Menu

For fun...share a holiday food disaster

Ginevra

I am debating about making a Banana Cream Pie today, in addition to the Cherry and Pecan I am already committed to and the Pumpkin I made last night. But it brings to mind a pie-tastrophy from my early 20s...

I had been dating DH for a year or two and I offered to bring something for Christmas dinner. My future MIL casually requested I bring a Coconut Cream Pie. Ok, people, I did not have the foggiest notion of how one makes such a thing. Not the faintest idea. And this was before Pioneer Woman and You Tube and asking the all-knowing Hive. Cream pies were not even in the vernacular of my family of origin, much less had I ever done it myself.

But man I tried! I stirred the mixture together on the stove, paranoid I would burn the cream and having no experiential idea of what Ă¢â‚¬Å“starts to thickenĂ¢â‚¬ meant. As my mixture sat there, neither burning nor thickening, I began to cry. My future SIL walked in and tried to help me, soothing my pride by saying, Ă¢â‚¬Å“donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t worry about it. Mom thinks every girl knows how to make pies.Ă¢â‚¬

It never did set. It was coconut cream soup in a pie shell. My future MIL had the good manners to compliment the taste, while feigning unawareness that eating it from a bowl with a spoon is not quite traditional!

If I could have a do-over, I would confidently confess that Coconut Cream Pie was not in my repertoire (it wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t!) and could I make something I was more familiar with (as in, had ever seen before), such as pumpkin? Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€º

• Like 8

Haha!  

The first year my mom got a fancy oven with digital display, she managed to set the temp but not press the "go" button.  After four hours in a cold oven, big surprise, the turkey was still raw. I have no idea how she failed to notice the oven was COLD when she opened to check things...  lol.  

I have yet to mess up a holiday meal, knock on wood, but as a high schooler, the first time I made food for a group of friends I managed to boil angel hair pasta for 10 minutes instead of the 4 suggested on the package.  When I poured it into the colander, it just stayed all gummed together and I had to cut wedge-shape pieces out of a colander shaped mass of overcooked pasta and serve it.  It was pretty hilarious.  Then when serving the brownies, someone discovered a HUGE clump of hair in theirs.  Like as though someone had cleaned their hairbrush, then thrown it into the batter.  I had a pretty sort bob at the time, so I'm convinced the mix came pre-haired form the factory!!!!!  

Old friends STILL tease me about that meal!

• Like 5

Ok, the meal itself wasn't bad, and this is from my childhood, but ...

One Christmas, we decided to have roast duck. We had raised ducks that year, so they were quacking outside. We chopped off their heads about midday on Christmas Eve. My mother, who had never plucked anything before, started to pluck them. And pluck them. And pluck them. At 4am Christmas Day, when she was exhausted and near tears, she said "Skin the ****ers" and went to bed. We had roasted skinless duck that year. Bacon makes a good skin. 

• Like 7

The first year my mom got a fancy oven with digital display, she managed to set the temp but not press the "go" button. After four hours in a cold oven, big surprise, the turkey was still raw. I have no idea how she failed to notice the oven was COLD when she opened to check things... lol.

Hah! I did something similar when I got my new set of double ovens, only it mercifully was not an important meal. I think it was a pan of french fries. I turned on the bottom oven but put the pan in the top oven and Ă¢â‚¬Å“bakedĂ¢â‚¬ it for twenty minutes before I realized my mistake. And I did think to myself, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Geez, Danielle, you didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t realize you were putting a pan into a cold oven?Ă¢â‚¬

• Like 2

One thanksgiving we ate at my sister's house. My sister, who did not cook. Unbeknownst to me, she expected me to do the cooking, just at her house. I went to cook the turkey and all she had was a disposable roasting pan. Fine, where is a cookie sheet to put it on? Nowhere. She did not own a cookie sheet. And if you read the instructions on the disposable pan it says that it NEEDS to be on a cookie sheet, for stability. I figured surely it was fine, and carried on. And when we lifted the pan to put it in the oven (by the handles) it buckled and the turkey fell out and went rolling across the floor!

My sister screamed, "don't move!" and ran into the other room, to get a broom or something I thought. 

She came back with a  camera instead, and fully documented the incident, lol. 

(we ended up washing the turkey off and starting over again....I don't remember how we ended up bracing that pan, but we must have because we didn't drop the turkey again.)

