Menu

A list of classics

Earthmerlin

I'd like a centralized list of classics of poetry & prose. I run across authors and poets randomly but would like a list of (commonly accepted) classics. I will use this list to expose my 8 yr old to NOT just (not-to-miss) kiddie lit but also those authors/poets a well-rounded & widely-read person should be familiar with. Ideas?

Well, even with prose, what is "commonly accepted" as "classic" authors and works varies considerably ;), and while I have seen lots of lists of "classic" prose authors/works, I don't think I've ever seen a similar list for poets. I suggest compiling your own lists, as it sounds like you already are. :) Here are two resources to start you off for "classic" poetry/poets:

Ambleside online poetry schedule?

- 1000 Good Books anthologies and poetry ideas? -- grades 1-3; grades 4-6; grades 7-9; grades 10-12

Also, the literature selections in the What Your ___ Grader Needs to Know books by Hirsch include some poems that widely-read people would know.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

The WTM booklists?

Yes, I suppose I need to check them out. I afterschool so these forums are used to supplement her B&M education. I keep my eyes open and so run across poets and authors but in a random fashion. I imagine I'm loking for a central list or two to give me a) peace of mind I'm hitting the 'classics' & b) fodder for read alouds. I believe I'm craving systematic coverage of disciplines, including literature.

Edited by Earthmerlin

Well, even with prose, what is "commonly accepted" as "classic" authors and works varies considerably ;), and while I have seen lots of lists of "classic" prose authors/works, I don't think I've ever seen a similar list for poets. I suggest compiling your own lists, as it sounds like you already are. :) Here are two resources to start you off for "classic" poetry/poets:

- Ambleside online poetry schedule?

- 1000 Good Books anthologies and poetry ideas? -- grades 1-3; grades 4-6; grades 7-9; grades 10-12

Also, the literature selections in the What Your ___ Grader Needs to Know books by Hirsch include some poems that widely-read people would know.

Thanks for this. Yeah, I know there's a variety of opinions on such things. As I stated above, it's a list or two I believe would be helpful as a point of reference that'll give me satisfaction I'm hitting all (or most of) the goodies.

We read lots of 'kiddie lit' but my daughter liked 'Old Man & the Sea' and most recently 'Canterville Ghost'. This made me realize she can handle and appreciate such works (albeit with an 8 yr old's perspective). So why stop there? Which leads me to wanting a list.....LOL!

I will look into your recommendations.

Edited by Earthmerlin
  • Like 1

Maybe a book along the lines of E.D. Hirsch's New First Dictionary of Cultural Literacy would contain what you're looking for? The literature section contains books (from Harry Potter and the Little Engine that Could to the Iliad and Odyssey, Macbeth and Julius Caesar) poems, folk tales, and nursery rhymes (as well as sections for history, science, music, art, and more). Actually, I think this is exactly what you want if your goal is what a "well-rounded and widely-read person should be familiar with"! (It's also a great resource for family trivia night.)

I love and use so many book lists I've found on the web, and our library's reference section also has numerous books containing literature lists for children, but for this specific concern, the above dictionary is superb.

• Like 1

You might also check out the lists at various Poetry websites:

Poetry Soup: Famous Classical Poets -- a list of 100 poets and some of their poems

Best Poems -- 100 famous poems

All Poetry: Classics -- a list of 500 famous poems and the poets

Poem Hunter: Classics -- a list of over 1000 famous poets

Thanks! We really dig poetry and have recently enjoyed 'The Road Not Taken' by Frost. The sources above will help explore this genre more fully.

BTW, I wrote decent poetry growing up and in college. My 8 yr old is quite good at it too. I'm amazed at her natural gift to capture a feeling so easily. We just may make a compilation book of her works.

Edited by Earthmerlin

Maybe a book along the lines of E.D. Hirsch's New First Dictionary of Cultural Literacy would contain what you're looking for? The literature section contains books (from Harry Potter and the Little Engine that Could to the Iliad and Odyssey, Macbeth and Julius Caesar) poems, folk tales, and nursery rhymes (as well as sections for history, science, music, art, and more). Actually, I think this is exactly what you want if your goal is what a "well-rounded and widely-read person should be familiar with"! (It's also a great resource for family trivia night.)

I love and use so many book lists I've found on the web, and our library's reference section also has numerous books containing literature lists for children, but for this specific concern, the above dictionary is superb.

A big thanks! 'Cultural literacy'...I like that term! I am already on Amazon checking out this recommendation. I think it'll prove quite helpful in giving me reassurance and inspiration. Yes, a reference is what I was looking for.

I'm not too worried we're not hitting quality & varied literature. It's just that I'm in a spot of wanting 'a list'--no matter how silly that may sound. Plus, my daughter & I have such active minds that we're always craving more stimulation. More, more, more!! LOL!

Thanks again.

• Like 1

I got a used copy of it on Amazon today & look forward to its arrivall. Thanks for the head's up.

...My 8 yr old is quite good at it too. I'm amazed at her natural gift to capture a feeling so easily. We just may make a compilation book of her works.

If DD is interested in seeing any of her poems in print or on the web, here are two places to start:

Stone Soup (ages 8-13) -- digital (11x/year) and print (1x/year) journal of art, poetry, and stories

Poetry Zone (ages 4-18) -- online publishing; poetry is on view for a month, and then archived

Magic Dragon (elementary grades) -- quarterly magazine of writing and art created by children

The Telling Room (ages 6-18) -- print publishing; stories and poetry

Creative Kids Magazine (ages 8-20)-- digital magazine of creative work by kids (cartoons, songs, short stories, puzzles, photographs, artwork, games, editorials, poetry, plays, etc)

• Like 1

If DD is interested in seeing any of her poems in print or on the web, here are two places to start:

Stone Soup (ages 8-13) -- digital (11x/year) and print (1x/year) journal of art, poetry, and stories

Poetry Zone (ages 4-18) -- online publishing; poetry is on view for a month, and then archived

Magic Dragon (elementary grades) -- quarterly magazine of writing and art created by children

The Telling Room (ages 6-18) -- print publishing; stories and poetry

Creative Kids Magazine (ages 8-20)-- digital magazine of creative work by kids (cartoons, songs, short stories, puzzles, photographs, artwork, games, editorials, poetry, plays, etc)

Yes! This is AWESOME! I think she'd derive great satisfaction from seeing her work published!

• Like 1