Menu

HAMILTON--the play

gstharr

Has anybody seen it? My 12 y.o would really like to see it.  It closes in our area after X-mas. Tickets are still available. But very bad seats are $320 each. I just can't rationalize $1500 for 2 hours of family entertainment.  We can go on a 3 day cruise for less.  If you saw Hamilton, was it worth it. 

I watched a bootleg copy online......yup, I did.  It has since been removed.  It was awesome and I loved it, but I would not spend $1500 on it.  I might get $100/each tickets if I could find them, but DS (who is my theater kid) says he can wait a couple more years until it is less popular, and see it then.

• Like 1

I think it'd be absolutely amazing to see live.  And it's not something you will see in community theater, it's an elaborate spectacle with revolving stages. I personally absolutely  would pay $320 for a good seat.  But $320 for a bad seat, yeeash.  I don't think I would.

• Like 1

I'm sure it's great, but there's no way I could justify that price.

If you can afford it, and it's the thing your 12 year old wants most, could you send them with just 1 adult as a Christmas gift?  

Actually, my problem is with the ticket price. $320 for the cheap seats makes no sense  to me (good seats are $1100+).  The last play I went to was around 12 years ago. I know I got good seats for $100 or less. i just can't imagine what would justify the price for even one ticket.

It's coming to Orlando in the 2018-19 season and my fear is that tickets will cost that much. I desperately want to see it but can't justify that cost either. Not for bad seats. I don't know what to tell you. You have to decide if bad seats are better than no seats even at $320.

Come to Chicago?  You can get decent seats for $150.  Great seats for $400.

My dd has wanted to go for a year, plays all the music on violin/piano, sings all the music...

It is a HUGE expense for us and if she goes, it will be with only 1 parent, no siblings.

It might almost be cheaper to fly to Chicago, stay at a hotel, and buy the decent $150 seats.  :lol:

• Like 4

My dd has wanted to go for a year, plays all the music on violin/piano, sings all the music...

It is a HUGE expense for us and if she goes, it will be with only 1 parent, no siblings.

Wow!! This is something for me to explore.  I looked and saw some  April 2018 tickets for as low as $104.  I could live with a 3 day vacation,  a play, and some deep dish for a little more than it would me locally.

• Like 7

I would not spend that amount of money...   :svengo: especially for less than amazing seats.

Do you live close to an area where it is playing?

My daughter caught it last month in NYC as a stand by ticket. (She is post college and currently attending a theatre/music/dance academy in midtown this year.) Initially, she was planning on seeing an Off broadway show, but decided to wander past Hamilton and peek longingly at the marquee. While standing nearby she spied a line forming... Someone explained that about five minutes before curtain, any unsold seats are released for sale. She ended up with an Orchestra Center standing "seat" with a railing in front of her to lean on...for $40!

She texted me a picture of the marquee with the caption, "Guess what I am doing tonight?"   :party:

• Like 10

I would not spend that amount of money... :svengo: especially for less than amazing seats.

Do you live close to an area where it is playing?

My daughter caught it last month in NYC as a stand by ticket. (She is post college and currently attending a theatre/music/dance academy in midtown this year.) Initially, she was planning on seeing an Off broadway show, but decided to wander past Hamilton and peek longingly at the marquee. While standing nearby she spied a line forming... Someone explained that about five minutes before curtain, any unsold seats are released for sale. She ended up with an Orchestra Center standing "seat" with a railing in front of her to lean on...for $40!

She texted me a picture of the marquee with the caption, "Guess what I am doing tonight?" :party:

Wow, that’s amazing!

Dd wants to try to see it in buffalo in 2019.

She was in NYC a few weekends ago and went to the Hamilton shop and got a water bottle ;)

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Like 1

I would not spend that much money for tickets, but Dd was invited to go with a friend last year.

They were excellent seats. I really do not even want to imagine how much those tickets cost even if they did count it as the girls’ Christmas presents.

We paid that much to see it in Chicago; however, we had seats in front row of the mezzanine, so they were amazing!  