And I'm still flabbergasted that a grown adult, who owns their own home, didn't own a cookie sheet. 

• Like 9

This involves not cooking. When I was a kid we used to go to Grandma's for Thanksgiving. We would be gone for five days. As a result my mom would clean out our refrigerator beforehand. We left Wed afternoon. We got caught in a huge blizzard. We live mid Atlantic. We don't have blizzards in November. My grandparents farm was not near an interstate at the time (a new interstate was built in the late 70s). So we and hundreds of others were crawling along through various small towns until everything was impassable. Then we sat and it was cold. We were in a Chrysler Valiant, three kids and our dog. The local fire department picked us up and we spent the night in the fire house with a few hundred other people. In the morning my dad decided the roads going back home were passable. We turned around and never made it to Grandma's.

We got home to an empty refrigerator. This was very early 70s. No grocery stores were open. No restaurants. I think my parents were contemplating the possibility they might not be able to feed three kids until the next day. My dad left and drove around a long time. He found a 7-11 that was open (7-11 wasn't open 24 hours or even every day back then) and bought hot dogs to cook.

• Like 6

My worst, I've probably told before, we tried to make a pavlova one year. 

We were in Brazil, and didn't have turkey or marshmallows (to put on sweet potatoes) or basically any of our traditional things, and Thanksgiving isn't a holiday there anyway, and our kids were little enough that we honestly didn't have really established "this is what we do on Thanksgiving" things anyway. So, that year, we picked things from one of the cookbooks I had; everyone picked something, and one son picked to make the pavlova (we were studying the eastern hemisphere that year). 

Now, you have to realize, I don't bake. At all. So, I did not own an electric mixer. At all. And had never made a meringue before of any sort, let alone a dish where the whole thing is a meringue. So I was kind of doomed from the start. 

Add in the fact my oven didn't actually go to a low enough temperature to cook the pavlova as directed. And my oven had a basic "range" marked on the knob, anyway, not exact temperatures, and I didn't have an oven thermometer, so the oven temp was kind of a best guess all the time, but still...the lowest range on the knob didn't include a low enough temperature for the pavlova. 

Nevertheless, I persisted. I'm not about to let pesky things like whipping egg whites by hand or too high temperatures deter me, no sir. Not when my kiddo asked for this. 

So, I whipped. With a fork, because I did not even have a whisk. Oh, did I whip. For hours. 

Finally, when it was nearing "it must go in the oven now, or it won't be ready in time to put in the duck...." time, I had what might be called soft peaks, but probably not stiff peaks. I decided that was as good as it was going to get, and began adding the flavorings (vanilla, and whatever else it told me to add). 

At which point, I grabbed a small brown bottle and measured in the dark liquid and poured it in. 

At which point, my middle son was watching, thank goodness, and realized I had grabbed the iodine, not the vanilla. 

At which point, I still did not give up, but dumped it out, started the mixture over again, and my chemist husband suggested I toss it in the blender to mix. Which of course didn't lead to any kinds of peaks at all, but at this point I was out of options. Nevermind I still had to make whipped cream. Ha!

The whole runny thing got poured in a 9 x 13 pan, topped with fresh strawberries, thrown into the too hot oven and then refrigerated. It tasted good, but was more the texture of a cross between a brownie and a brittle (very chewy), everyone was nice about it (it was just us, thank goodness) and we still laugh about it....and I have never tried to make a meringue again, lol, although I do now own the proper equipment. 

• Like 8

When I was a teenager, my dad made two pecan pies one year for thanksgiving. He set both pies to bake on one bar pan, to catch the drips.

When they were done, he started to take them out of the oven, but touched the pan with his hand (like on the edge of the hotpad) which made him jerk his hand, which unbalanced the bar pan, which sent two molten hot pecan pies flying through the air ( All in slow motion) and onto the the carpeted kitchen floor!!! It was so sad! My dad may have let fly a few bad words, but then just started laughing and laughing....

the carpet came out a few months later (we had just moved in to a great old house with a variety of questionable Ă¢â‚¬Å“updatesĂ¢â‚¬)

• Like 6

One year I was making pumpkin pie and sweet potato biscuits, both in metal bowls and somehow I switched the bowls half way through the ingredient adding process. Stffest, crumbliest "pumpkin pie" ever. The biscuits were edible, though. That was the year of the infamous Bis-pie.

