Menu

Quick help- how big a turkey to order (and not 1lb a person)

TravelingChris

I am trying to order a turkey.  Dh says, not a huge one but big enough for sandwiches, another dinner we will make with it (for potentially more people) and of course, regular Thanksgiving dinner.  There will be five of us.  Normal charts say one pound per person.  We have never bought that small since our largest Thanksgivings have been six people but there are no six lb. turkeys.  I think I normally order somewhere between 12 and 14 with no waste.  But what do you all say-  how much to order?

I am trying to order a turkey. Dh says, not a huge one but big enough for sandwiches, another dinner we will make with it (for potentially more people) and of course, regular Thanksgiving dinner. There will be five of us. Normal charts say one pound per person. We have never bought that small since our largest Thanksgivings have been six people but there are no six lb. turkeys. I think I normally order somewhere between 12 and 14 with no waste. But what do you all say- how much to order?

I have a 14 lb turkey for 8 people. Some tiny kid appetites and no huge eaters in the bunch. I expect turkey enough for dinner and some leftovers to divvy up and send home with the other family. We should get another meal or two out of them each plus stock from bones. I plan to freeze turkey pie filling if there’s any meat left by the weekend. My crew isn’t big on leftovers.