What's with the ads?

#1 kristen18

kristen18

Just Visiting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:47 PM

My daughter has epilepsy and when she has seizures there is usually a trigger, like an illness or sleep deprivation. Last Tuesday, we tried Barton for the first time. That afternoon, her seizures started up. She had a number of them Tuesday, and one on Wednesday morning. She has been fine since then, until today. I had put the Barton aside and tried it again today, she had a seizure this afternoon. Can using a certain part of the brain trigger a seizure? We couldn't come up with any other possible trigger. 

#2 PeterPan

PeterPan

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31067 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:04 AM

I'm no expert on seizures or brain structure, but it sure seems reasonable. You would need to talk to her doctor. They could look at scans to see what parts of the brain have been affected by her seizures and compare that to the parts used in the phonological processing of Barton.

Was she dyslexic before the seizures, or is the reading disability due to damage from the seizures? It may be you're going to need to approach this a different way. How old is she?

The Eides have some information on brain scans and dyslexia that they've posted on their blog in the past. 

#3 kristen18

kristen18

Just Visiting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

Thanks for the response, I'll check out that information. She's 16, and has had epilepsy since she was 11 months old. She has had a mixture of public/private/and homeschool. Her most recent evaluation included the diagnosis of specific learning disorder with impairment in reading. They suggested OG based instruction, so we went with Barton. She was always on the slow side with reading. When we were concerned when she was younger, the public school said she was within the average range. Looking back, I think they may have redefined "average" to get out of giving services. 

#4 EKS

EKS

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14369 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

Looking back, I think they may have redefined "average" to get out of giving services. 

The "average" range is pretty broad.  Kids at the bottom have not mastered grade level skills (and actually, kids who are dead average have not actually mastered grade level skills either, but no one is going to admit that).

#5 kristen18

kristen18

Just Visiting

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 12:31 PM

The "average" range is pretty broad.  Kids at the bottom have not mastered grade level skills (and actually, kids who are dead average have not actually mastered grade level skills either, but no one is going to admit that).

That's scary. Our first go at homeschooling was in response to feeling that was the case. We did Phonics Pathways back then, and that seemed to catch her up a good amount. High school level material, especially the amount of reading required, is overwhelming to her at this point. I'm trying to change things up with more videos, and reading to her.