Another year I thought I would try Monkey Bread at my in-laws. Set the oven on fire.

A different year I was trying Pavlovas and as I put the shells in the oven the evening before Thanksgiving I read the part of the recipe where you are NOT to open the oven for the next 12 hours. She worked around that.

• Like 5

My favorite family story is the family meal when my aunt was assigned to bring the turkey. When she arrived to my grandparents house, she had no turkey. When asked why: "it was too big to fit in the car." It's been the most epic turkey ever since.

For my own holiday disasters, it was probably the last time I made thanksgiving. We were smoking a turkey, not for the first time. But dh had told me that the turkey was cooking much faster than expected and was already at a near done temp - so I got busy and got all the other side dishes ready for us to eat hours early.

When it was time bring in the turkey, he wanted me to come out and double check his temp measurements. And the turkey is not at all hot enough to eat and won't be for hours!!!

So that year we had turkey for dessert because everything else was hot and ready. Like we even had pie and later had turkey all by itself. Lol.

• Like 9

Hehe, dh's first attempt at banana cream pie a week ago didn't thicken! He is attempting it again today.

Every Easter my dad and I make a lamb cake, just a frosted yellow cake shaped like a lamb. One year, when I was pretty young I convinced them I was old enough to carry the cake from our car to my grandmother's house. We went back and forth before they agreed to let me because in my words, " I was old enough to carry a silly cake!" I take a single step out of the car and the cake lands on the lawn.

• Like 6

Not quite a holiday food desaster but kind of... When I was a young teenager my mother worked two days a week and I was home alone. One time I decided to make meringue as a surprise for my parents. I am talking about those hard, light, puffy ones you eat on their own (not as part of a cake or anything). Problem was, my mother didn't bake, ever, so I had never seen what beaten egg white looked like and even though we had a handheld mixer I had no clue how it worked (or that I needed one). So I beat the egg whites (which probably had some yolk in it anyway) by hand for a long time until some small bubbles appeared. Given how much work it had been I figured that was what they were looking for so I spread them on the cookie sheet an baked. They were basically just thin splotches of egg white with sugar mixed in. Totally disgusting!

• Like 4

Not my story, but SIL, and I can empathize. One year she was doing Thanksgiving for the entire extended family, and had procured a 25 lb bird. Frozen. She followed instructions to let it thaw in the fridge for several days....you know where this is going, don't you? Come Thanksgiving morning that bird was still rock hard frozen solid as a witch's cruel heart. SIl had to run out to the grocery store in a panic, praying there would be one fresh bird left in stock. There was - just not nearly big enough for the crowd gathering to eat that day. Oh well.

I have NEVER attempted to fridge thaw a bird since her experience. Either buy fresh if I can, or stick the frozen bird in a cooler of water for 24 - 48 hours.

• Like 4

We had already eaten, so it wasn't as disastrous as it could have been, but one year SIL'S dog pulled down the (expensive) Christmas ham and dug in. And then hurled it up all over my in law's perfect carpeting...in 3 different rooms.

We still refer to it as the year that Maggie ate the Christmas ham.

Wishing you all a disaster free Thanksgiving!

• Like 6

My brother and SIL were back to nature hippies back in the day. I went to visit them in their log cabin with no electricity for Thanksgiving.

My brother had done some work for a local farmer in exchange for a live turkey. He killed the turkey and then handed the dead bird to SIL and me. We plucked and plucked but couldnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t get the stupid pin feathers out. So finally we decided to put the darn thing, pin feathers and all, into the wood stove oven. It caught fire. So I grabbed the box of baking soda and dumped it on the flaming bird to put it out. Fortunately the bird was cooked through because we brushed off all the sooty baking soda - and ate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

My uncle and sister had a running argument over who get the first peice of lemon meringue pie each Thanksgiving.  One year, my uncle showed up with a lemon meringue pie he had made as a "peace offering" for my sister, and he let her have the first slice.  Yeah.  He had made the crust out of crushed dog food.  

One Christmas my husband invited a fmaily from his work to our house for Christmas Eve.  They had just moved to the area and had no family nearby, so he thought it would be great to have dinner with them.  I made a giant turkey - which I cook in a turkey bag in our roaster.  The men took the delicious smelling turkey out of the roaster, and I hear the co-worker say, "What is that on the bottom?"  Um... when we set the turkey down on the counter to slide it into the bag, we set it down really hard on a FORK, and the tines got stuck in the turkey skin, and I had cooked the fork in the turkey.  

