Menu

Another thread about washers and dryers...

EMS83

So....mine are on the way out.  The very kind, very honest repairman said it would cost about as much to fix them as it would to replace them.  They're 12-year-old Frigidaires; I guess it's time.   :crying:   He said we could let them die a long and painful death without any safety hazards, at least.  

Anyway...

Do I want a top or front loading washer?  Is there any point besides space-saving to stack the things (and thereby forcing the top/front decision)?

Other pointers are welcome; this set is/was my first set and we literally bought the cheapest thing that was a recognizable brand.  I may well do the same thing again, BUT still welcome advice and anecdotes.  :D 

• Like 1

I like top loaders because I figure that I have a better chance of avoiding flooding if there is a malfunction. I have no data to back this up, but it intuitively makes sense to me.

And in general--we are a Speed Queen board. Get Speed Queens, they are made to last for decades not years.

I don’t know what is going on with speed queen but lately there seems to be quite a bit of posts in different forums with very negative experiences. All very recent so that is making some wonder if they are not made the same anymore.

I love,love my Samsung top loader. I almost bought a speed queen but it wasn’t big enough for us. This Samsung just rocks and I swear it has cut my laundry time quite a bit.

• Like 2

Mites.

And bacteria, grasses and pollens carried in and “bloomingâ€. Also allergies often come along with eczema, which leaves one’s skin open to bacterial infection, so there is that.

I wish I didn’t know all this stuff.

:grouphug:   I'm sorry you do, but it might help me!  I'm constantly congested in my sinuses.  It never occurred to me my washer could help or hurt (mind being blown--slowly because it's tired, lol).

Edited by CES2005

I have my first set of front loaders and love them except that the washer's lights seem to be having trouble and I got it via Sears, so not sure what is up with repairs.

It has the sanitize type settings, extra big loads go in it.   In this one, it has a pause feature so it is possible to get that extra sock in after it starts.

• Like 1

I don’t know what is going on with speed queen but lately there seems to be quite a bit of posts in different forums with very negative experiences. All very recent so that is making some wonder if they are not made the same anymore.

I love,love my Samsung top loader. I almost bought a speed queen but it wasn’t big enough for us. This Samsung just rocks and I swear it has cut my laundry time quite a bit.

+1 for the Samsung Top Loader. My wife bought one, to replace our beloved Whirlpool Top Loader that was still working after 20 years. She bought the Samsung Top Loader 2 years ago. She loves it!   

• Like 1