Menu

Any traditional Thanksgiving food you don't like/can't stand/won't eat?

DawnM

I will not eat the canned, jellied cranberry sauce. If someone makes real cranberry sauce with real cranberries and a hint of citrus, I’m in.

Also, while I love mashed sweet potatoes properly prepared, I will NOT eat sweet potatoes that are merely cooked hunks of canned sweet potatoes.

I love pumpkin pie, but it has to be the “right†recipe; basically, the Libby’s can recipe. I look forward to it all year.

• Like 4

Sweet Potato anything.  Pumpkin.

I will eat turkey but don't have to have it.

This year, it is just us and I am finally having my dream thanksgiving.  We are ordering in Chinese food, staying in our pj's, and watching movies.

Edited by kewb
  • Like 11

Yams cooked with syrup and marshmallows.  I like basic sweet potatoes, but the dressed up varieties are way too sweet for my taste buds. 

Green bean casserole.  Never tried one I've liked and I've given up on them.

Stove Top stuffing.  I've been too spoiled with home made real versions, esp our own.  Nothing Stove Top makes compares - not even close.  I skip it (and anything that even looks like it).

• Like 6

Quite a bit of "traditional" I think is disgusting.  Green bean casserole comes to mind.  That stuff is revolting.  Put it next to candied yams, complete with the marshmallows (to add sweetness, of course), and I may as well not eat.  I don't touch the pecan pie or rolls (because they're usually Hawaiian or Pillsbury - the former being too sweet, the latter tasting like chemical preservatives).

I've never been into sweets that much so a table full of them just isn't appealing, and we don't eat a lot of processed foods the rest of the year.  Dh makes a wonderful dinner that's more on the savory side, so it all works out.

• Like 7

As an outsider, I took Husband's description of what he grew up with and just made it to my recipe.  Fresh green beans lightly par-boiled, home-made cheese sauce, grated cheese on top, finished under the grill/broiler.  He likes it better than his childhood one.

• Like 8

The turkey, especially the white meat. It tastes awful to me. I like the dark meat. When I make a turkey at home (which I do, because I am cheap and 59cents calls to me), We use the breast for soup. When it's shredded like that, I can do it.

I agree about turkey breast.  Turkey is usually served at Christmas in the UK, but my family tradition was coq au vin - none of us cared for turkey.  I can cope with turkey breast with mayonnaise or a white sauce.

• Like 1

Sweet things that aren't dessert. Like the sweet potatoes with marshmallows. Ugh!

But honestly, I think that if traditional Thanksgiving dishes don't float your boat, it might be time to alter traditions. I'm cooking a Thanksgiving dinner for my mother this year and it's going to have roast duck, roasted root vegetables and brussels sprouts, cheese straws/biscuits/muffins (not decided yet), and mincemeat turnovers with ice cream

• Like 3

I am very allergic to cinnamon, which makes me basically allergic to Thanksgiving. If we go to my parents, or they come here, it's not too bad-my mom is used to cooking everything cinnamon-free. But if we go out, or if we go to DH's family, or if it's an extended gathering to which everyone brings dishes, I'm stuck with plain turkey, a roll, and fresh vegetables on a relish tray, and whatever thing I brought-provided I get to it before someone accidentally cross-contaminates it. And I'll go through the whole day (and probably the day before and after) on heavy antihistamines just to handle the scents and to hopefully keep any reaction out of epi-pen and ER levels.

Perhaps because of that, I can't think of one thing in the traditional Thanksgiving meal I really like and look forward to.  The traditional Christmas dinner is almost as bad, but at least it's not quite as heavily pumpkin spiced.

Edited by Dmmetler2

Dressing/Stuffing

Cranberry sauce from a can

Sweet potatoes with added sugar (but roasted with chili powder and cumin -- Yum)

I will eat turkey, but I don't really enjoy it.

Pumpkin pie -  Yes I said it, I don't like pumpkin pie!

Vegetable from a can, dumped in a bowl and microwaved.  This is DH's brothers contribution to the meal.

• Like 1

Green bean casserole w cream of something soup and canned onions. Not eating that. 

Canned cranberry sauce- I ate that as a kid but as an adult I learned how awesome homemade cranberry relish is and I don't like the canned stuff. 

