Menu

Quark Chronicles

Ausmumof3

How solid is Quark Chronicles anatomy as a science program? For fourth and sixth grade.

I am still trying to figure out next year for science.

We could

Do physics as we did chemistry this year and it follows the four year cycle.

Do astronomy and earth science as in the WTM that lines up with medieval history

Do the science as per wayfarers which I may still use next year.

Quark anatomy is what's in wayfarers for the first half of the year.

The advantage is I already own it. The disadvantage is its only half the year which means I'm still going to have to buy something for the second half. And it doesn't stick to the well trained mind cycle. I don't mind that in some ways - I don't think it's critical but it will make sure we don't totally miss something.

I have been using Quark Chronicles last year and this year with my 1st/2nd grade boy. He really enjoyed the adventures and learned some things but not at a detailed level. I think that it is a wonderful book series and thoughtfully written. For best retention / more detailed learning I found I helpful to bring in outside activities (last year we used some experiments in the accompanying notebooks, did some Ellen mchenry activities, and pulled related worksheets from the internet as needed / this year we are using it in conjunction with Real Science Odyssey). I think that these modifications make it easy to customize the learning experience to another grade level - definitely could picture it for a fourth grader, not sure about a sixth grader but only because I don't spend time with sixth graders :).

We are using Quark Anatomy as part of our anatomy studies for the first half of this year, but I am supplementing A LOT.  We are also using various Ellen McHenry programs, lots of books on anatomy that I already owned and from which I am creating my own assignments, Human Body Detectives for fun, and another program that I picked up at a used book sale that is geared towards classroom teaching but that I'm able to adapt for just the two of them.  

We are not using the notebooks for Quark - we did for Botany but I decided to skip them for Zoology and again, supplemented with a lot of other resources.

My kids are 5th/6th grade this year and we are using Quark mostly because the kids are curious about what's going to happen.  I could easily drop it from Anatomy and still have a solid program with the rest of the things we are using.

• Like 1

I haven't used the Anatomy one yet, but the other two we used were very adequate when used along side the Notebook guide that has additional activities, resources, and reading scheduled alongside the Quark trajectory of topics. Here is a link to the Anatomy Notebook: http://www.lulu.com/shop/kathy-jo-devore-and-ernest-devore/quark-chronicles-anatomy-notebooking-pdf/ebook/product-22827158.html

I especially recommend the Ellen McHenry material to go along with Quark.

• Like 1