Menu

Tell me about tire chains (snow)...

prairiewindmomma

more about style than particular brand, depends upon your car and road.   a plowed highway/freeway?

most passenger cars do fine with z-cable chains (low clearance, and you always have chains in contact with road).   you need to know your exact tire size - one size doesn't fit all.   not even for the same class of car.

vulcan tire is a site that has been helpful in the past.  it has the different styles, and driving conditions for each.  you can  input your tire size, it will bring them all up.

and a review of best chains for 2017  http://bestreviews.com/best-snow-chains

eta:  unless you're driving in deep snow or ice, (in a big truck/suv) you don't need "chain" chains.  most cars dont' like them anyway.  (I have awd- and my car wouldn't tolerate anything but cable.   I bought myself some spikes spiders.   easy to put on and off, cost twice as much, and no clearance issues.  some states accept them as "chain required" traction devices - some don't.)

be sure and read your OWNER'S MANUAL for what it says about chains for your car.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve almost lost my life twice while driving in slick snow conditions, and not being careful enough. Was doing a bit of research on snow traction devices and other safety measures to adopt during adverse snow conditions, so thought of sharing it here with the other community members as well.

No matter how sturdy you are, or how rugged your vehicle has been, snowy days are challenging – always and for everyone. The very simple and obvious reason is that driving in snow can be dangerous due to the slick conditions; and because your speed gets significantly reduced, there are chances of the tires spinning out and sliding.

First and foremost - A very basic question.
Is it illegal driving in snow?

According to section 41D of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...52/section/41D), you must be having a clear view of the road ahead before setting off. Make sure that you have a considerable level of visibility through every glass pane of the vehicle, and that your wind-shield is de-iced on the outside and de-misted on the inside. Failure to do so would not only incur a fine, but most importantly, would also put your life as well as the lives of others in danger.

I have been living In Denver, Colorado for the last 8 years and here, if weather conditions require, CDOT implements Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain laws. Motorists are alerted to an active Traction Law or Chain Law by highway signage. If someone here lives in Colorado, he/she can subscribe to the text/ email updates from CDOT. During storms and severe snow conditions, Code 16 is implemented, which means that every vehicle on the roadway must have tire chains or alternative snow traction aid. The fines range from $100 to $700. I would recommend you all, even if you own a 4*4 to check for your state laws regarding the use of traction aid for tires and driving in snow. Learn about chain laws in each US state

Also, tire chains are a legal requirement on all European mountain roads. Roadside checks are carried out and drivers may be fined if they do not have a set in their vehicle. In European ski resorts, snow socks don’t meet the required standards. 
If you’re looking to purchase snow chains, here is a link to several options, and be sure to purchase the appropriate size for your vehicles’ tires. I personally found the Thule XG-12 to be as user friendly and easy to install as snow chains can get. One more thing, I have seen people driving with snow chains on hard surfaces. This is something that is very basic, but please keep in mind that snow chains are meant to be used in heavy snow only. Driving with snow chains on will not only damage the road, but also damage the chain set you’re using and your vehicle components as well if abused.

Guys, remember that, it is always better to be prepared than to be in any unfortunate accident. These laws have been imposed for our own safety as well as the safety of other people. Always keep a set of good tire chains when you head out in deep snow.
And keep in mind, “When riding on snow, you better drive slowâ€. Be safe and a very happy new year to all the members and their families biggrin.gif

Edited by p7795
  • Like 1