Menu

Life of Fred- Fractions

I love LOF Fractions😀. He recommends waiting based on the following skill requirements of Algebra, not because of anything inappropriate or edgy in content. It is my favorite LOF book, and is why I bought the whole set.

Originally there wasn't a Prealgebra series available, as he said one could go from Fractions/ Decimals straight into Algebra. With the ability of slowing down the sequence with the three LOF Prealgebra books, I wouldn't see a problem with an advanced 4th grader moving on if they have completed the intermediate books of Kidneys, Liver, and Mineshaft first.

• Like 1

we have just kept moving through until they stopped understanding and then taken time to consolidate.  In the higher level books there are a few more "adult"  ideas - I had to explain to my son what "grass" is, and there are a few things like one about noses needing to be non-co-planar when kissing in geometry, lol!  My son was grossed out at the idea of that.  The higher books are definitely written for an older audience, but nothing "damaging" IMO

• Like 2

My oldest did Fractions when he was 9, and I don't recall anything inappropriate - the author says that *most* kids could benefit from re-reading Apples-Mineshaft, rather than just rushing through all the books, but that seems to be pretty much the only reason. Oh, and he also expects kids to be reading Fractions and up independently, something I chose to ignore (I'm still reading Pre-Alg 0 with Physics out loud to the kid, mostly because with the way it's set up my kid would probably just turn the page and look at the answers before spending some real time working on them - he does do the Bridges all on his own (and I check his answers when he's done)).

• Like 1

Just adding to my earlier comment - while we keep *working* through the books, the kids read and reread the other books all the time - they are often needing to be fished out of someone's bed when we need them for work.  I think that's what I love most about this series - they are books my kids like to read for fun.

• Like 3

Just adding to my earlier comment - while we keep *working* through the books, the kids read and reread the other books all the time - they are often needing to be fished out of someone's bed when we need them for work.  I think that's what I love most about this series - they are books my kids like to read for fun.

That's how our house is, too.  Right now I keep the unread books in the math cabinet.  As soon as they've been gone through once, they make it up to the child's bedroom where they're smuggled under the covers.  :laugh:  He thinks he's getting away with something, I'm glad to have found a math book he enjoys that much.  I'll keep buying them as long as he wants me to.

My oldest wasn't interested in Fred.  We had a few of the upper books but he didn't care for them at all. He liked math to be math and not all wordy.  I bought Apples on a whim and tried it with the youngest when he was 5.  He hated it.  So I gave it away.  A year later Butterflies caught his attention and he decided he really loved the set after all.  LOL  So now we read Fred every day and he reminds me, often, that I need to get another copy of Apples to complete the set.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that's the book where a knife falls through his foot and they have to go to the hospital.  So, that would be the most disturbing thing from the book.  

And, no, I wouldn't wait to start it if they're ready and want to read it.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that's the book where a knife falls through his foot and they have to go to the hospital.  So, that would be the most disturbing thing from the book.  

And, no, I wouldn't wait to start it if they're ready and want to read it.

Well, that's better than Honey, where he (Stanley Schmidt) talks about a student who was hit by a car and when he went to send a get well card, it came back as return to sender with the stamp, "Patient Expired".

I may have fudged the end of that story just a little and left off with that he sent her a good-well card.

• Like 1

Well, that's better than Honey, where he (Stanley Schmidt) talks about a student who was hit by a car and when he went to send a get well card, it came back as return to sender with the stamp, "Patient Expired".

I may have fudged the end of that story just a little and left off with that he sent her a good-well card.

Or I think it was Dogs...that one upset one of my daughters.  I had to race to the end of the book to show her everything turned out fine.

Yes, mine reread them too, for fun (and often in bed). I just don't know at what age most kids have enough self-control to actually work through problems they don't immediately get before turning the page to see the answers (and in some of the books you have to cover up the answers right away because they're on the same or opposite page, without even needing to turn the page). Maybe the average (older?) 5th grader can handle that... I don't know. My young-ish special needs (2E) 5th grader... I seriously doubt it. At some point I'll give it a try, but not when he started Fractions a year ago. Maybe when he's 11 or something (he'll probably be starting the Beginning Algebra book then). 

So, anyway... I think Fractions is just fine for a young 9yo, but I don't know how many kids that age I'd just give the book to to just DIY. Also, Stan's ideas (the ones unrelated to math) are sometimes a bit out there, so I like to discuss them with my kids, but I can't think of specific books for that, other then Pre-Algebra 2 with Economics.

• Like 1

So, anyway... I think Fractions is just fine for a young 9yo, but I don't know how many kids that age I'd just give the book to to just DIY. Also, Stan's ideas (the ones unrelated to math) are sometimes a bit out there, so I like to discuss them with my kids, but I can't think of specific books for that, other then Pre-Algebra 2 with Economics.

ohhhh yesssss.  Stan leads to many discussions in our house.

• Like 1