Menu

It's safe to put unopened canned food in the fridge to chill, right?

1GirlTwinBoys

If the can is unopened, I don't see how that could be a problem.  Although I haven't eaten Cranberry Sauce for a long time (we live in South America) I remember eating it when it was Cold.  I think we did once bring back a Can from the USA for a Thanksgiving Dinner here...   Possibly I've also eaten Cranberry Sauce when it was hot, but it's been awhile...  

Why would that possibly be a problem??? 

Maybe this: 

Dissolution of tin into the food[edit]

Tin is corrosion resistant, but acidic food like fruits and vegetables can corrode the tin layer. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea have been reported after ingesting canned food containing 200 mg/kg of tin.[15] A 2002 study showed that 99.5% of 1200 tested cans contained below the UK regulatory limit of 200 mg/kg of tin, an improvement over most previous studies largely attributed to the increased use of fully lacquered cans for acidic foods, and concluded that the results do not raise any long term food safety concerns for consumers. The two non-compliant products were voluntarily recalled.[16]

Evidence of tin impurities can be indicated by color, as in the case of pears, but lack of color change does not guarantee that a food is not tainted with tin.[17]

Bisphenol-A[edit]
Main article: Bisphenol-A
220px-Bisphenol_A.svg.png

The chemical compound Bisphenol A found in can linings "...is associated with organizational changes in the prostate, breast, testis, mammary glands, body size, brain structure and chemistry, and behavior of laboratory animals",[18] unborn children and adults.

Bisphenol-A (BPA) is a toxic chemical compound present in commercially available tin can plastic linings[19] and transferred to canned food. The inside of the can is coated with an epoxy coating, in an attempt to prevent food or beverage from coming into contact with the metal. The longer food is in a can, and the warmer and more acidic it is, the more BPA leaches into it. In September 2010, Canada became the first country to declare BPA a toxic substance.[20][21] In the European Union and Canada, BPA use is banned in baby bottles. The FDA does not regulate BPA (see Bisphenol A#US public health regulatory history). Several companies, like Campbell's Soup, announced plans to eliminate BPA from the linings of their cans,[19] but have not said which chemical they plan to replace it with. (See Bisphenol A#Chemical manufacturers reactions to bans.)[citation needed]

What has any of this stuff you pasted to do with putting the can in the fridge???

Maybe this: 

Dissolution of tin into the food[edit]

Tin is corrosion resistant, but acidic food like fruits and vegetables can corrode the tin layer. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea have been reported after ingesting canned food containing 200 mg/kg of tin.[15] A 2002 study showed that 99.5% of 1200 tested cans contained below the UK regulatory limit of 200 mg/kg of tin, an improvement over most previous studies largely attributed to the increased use of fully lacquered cans for acidic foods, and concluded that the results do not raise any long term food safety concerns for consumers. The two non-compliant products were voluntarily recalled.[16]

Evidence of tin impurities can be indicated by color, as in the case of pears, but lack of color change does not guarantee that a food is not tainted with tin.[17]

Bisphenol-A[edit]
Main article: Bisphenol-A
The chemical compound Bisphenol A found in can linings "...is associated with organizational changes in the prostate, breast, testis, mammary glands, body size, brain structure and chemistry, and behavior of laboratory animals",[18] unborn children and adults.

Bisphenol-A (BPA) is a toxic chemical compound present in commercially available tin can plastic linings[19] and transferred to canned food. The inside of the can is coated with an epoxy coating, in an attempt to prevent food or beverage from coming into contact with the metal. The longer food is in a can, and the warmer and more acidic it is, the more BPA leaches into it. In September 2010, Canada became the first country to declare BPA a toxic substance.[20][21] In the European Union and Canada, BPA use is banned in baby bottles. The FDA does not regulate BPA (see Bisphenol A#US public health regulatory history). Several companies, like Campbell's Soup, announced plans to eliminate BPA from the linings of their cans,[19] but have not said which chemical they plan to replace it with. (See Bisphenol A#Chemical manufacturers reactions to bans.)[citation needed]

• Like 3

My impression (I've never researched the science) is that the introduction of air is what makes storing opened cans in the fridge bad.  I don't know that that's *fridge* dependent, specifically, but who would store an open can outside of the fridge?

I chill my unopened cranberry sauce every year, just like my mother and grandmother before me.  I made it through my 41st Thanksgiving just fine.  :thumbup1: