Menu

Bob Evans (or other brand) mashed potatoes? Update first post: thumbs up!

marbel

We're (family) getting ready to  leave tomorrow for our 2nd annual Thanksgiving in the Woods trip.   Most of the food is under control, but I'm stuck on mashed potatoes.  My kids insist on them.  But I'm tired of cooking (and neither of them has time to do it, with school and work stuff).  I've seen pre-made mashed potatoes in the refrigerated case in the grocery store - Bob Evans brand comes to mind - but have never tried them.  Are they any good or will mashed potato fans be disappointed?  

We've tried boxed potatoes in the past and they were given an emphatic thumbs down. 

Update:  thanks all!  We tried them and they were enjoyed by all.  I will continue to make mashed potatoes from scratch most of the time, but now I know these are a viable option when that's not practical!  

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

We eat the Bob Evans mashed potatoes all the time.  I hate making mashed potatoes, so whenever we have something (like pot roast), I buy those.  Check under the cardboard sleeve to make sure the plastic is sealed on both ends -- I have brought home containers that the seal had popped up (from rough handling, maybe).  I always check in the store now.

But yeah, they won't knock your socks off, but it's a totally decent option.

(We also buy the Bob Evans mac and cheese.  I make it as a light dinner for me and my 2 girls when DH isn't around for the meal.  Again...not homemade...but way better than the blue box.)

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 2

We eat BE mashed potatoes all the time.  It is never worth making home made mashed potatoes for just three people.  So we buy them.  Even better is now they sell them in two personal sized packs so I buy them often and then the boy can have some mashed while we are having something else like pasta or sweet potato (he doesn't like either).  Plus I grew up going to BE.  But BE is not available in every state, so some locations we have bought other brands/generic.  The BE are always the best. 

• Like 1

I really like them! I can't believe people are adding lots of butter and sour cream, how much do y'all use in your homemade stuff?

I sometimes get the reduced fat kind (not Bob Evans but another big brand, I forget the name, it is "salt and pepper flavor") and I think it tastes just fine.  Not better but bad.

I am not someone who is at all afraid of full flavor fatty goodness.  I'm actually writing this while eating pumpkin ice cream from the carton, haha.

• Like 1

I haven't tried Bob Evans, but have tried the Simply Potatoes brand.  Not as good as homemade, but no one in my family would turn them down.  :)

Recently, the kids have become fans of the premade scalloped potatoes you can find at Trader Joe's, Sam's Club, and Costco.  Cheesy goodness!

• Like 1

We like the Simply Potatoes brand, also. 

I think it's neat, OP, that you have a tradition like you do. Can you link your original post where you talk about your TG in the Woods?

I'll just quote what I said in the nontraditional thread:

We are having mostly traditional foods but not in a traditional setting.  We rent a cabin in a state park and spend the holiday there, just the 4 of us.  It's wonderful.  I'm going to roast the turkey at home early tomorrow morning, carve it, pack the estimated needed amount aside for Thursday dinner in the cooler, and toss the carcass and the rest of the meat in the freezer to deal with when we get home on Sunday.   My son is making his necessary corn casserole tonight.  I'm picking up pies later.  

Prepping is a huge hassle - we have to pack as if for camping - the cabins have furniture and the major appliances, but we have to bring bed and bath linens, all kitchen supplies, the all-important coffeemaker, etc.  But once there, it is lovely.   And there is no wi-fi and no tv so we hike, play games, read...

The "modern cabins" in (some of) the state parks are one of the best things about PA.  It's a small furnished house really with a firepit and picnic table outside.  

This is only our second year but it might be the last as the kids are growing up and having new obligations.  One of those things I wish we'd started when they were younger so we'd have more years.

Anyway, here's hoping the stores still have plenty of mashed potatoes today!  :-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

For those of you who mix additional ingredients in, I have to ask, how that's easier than tossing a few potatoes in the microwave and mashing them up with those ingredients?

I mean, I prefer potatoes that are peeled, boiled, strained, etc., but the potato button on the microwave is almost just as good when I'm tired or rushed.

• Like 2

I'll just quote what I said in the nontraditional thread:

The "modern cabins" in (some of) the state parks are one of the best things about PA.  It's a small furnished house really with a firepit and picnic table outside.  

This is only our second year but it might be the last as the kids are growing up and having new obligations.  One of those things I wish we'd started when they were younger so we'd have more years.

Anyway, here's hoping the stores still have plenty of mashed potatoes today!  :-)

That's so neat. 

• Like 1

For those of you who mix additional ingredients in, I have to ask, how that's easier than tossing a few potatoes in the microwave and mashing them up with those ingredients?

I mean, I prefer potatoes that are peeled, boiled, strained, etc., but the potato button on the microwave is almost just as good when I'm tired or rushed.

I don't like the texture of microwaved potatoes.  I don't know how it makes a difference, but it does to me (and mine).   :-)

I like the Bob Evans potatoes a lot! I just about lived on them during one pregnancy.

Yes, I can make my own mashed potatoes but they are never as creamy without being too milky. The Bob Evans texture is just right and I don’t feel like I have to add anything to them.

• Like 2

After I microwave the  BE potatoes I stir them before I serve them. I just  toss in whatever I'm adding, whether it's butter or sour cream, and stir it.   It adds no more time than stirring without add ins. 

Cooking the potatoes in the microwave would make more mess for me. I can save washing a bowl and the beaters by using BE.   

• Like 1

My 20yo dd, a microwaveable mashed potato connoisseur, likes Sam's Club's Yukon Gold mashed potatoes a lot!  For a Thanksgiving potluck I almost threw 4 of those into a crockpot to heat up as a side dish.  Turns out the event had only one bowl of potatoes so I wished I had!  LOL

I did that one year - I don't remember the brand I used, but I just added some milk and a little butter and it worked out fine. Now that we discovered we all love mashed potatoes made with Yukon Golds we always make homemade. I think I could make them in my sleep, lol.