you can get two kits on their site for $199.  (their normal price.  amazon is normally $150 -  cyber monday for $129)

ancestrydna has the best genealogy web connections.  (provided you have an ancestry account, they often have free trials.)

amazon is $54 for their deal of the day.

my dd did 23andme in 2013.  she recently submitted it to gedmatch - but hasn't received any results.

eta: I should be more specific.  23andme has TWO different tests.  one is 23andme ancestry.  the other is 23andme health + ancestry.  if you want health data - you need to do the 2nd test that has health in its name.

the raw data from most tests can be uploaded to promethease, my understanding is it doesn't have as much information becasue of what the original vendor includes in their dna profiles.

Edited by gardenmom5

23&me is the one recognized for health info. has the most snps, etc. which is why I was interested in it. their ancestry data is generally regarded as more accurate. their black friday deal - was only on black friday. I spent way too much time researching it friday . .(after dabbling in it over previous months.)

- oh, for cyber monday - you can get two kits on their site for $199. (their normal price. amazon is normally $150 - cyber monday for $129)

ancestrydna has the best genealogy web connections. (provided you have an ancestry account, they often have free trials.)

amazon is $54 for their deal of the day.

my dd did 23andme in 2013. she recently submitted it to gedmatch - but hasn't received any results.

eta: I should be more specific. 23andme has TWO different tests. one is 23andme ancestry. the other is 23andme health + ancestry. if you want health data - you need to do the 2nd test that has health in its name.

the raw data from most tests can be uploaded to promethease, my understanding is it doesn't have as much information becasue of what the original vendor includes in their dna profiles.

I would like to clarify:if you want 23AndMe's health analysis you need the health service; the raw DNA data you receive is exactly the same for health and ancestry services (this way if you later choose to upgrade to their health service they don't have to re-run the DNA SNP testing process).

For things like MTHFR running the raw data from a 23andMe ancestry test through a third party analysis service works fine and is cheaper than paying for their health service, which is rather limited because they are only allowed to tell you about stuff the government has approved their analysis of.

Am i understanding ? If I'm interested in health data the 23&me ancestry will give me enough data?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yes, 23and Me ancestry gives you the same raw DNA SNP data as their health service does. The extra $ for the health service do not pay for additional data, they pay for analysis.

Edited by maize

https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/202908020-23andMe-Service-Options

Note they only mention additional reports and tools in the health service as compared to the ancestry service; not additional data.

I tested back when they were only offering the ancestry service because the FDA had banned them from providing health data; when the FDA approved some of their health reports they automatically upgraded the accounts of those who bought during that time so I ended up with the health reports.

But the most useful health information has come from running their raw data through other services such as Genetic Genie.