Not a fan of sweet potato casserole that has marshmallows and/or nuts in it. 

There's a reason we're having lasagna for Thanksgiving. g

• Like 2

Nothing I make of course is on that list, but some I've encountered elsewhere.... green bean casserole (because French fried onions), meat or sausage stuffing, my grandmother's mashed potatoes because she puts onions in them (raw)

I think that's it.

Well onions in mashed potatoes is just wrong. My aunt pits mayonnaise in mashed potatoes and mayo is like that one thing for me that makes me want to gag. Mayo is her secret ingredient in a ton of things. Blech.

• Like 1

Homemade cranberry sauce. I like the canned stuff, but I've made homemade before and hated it. The cranberry skin bits... ick. DH and the kids liked it.

I also told my mom I don't like turkey, which is half true. I don't like turkey that anyone else cooks because I don't trust it to be properly cooked.

• Like 2

Homemade cranberry sauce. I like the canned stuff, but I've made homemade before and hated it. The cranberry skin bits... ick. DH and the kids liked it.

I also told my mom I don't like turkey, which is half true. I don't like turkey that anyone else cooks because I don't trust it to be properly cooked.

Ya know, I don't care for homemade cranberry sauce either.  I tried making some with fake sugar because I avoid sugar.  I like the canned better! 

• Like 1

While I like mashed potatoes, I don't like anything cooked with sweet potatoes.

Green beans are fine. Green bean casserole is disgusting.

Why would anybody eat turkey? It's always dry and stringy. No matter how it's cooked. Other people rave about it. It's still gross.

Who would you eat cranberry sauce? Ewww.

Stuffing is soggy bread. Gross.

We do biryani for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's awesome and wonderful and has NO turkey. And everybody in my family loves it.

• Like 2

Most vegetables, honestly. I'm not a vegetable fan, but because Thanksgiving is the kind of meal where there's so much that nothing arrives to the table hot at the same time, the vegetables are always terrifically overcooked, even if they arrived in decent shape.

Also GF, so many things that I can't eat because of cross-contamination worries.

ETA: Angie W reminded me: Stuffing! Ugh. Soggy bread--right on. Same thing with bread pudding. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 1

In addition to the already-named yucky foods, I will not eat my MIL's gravy because she cuts up a boiled egg into it. ?? So weird. 

My mom makes scalloped oysters which I detest.

I do not like stuffing/dressing with nuts or sausage in it.

I do like most of the traditional foods, when well-prepared. Thanksgiving dinner is one of my favorite meals.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

I will not eat the canned, jellied cranberry sauce. If someone makes real cranberry sauce with real cranberries and a hint of citrus, I’m in.

One year my SIL made cranberry sauce from scratch. So pretty! But it tasted exactly the same as canned. Which I like so no biggie to me. :D

I would much rather have a pizza.

We had a few times, when the dc were young, where we'd just moved to a new place and didn't know anyone and dh had to work. My dc hate turkey so we had pizza and they came to think of pizza as a traditional Thanksgiving food. :laugh:

I had no idea green bean casserole was a traditional dish. I didn't grow up with it at all, neither did dh. The first time I'd even seen one was at a church potluck years after we were married.

Turkey.

I much prefer ham but since no one else in my extended family eats pork, I’m stuck.

Dh and I like turkey but the dc hate it so we just do ham every year. Or at least every year that we haven't just had pizza. :lol:

• Like 2

I don't like/can't stand/won't eat any of it. Turkey, dressing, sweet potato junk with marshamallows on top, green bean casserole, cranberry anything, gravy, pumpkin pie, etc.

Needless to say Thanksgiving  is my least favorite holiday because I'm hungry all day long and then you are expected to eat the same food for days to come. It's like my own personal food version of Groundhog's Day.

• Like 3

In addition to the already-named yucky foods, I will not eat my MIL's gravy because she cuts up a boiled egg into it. ?? So weird. 

My mom makes scalloped oysters which I detest.

I do not like stuffing/dressing with nuts or sausage in it.

I do like most of the traditional foods, when well-prepared. Thanksgiving dinner is one of my favorite meals.

Giblet gravy.

My FIL has to have it. 

I grew up with cream gravy for turkey. That's what I want when I have turkey. Sadly, still having mastered that one GF just yet.

