Menu

I Hate The New Firefox

fairfarmhand

My computer updated and now Firefox is being so stupid,

So it's Chrome for me now. It's awful.

I just can't believe that they released that crap. I've always loved Firefox but this is ludicrous. I'm trying to Christmas shop on Amazon and my computer froze 3 times. Restart and use Chrome and it's perfect.

• Like 1

My computer updated and now Firefox is being so stupid,

So it's Chrome for me now. It's awful.

I just can't believe that they released that crap. I've always loved Firefox but this is ludicrous. I'm trying to Christmas shop on Amazon and my computer froze 3 times. Restart and use Chrome and it's perfect.

The new Firefox is SO SLOW.  Like 20 years ago dial-up modem slow. 

I'm switching to Chrome.

• Like 1

Yep, I switched to Chrome last week when I finally got sick of Firefox "not responding" more often than it was. 

I've been a Firefox user for over a decade, but no more.

I thought it was my 4 year old laptop saying good-bye. This was before the upgrade to "quantum." The freezing up is less often occurring now but still now and then. Dh also suggested Chrome but warned me that they keep track of "every key stroke." I wonder if Firefox is doing this as well but maybe it's less obvious?

• Like 2

I thought it was my 4 year old laptop saying good-bye. This was before the upgrade to "quantum." The freezing up is less often occurring now but still now and then. Dh also suggested Chrome but warned me that they keep track of "every key stroke." I wonder if Firefox is doing this as well but maybe it's less obvious?

Me too.  Until reading this thread, I thought the constant spinning circle with the "not responding" was due to my computer. 

• Like 2

A couple of years ago, our internet was sooooo slow so I called our service provider to complain.  One of the first things they asked was if we were using Firefox.  We switched to Chrome and I couldn't believe how much faster it was.  I really Opera, but I quit using it for some reason.  I can't remember why.

• Like 1

We use Google Chrome almost exclusively. I have Mozilla Firefox as my backup web browser, but rarely use it. However, in the past few weeks, I have had some (Startup issues) on this Windows 7 Professional (64 bit) laptop. In the process of dealing with that, I couldn't get Chrome to open. I uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome, twice, in the past few weeks.

I did read something about how Google probably has the best SPAM filters around, and how Firefox is probably better for Privacy reasons, but after reading this thread, I will probably only use Firefox if I can't launch Chrome and need to reinstall Chrome.  

They are both very good browsers, but certain versions can be very problematic.  

I never use Internet Explorer, but that's necessary to be able to use Windows Update.

Yup, me too. Except mine is only a year old, so I was TICKED. Fortunately the switch seems to have solved most of the issues.

• Like 2

Oh, this is so strange!  I just switched *back* to Firefox from Chrome because FF is so much faster now with this latest update than it was six months ago when I switched away.  I use the internet for work and it was stalling too much, so I sent to Chrome.  For some reason, I opened FF on my computer the other day and it updated.  When I tried it, I noticed right away how much faster it was.  I used it today for work and it was great. 

Besides the speed, what else about it didn't you like?  Other than the squared off corners of the tabs now, and the new speed, I haven't noticed much difference. I have an aversion to all-things-google because of the privacy issues. 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 2

I googled for web browser market share 2017 and the 2 links I looked at really surprised me. I had assumed, incorrectly, that Firefox and Chrome had approximately the same market share. As usual, when I assume, I am wrong. The differences in market share are huge.  Both of these charts show Chrome with a far larger market share than Firefox. Both of them show Internet Explorer, a browser I have installed only because it is required for the Microsoft Windows Updates, with a larger market share than Firefox.

https://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

https://www.netmarketshare.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=0&qpcustomd=0

I did launch Firefox a few minutes ago and I believe it said that it is a 32 bit version. Why they would install that on my 64 bit OS, I don't know. I am going to check that again and if that's correct, I will uninstall the 32 bit version of Firefox and try to install a 64 bit version.  

ETA: I was able to install the 64 bit version of Firefox, by clicking on Advanced Options or something like that and selecting 64 bit Windows. 

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

Dd and I have had good experiences so far with the FF update. It does look different, though. The main thing I don't like is the refresh button got moved to the left. While that makes sense--it's where the other navigation buttons are--I'm so used to it being on the right side that at first I thought they'd gotten rid of it.

• Like 1