Only you know how much of a hardship that much money is to your family.  There are a lot of things I can't or won't spend our money on, but this was something the whole family wanted to do do and my husband was on board with the purchase.  I loved the show and I think it is the kind of thing that my kids are going to remember into adulthood.  I would absolutely do it again.

As for attempting to buy touring tickets, just be aware that the tour tickets will go quickly in most places - the Fox in St Louis sold out in an hour and it was chaos for those attempting to get seats, not to mention that I think ticket prices ranged from $200 to 4 or 500 dollars each.

Edited by AngieC
  • Like 2

My dh and 2 of our daughters are going to Chicago next week and getting in the lottery for tickets...at $10 you know they are going to be crap seats, but as long as they can HEAR the songs that they've been singing for a year now I'm sure they'll be happy.  LOL

*Sometimes* the lottery seats are excellent!

Good luck and have fun!  :hurray:

OMG, thank you for letting me know this; we live fairly close to Chicago! I didn't even look at Hamilton since I didn't think I'd be able to afford it. DD is turning 16 in February - I think I'll take her to Hamilton since we were planning to spend a little more on this birthday since it's a "big" one. 

• Like 2

My dh and 2 of our daughters are going to Chicago next week and getting in the lottery for tickets...at $10 you know they are going to be crap seats, but as long as they can HEAR the songs that they've been singing for a year now I'm sure they'll be happy. LOL

I know three (or more?) sets of people who won the lottery (2+ in SF and one in LA) and they were fantastic seats every time. Like, in the $700 area in SF.

I’ve seen Hamilton twice (in SF). Great show, but my personal limit is $200. (Nothing in life that’s two hours long is worth more than that.) Those were the cheapest seats in SF, but I used one of those websites that show you what your view of the stage will be, and got seats that were fine.

I’d love for my son in Utah to see it, but the run there is only a month, I think, and demand will be high (as a PP said about a different city). We were fortunate to have a 5-month run in SF — about midway through the run a friend offered me a ticket, and I loved it, but it took several weeks to convince my husband that he would like it.

The funny thing: our local high school puts on a truly excellent musical every spring (my son played in the pit for several of them). Tickets are $10, it’s a 5-minute drive with easy parking, we always know lots of the kids performing, they are so talented (several have gone on to Tisch) and have so much energy, the choreography and costumes and staging are excellent ... Well, this past spring they did â€In the Heights.†We didn’t expect to enjoy it but we did, and as we left I said to my husband how in 10 years the high school will be doing Hamilton & we’ll go for $10 :) ... the very next morning my friend offered me a seat!

• Like 4

I don't know about the traveling show, but on Broadway, there were 46  1st and 2nd row seats for every performance that could be got through the lottery.  $10 to the "young, scrappy and hungry" and also because that's the bill he's on.  "The $10 Founding Father without a father ..."

• Like 1

I am a HUGE musical junkie, and I've been dying to see Hamilton for forever.  (Don't get me started on Dear Evan Hansen...). I would pay $320 for good seats or even decent seats, but I would struggle to pay that for bad seats.  

Love the idea of going to Chicago for a long weekend and seeing it there!  That would be a great memory!

• Like 1

My dh and 2 of our daughters are going to Chicago next week and getting in the lottery for tickets...at $10 you know they are going to be crap seats, but as long as they can HEAR the songs that they've been singing for a year now I'm sure they'll be happy.  LOL

We have entered the lottery almost daily for the last 9 months...

And this lottery limits you to 2 tickets. Just that you know.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the OP. A generous tip directed to me pretty decent online video. Got to watch it with the 12 y.o.on a large screen. So glad that I didnot front the money. He watched maybe 30 minutes before wanting to play video games. I fell asleep well before the middle. Have not even tried to watch the remainder in the 2 weeks since. Issue solved. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

We have entered the lottery almost daily for the last 9 months...

And this lottery limits you to 2 tickets. Just that you know.

wow you are dedicated. 

I hope you win.

did some quick looks at the chicago tickets

You can get balcony tickets for as low as 65 for now. 

I am also seeing Orchestra seats for as low as 112

Edited by mommyoffive