Menu

AoPS Counting/Probability or Number Theory pre-reqs

silver

My son is currently working through PreA. He really like what BA covered of Counting and the topics in PreA that overlap Number Theory. It looks like, from the AoPS site, that the Introduction to Algebra book is a pre-requisite for these books. Would it be possible to start on them without having done Algebra? Or is it really best to wait until after completing Intro to Algebra?

I can’t speak to if it would possible or not. I’m continually amazed at what some kids are capable of doing. Ya never know what you can do until ya try, but that said, AoPS recommends the Intro to Counting and Probability course prior to taking their Algebra B class (see their recommendations). My son took the class after Algebra A and enjoyed it.

• Like 2

I'd suggest they work best after the first half of the Algebra book, or anytime later. I think they need the basic algebra foundation to succeed. 

(My youngest kid did C&P after the full Algebra book. Then did geometry. Now is doing Number Theory this fall, and will begin the Intermediate Algebra -- Alg3-- book in the spring. This has been smooth and nice. No particular logic to why we waited for NT, just convenient timing.) 

• Like 1

One of my children did the number theory book after Miquon and Hands-On Equations, plus LOF Fractions, Decimals & Percents. Any algebra needed got figured out on the fly (that kid is my most math-intuitive one, though). I wouldn't try to do (or rather, we didn't try to do) the C&P book without algebra first, though (that particular kid did Jacobs, and then went to C&P).

• Like 1