• Like 3

Giblet gravy.

My FIL has to have it. 

I grew up with cream gravy for turkey. That's what I want when I have turkey. Sadly, still having mastered that one GF just yet.

Can you use arrowroot or another non-wheat thickener, or would it make the gravy not taste right to you?

I have used it and it did work fine for the thickening. I put it in at the end, right before the cream, mixed with some room temp stock, like I would cornstarch. I usually make turkey gravy with butter and flour, chx stock, pan drippings, cream, S&P. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

I LOVE Thanksgiving food for the most part...except stuffing (or "dressing" as they say her ein the South).  Doesn't matter if it is homemade or comes fom a box, it all gives me a horrible stomach ache and tastes like wet bread.  

Not a fan of marshmallows in any dish on Thanksgiving.  I had a dear great aunt who would bring a green jello salad with pistachios, marshmallows, and thin carrot strips frozen in it.  <shudder>

Other than that, I LOVE all the food, and it is the ONE day I actually don't mind cooking.  We're having turkey, stuffing (hurl), mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, baked corn, rolls, cinnamon glazed carrots, cranberry crumb bars, and pie.  

• Like 1

Giblet gravy.

My FIL has to have it.

OH! How much do I find giblets revolting! My mother always did it that way. I legit did not eat ANY gravy until adulthood because this was what I thought was universally meant by “gravy.â€

• Like 4

Can you use arrowroot or another non-wheat thickener, or would it make the gravy not taste right to you?

I have used it and it did work fine for the thickening. I put it in at the end, right before the cream, mixed with some room temp stock, like I would cornstarch. I usually make turkey gravy with butter and flour, chx stock, pan drippings, cream, S&P. 

I think it's too gelatinous, if that makes sense. At some point I'll get it. I got close the last time I made cream gravy, so there's hope.

• Like 3

I think my sister is peeved with me right now because none of my contributions to Thanksgiving dinner are traditional except the turkey, which my brother-in-law is preparing, otherwise she probably wouldn't like it either. Along with many here, we don't like the marshmallowed sweet potatoes or the evil fried onions from a can on the green beans. Don't care for pumpkin pie because of the crust. Don't like the jellied cranberry or mashed potatoes and the only stuffing we like is made with cornbread. We also don't eat those sweet, white dinner rolls, which make me think of glue.

• Like 1

Southern style green beans. You know, the kind they cook the he!! out of in bacon grease. Dh's family can't have Thanksgiving without them. They call them Tennessee green beans.

Stuffing made with giblets. Fortunately it's not a tradition in either of our families but I've had it when having the holiday with friends and someone else brought the stuffing. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks giblets are gag worthy.

I don't hate pie but I'm not a fan. Ddil's mother prides herself on her pie (and the pie lovers love her pie so I'm sure she's good at it). Since dss married seven years ago his MIL has been in charge of pie and brings several kinds, including pumpkin. I always feel like I have to have a tiny slice so as not to insult her. I can just imagine the shock. "Pie? You don't like pie? How can that be? Everyone loves pie!" She's a lovely person and would likely understand but since I don't really hate pie I just have a tiny slice. She's so proud of her pies. :)

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

Yams cooked with syrup and marshmallows. I like basic sweet potatoes, but the dressed up varieties are way too sweet for my taste buds.

Green bean casserole. Never tried one I've liked and I've given up on them.

Stove Top stuffing. I've been too spoiled with home made real versions, esp our own. Nothing Stove Top makes compares - not even close. I skip it (and anything that even looks like it).

Exactly the same here. I like different versions of all these things, but those traditional items - not my thing. I didn’t grow up with them, maybe they are an acquired taste.

Other than that, I’ll try anything, and probably enjoy it. I do miss traditional thanksgiving meals in NM, and the green chile egg casserole my friend’s mom used to make. And posole. Yum!

• Like 1

I don’t really like gravy. I never put it on potatos. It is not something I think about so there have been a number of Thanksgivings where we did not have any because I forgot to buy it. Mainly because I forgot about it’s exisitence!

As a kid we ate gravy over bread for dinner sometimes. Sometimes with a piece or two of lunch meat. But the main meal was fill up on bread and gravy. So that could be why I don’t eat it now.

• Like 2