We just yanked the fork out and ate it.  But I was so embarassed!

• Like 4

Not a holiday, but my grandfather-in-law almost killed himself. He wasn't an experienced kitchen user, so when he was left home alone he simply put a premade pie in the oven to cook. 

The problem was this was back in the day when you could pie a premade meat pie in a tin can. So he put a unopened tin can of meat pie in a hot oven. When it was done he walked to the kitchen to check on it. The pressure had built up and it exploded blowing the door off the oven and almost onto my grandfather-inlaw. 

• Like 2

We had already eaten, so it wasn't as disastrous as it could have been, but one year SIL'S dog pulled down the (expensive) Christmas ham and dug in. And then hurled it up all over my in law's perfect carpeting...in 3 different rooms.

We still refer to it as the year that Maggie ate the Christmas ham.

Wishing you all a disaster free Thanksgiving!

One time, when I was a kid, my mother pain-stakingly made a birthday cake for my brother in the shape or a wooden soldier. His birthday is near (sometimes on) Thanksgiving. It was beautifully decorated with red and black icing. Then we went to church.

Upon arriving home, our white dog met us at the door with a red face. The dog had entirely eaten the wooden soldier birthday cake! And yes, we did later find out just how badly an entire cake with red icing disagreed with that dog...

ETA: tag incompetence

Edited by Quill
  • Like 2

Well it looks like dh's second attempt at banana cream pie is a flop too. We'll see in a bit if it firms up more

Aww, boo! I ended up not making one; the other pies are sufficient.

You guys are cracking me up.  Good thing because I am really sick with a cold.  Dh is doing most of the cooking today.  Dd was supposed to be helping me with the pies.  I was too sick to make them yesterday, so I tried to make them today.  Dd slept in and I lost track of time.  The pies were supposed to be out of the oven by noon so that the turkey could go in.  Well, the pies won't be done until 2, so we won't be stuffing the turkey, but will have dressing on the side.  And that the crimped edges of the pumpkin pie fell off and were burning in the oven.  

There was the time I made sweet potato souffle, only it didn't set and it was sweet potato soup.  And the time when, in the process of transferring all the food to the dining room table, someone took their eyes off Bear who managed to snag my freshly baked loaf of bread and run through the house with it.  And the time dh put cumin instead of cinnamon into the pumpkin pie.  

And the time I was having a party for my work team in my new apartment.  I was in my early 20s at the time and most of the people on my team were in their 20s.  I made a huge pan of lasagne, only didn''t realize that it would take much longer to cook if you doubled the size of the pan.  Well, after 90 minutes, it still wasn't cooked.  (Cue the Bridget Jones Diary comparisons.)   The adult beverages had been flowing and the guests were getting  hungry and tipsy.  I put out the sides and someone found my pan of jello in the fridge for dessert.   Only we had run out of utensils (more people showed up than planned) and they started using their hands to eat jello ... which led to not eating jello, but stuffing it down people's shirts (adult beverages, empty stomachs.)   The next day, I got to work and sent an email to my team about the party, and made a comment about the jello shenanigans ... only the email didn't go to my team, it went to the entire company.  The president of the company stopped by my cubicle and said "So, you're the Ellen with the jello.  I want to party with you!"  (I am a grown up now.  I promise.)  

• Like 6

And the time dh put cumin instead of cinnamon into the pumpkin pie.  

Oh - this reminds me of the time that I tried to make garlic  mashed potatoes and instead of garlic powder I accidentally put in mustard powder.  Mustard mashed potatoes are not tasty! 

How did I mess up that quote?  It was from Ellen's post. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 2

Last year IĂ¯Â¸ made the most beautiful pie crust, perfectly rolled out and crimped on the edges and everything. IĂ¯Â¸ was so proud IĂ¯Â¸ sent pictures to my Mom. Anyway, It had just come out of the oven and was cooling down, but it was getting late and IĂ¯Â¸ wanted to fill it before bed so IĂ¯Â¸ put it outside in the cold to cool down quicker. 10 minutes later IĂ¯Â¸ went to get it and half of it had been eaten! IĂ¯Â¸ have no idea what animal got into our suburban yard and decided to share in the festivities but my family all refers to it as the time a Racoon ate my perfect Pie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Not a holiday, exactly, but a dh's birthday fail (which is on Epiphany, so a church holiday...). I made a cheesecake, and, well, it wasn't done in the middle. Not even close. My children still talk about the cheesecake that fell apart so much, part of it ended up on the floor! I did make it again that weekend, and it one turned out fine (after I added like 15 minutes to the baking time!).

