Menu

Longevity... 2 lovely sisters

Jann in TX

Today I made a memory.

This morning my youngest dd and I drove to the S.A. airport and picked up my 91 yr old great Aunt (her late husband was my grandfather's brother).

She was here to spend Thanksgiving with her older sister --95 yrs old!  They try to get together every year or so and for the last 20 years I've been able to witness their reunions!

The time spent watching these 2 sisters 'catch up' today was priceless!  From the pesky sister jokes that have been going on for 80+ years to the happiness on their faces just to sit on the couch and hold each other's hands!

Both women are fiercely independent-- the older sister lives in a cottage on her daughters property-- my Aunt splits her time between her two daughters (but was living in her own home by herself until last spring)-- she is on a waiting list for her own apartment-- no 'old folks home' for her!

Their mother lived a few days shy of 105 years.

I hope they have many more holidays together.

I felt blessed.

• Like 30

What a lovely story.  Thanks for sharing.  

I got to be part of that in a small way as well when DH's grandmother was still alive.  She lived to be 98, and was on her own in an apartment til the end, not even in a senior's complex.  Her older sister lived to be 96 and her brother is still alive at 98+.  

On DH's grandmother's last trip to visit her daughter in the city where we live, her older sister (and her sister's boyfriend!) were driving across Western Canada at the same time and they all ended up here together - they were all in the late 80s/early 90s at that time.  It was a lovely reunion and I got to here all sorts of terrific stories about their days growing up all the way into their 40s and 50s - stories I never would have heard otherwise if they weren't both in the same room.

• Like 1