• Like 1

Ok, the meal itself wasn't bad, and this is from my childhood, but ...

One Christmas, we decided to have roast duck. We had raised ducks that year, so they were quacking outside. We chopped off their heads about midday on Christmas Eve. My mother, who had never plucked anything before, started to pluck them. And pluck them. And pluck them. At 4am Christmas Day, when she was exhausted and near tears, she said "Skin the ****ers" and went to bed. We had roasted skinless duck that year. Bacon makes a good skin. 

PSA:  There is a specific growth stage at which you're supposed to slaughter ducks, at which point the first feathers are coming out and the second ones haven't grown in yet or something like that.  It's in the summer.  At that time, there is little plucking to do--i think you blanch the cleaned out corpses and the feathers come off easily.

My story can't compare to these, but today I managed to almost ruin corn muffins made from Jiffy Mix. When I put them in the oven, the muffin tin slipped and landed upside down on the oven floor. That was the first mistake. I turned off the oven -- only one batch of batter had slipped out -- and put the tin back in the oven. When I checked the muffins, I saw they weren't rising. I had forgotten to turn the oven back on. Second mistake. I turned on the oven and eventually had 24 flat mini muffins. However, I could only get the top part out of the tin. The tin was non-stick, and I had been too lazy to grease all the mini muffin bits (and I don't have nonstick spray). So, mistake #3.

The muffin tops were actually quite tasty, and dd and I nibbled at them until they were all gone.

But, seriously, who can mess up Jiffy Mix?

I love all the stories here!

• Like 3

This Thanksgiving, on Tuesday night, my oven went out completely - stovetop, too. Thankfully, we were planning to go to my husband's relatives' home for dinner, so I wasn't hosting. All I had to cook was a green bean casserole and an apple crisp. I have two slow cookers, so I tweaked my recipes a little; then into the slow cookers they went! They turned out well, and today was a good day. When I was a child, my grandmother tried a new way of cooking the turkey. It didn't work, and the turkey was still frozen on the inside. For my grandmother, that was a Thanksgiving disaster!

• Like 1

My Mom is famous for her lack of cooking skills.  One year, she made green been casserole.  Standard recipe, only she decided to add walnuts.  Somehow, it caused the whole dish to turn purple.  Nobody would eat it, not even our dog who would eat anything.

There's a reason why she had Christmas Eve catered by the local Italian restaurant. :D

• Like 3

Two years ago, FIL and his girlfriend bought a new house a couple months before Thanksgiving. By the time turkey day rolled around, they hadn't totally figured out how to work the stove yet. FIL put SIL's glass dish of mashed potatoes on the stovetop, then turned on what he thought was the oven's keep-warm setting. It was the burner under the potatoes.

A couple minutes later, the dish exploded. Shards of glass everywhere, potatoes oozing onto the hot burner. Thankfully there was a second batch of taters, everything else was covered, and no one got cut by the flying glass.

When I first moved back to California I decided to take a leading role in hosting holidays, in the manner of a Grown Up In Her Mid-Twenties.

I invited the whole extended family to a joint birthday party for two family members in my one bedroom apartment during Memorial Day weekend.

I cooked up a STORM. 

There was just one problem.  I had never made cake before.  And I had to make TWO.  How hard could this be?  is what I thought.

One was a basic cake that turned out great.  The other had TWO kinds of frosting in different colors.  And it was quite hot that weekend. 

I baked the cakes.  The cakes cooled to room temperature.  I frosted the cakes.  They were beautiful.

The next morning when I woke up, all the frosting from the double frosted cake had slid down onto the cake plate.  And I couldn't recreate the fancy design because the two were all melted together.

Sigh. 

At least they tasted good.

I was young enough to fess up.  So stupid.  If this happened to me now, which it wouldn't because I know better, I would call it 'marbleized frosting' and everyone would be impressed.

• Like 3

I paid a premium for a fresh (not frozen) turkey because I didn't have room to store it ahead of time.  

Dinner was ready, the bird was up to temperature and I started to carve the bird.  It became apparent that the bird must have been frozen part of the time  when it was in storage at the store, because the meat was cooked to perfection....except right at the bone.   :confused1:

I cut up the meat and finished it in the microwave. LOL  Not quite so yummy, but at least I didn't make anyone sick. 

• Like 1

Mine was today. One of the things that I was requested to bring was corn pudding. Um, I'm a vegan and they are asking me to bring something in which I would normally use milk and sour cream. So Pinterest to the rescue, except the new recipe had a billion ingredients that cost a billion dollars and tasted like crap. No where near puddingish. Ick, gross, patooey.

• Like 1

Mine was today. One of the things that I was requested to bring was corn pudding. Um, I'm a vegan and they are asking me to bring something in which I would normally use milk and sour cream. So Pinterest to the rescue, except the new recipe had a billion ingredients that cost a billion dollars and tasted like crap. No where near puddingish. Ick, gross, patooey.

In the future, I've made my corn pie recipe vegan, and it was still yummy. Recipe is below, just sub in a vegan sour cream brand (I've used tofutti) and vegan margarine...I can't remember which I used. And I have no idea if store bought graham cracker crusts are vegan, but I'm sure you can make one that is. 

Corn Pie (side dish, not a dessert)

1 box jiffy corn muffin mix (they make a vegetarian one)

1 stick butter, softened

1 8oz container sour cream

1 can corn, drained

1 can cream style corn

2 graham cracker crusts

Preheat oven to 350. Mix all ingredients and pour into the two pie shells. Bake for about 1 hour, until set. Serve warm, or at room temperature. 

• Like 2

Not a disaster I suppose, although it feels like it. We at at my sister's house, which is 40-45 minutes away. I forgot the mulled cranberry sauce on the way there...which I love but no one else eats, so fine. Then, when it was time to come home I was told to take ALL the spinach gratin because I'm the one that really likes it. I was ecstatic, and spent the whole ride home thinking about late night snacking, only to realize when we got home that it was still sitting in my sister's refrigerator! 

Darn it, I wanted that spinach! (It has cheese and real cream in it). 

She's coming this way on Saturday so I asked her to bring it then, lol. 

• Like 1

When I was in my early 20s, I lived in an apartment, but I went to my parentsĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ house for Easter dinner. When I walked in the house, my mom was nowhere to be found, the turkey was on top of the stove cooling and one of the cats was feasting. We still laugh about that!!!!

• Like 1

Hah! I did something similar when I got my new set of double ovens, only it mercifully was not an important meal. I think it was a pan of french fries. I turned on the bottom oven but put the pan in the top oven and Ă¢â‚¬Å“bakedĂ¢â‚¬ it for twenty minutes before I realized my mistake. And I did think to myself, Ă¢â‚¬Å“Geez, Danielle, you didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t realize you were putting a pan into a cold oven?Ă¢â‚¬

I have a freestanding range with two ovens. The controls are all on the back of the stove. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve turned on one oven and placed the food in the other. It doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t cook that way. Ă°Å¸Ëœâ€¢

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

Two years ago, FIL and his girlfriend bought a new house a couple months before Thanksgiving. By the time turkey day rolled around, they hadn't totally figured out how to work the stove yet. FIL put SIL's glass dish of mashed potatoes on the stovetop, then turned on what he thought was the oven's keep-warm setting. It was the burner under the potatoes.

A couple minutes later, the dish exploded. Shards of glass everywhere, potatoes oozing onto the hot burner. Thankfully there was a second batch of taters, everything else was covered, and no one got cut by the flying glass.

My husband destroyed my deep dish stoneware baker in much the same manner, except he intentionally placed it on the stovetop, thinking that was a valid manner of sautĂƒÂ©ing onions and peppers. Ummm...no.

I was around 8, and we were visiting my grandparents for the first time in about 5 years, along with my aunts and uncles. My grandmother made several pies, and during the first round of pie, I had apple, while everyone else had pumpkin or pecan. I gagged on my first bite of pie, and declared it was yucky. I was scolded by all of the adults, and I was declared spoiled and ungrateful. My grandmother made a show of taking a BIG bite of the apple pie, only to then spit it out herself. It was discovered that the sugar canister had been refilled with salt buy one of the many cooks in the kitchen, and the apples had been mixed with more than a cup of salt! I got a big apology.

• Like 5